Closed Dirt placed with Unbreakable Wand never grows grass

S

Sorbe

Summary of the problem Dirt placed with Unbreakable Wand never grows grass

Pack Version 2.5.4

What is the bug? If you place down a pad of earth the usual way and add one block of grass, the grass will spread somewhat slowly to all of the dirt blocks converting the rest of the dirt to grass.

If you place any of the dirt blocks with an Unbreakable Wand (4339:12), those dirt blocks never convert to grass. If you then break these wand placed blocks and put them back manually, the grass spreads to the manually placed blocks.

No dirt spreading from wand placed blocks continues across logins so there is some stored serialized data that is not correct.

Very probably a mod bug, might be modpack "integration" but somewhat unlikely.

I did not test the Extra Utilities builder wands for similar issues.

Mod & Version BetterBuildersWands-0.6.1-1.7.10r80+358ee26.jar
extrautilities-1.2.12.jar

Link to log file

Is it repeatable? Yes.

Known Fix Manually place all dirt blocks instead of using the wand, if you want them to become grass.

Plausible Guess: I would guess that all dirt blocks are "tracked" somehow for possible grass spreading and that the unbreakable wand does not add them correctly to the list when it places them in the world.

Darkosto

Jul 29, 2019
This mechanic works just fine, I've placed thousands of dirt blocks with the wand and grown grass that way. Make sure you're not trying to grow grass at night and make sure you're using normal dirt.

S

Sorbe

I tried this over many day/night cycles and actual days. I did repro this in several places and times.

I'll also verify that this was truly Dirt (3) rather than Coarse Dirt(3), finally I'll retest this in multiple biome, and I'll post the results.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
I tried this over many day/night cycles and actual days. I did repro this in several places and times.

I'll also verify that this was truly Dirt (3) rather than Coarse Dirt(3), finally I'll retest this in multiple biome, and I'll post the results.
Is this unbreakable wand supposed to make your placed blocks unbreakable for survival players?

Because that would completely explain this behaviour.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
I see,
However, can you break the dirt block in survival?
If so, can you move the dirt block using a piston?
If so, if you first place a dirt block with the unbreakable wand, and then place grass blocks adjacent to it manually, does this suddenly enable the grass to spread to the dirt block?

S

Sorbe

Yes, he block breaks normally. It is in no way an "unbreaking" block.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
Just testing if it's become a tile entity somehow, or if it needs a block update of some sort.

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
You haven't answered this question:
Do pasture seeds work?(drop one grass(the one you get when bonemealing grass blocks) in a manapool with some manager in it)

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
You haven't answered this question:
Do pasture seeds work?(drop one grass(the one you get when bonemealing grass blocks) in a manapool with some manager in it)
New chapter in the Lexica Botania:
"Manager generating flora"

But indeed,
Piston?
Adjacent block?
Pasture seed?