Problem [Direwolf20 Modpack] Items To Ban

McScavenger

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Guys!

It's been a while since I've played modded Minecraft, and I've been wanting to get back into it. I'm starting a server with a gaming community, providing multiple worlds (Survival & Creative), and multiple Mystcraft worlds (Regular, Quarry World, etc.).

The problem I've run into is that, since I haven't played for a while, I have lost track of most of the items in the game. I've googled a bit, but haven't found much useful. Some sites say one item is bugged out, some say it's not. Some say there's items that corrupt worlds, some say there's none.

Talking about the direwolf20 mod pack, what are the items that are potentially harmful for the server (e.g. world corruption, server crashes, major lag), and what are items that should be given to trusted people only (potential grief, overpowered items)? It'd be great if someone could link me to a list.

Regards,
McScavenger

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries are still lag makers, however Ender quarries are much more server friendly and terrain friendly. Instead of breaking blocks, they simply replace the blocks with dirt. I suggest possibly banning quarries and have your players make ender quarries instead. Mining lasers from IC2 are of course good griefing tools, so trusted people only. Same for the excavation focus from Thaumcraft. Overpowered items, I don't think much of the term to be honest. Theres the Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI equipment, but that stuff requires several netherstars and tons of infusions. Very end game, so no point in banning them. Openblocks tanks can be lag makers if there is enough of them(they do a lot of ticking...)Logistics pipes can cause server lag and FPS lag, but only if done by someone who doesn't understand how Buildcraft pipes work. Thaumcraft taint can be bad for terrain and I've heard rumors it can cause server lag, so if you want to disable it, theres a couple config options in the Thaumcraft config, but this has to be done before you generate the world. Mystcraft is something that should of course be restricted.

Reactions: McScavenger

McScavenger

Jul 29, 2019
Quarries are still lag makers, however Ender quarries are much more server friendly and terrain friendly. Instead of breaking blocks, they simply replace the blocks with dirt. I suggest possibly banning quarries and have your players make ender quarries instead. Mining lasers from IC2 are of course good griefing tools, so trusted people only. Same for the excavation focus from Thaumcraft. Overpowered items, I don't think much of the term to be honest. Theres the Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI equipment, but that stuff requires several netherstars and tons of infusions. Very end game, so no point in banning them. Openblocks tanks can be lag makers if there is enough of them(they do a lot of ticking...)Logistics pipes can cause server lag and FPS lag, but only if done by someone who doesn't understand how Buildcraft pipes work. Thaumcraft taint can be bad for terrain and I've heard rumors it can cause server lag, so if you want to disable it, theres a couple config options in the Thaumcraft config, but this has to be done before you generate the world. Mystcraft is something that should of course be restricted.

Josecordob91

Jul 29, 2019
Just with these measures, corruption prevents mods and world? We have already been corrupted world mods and on 2 occasions and do not want to repeat a third.

Thank you!

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Use MyTown. Then you will only have to worry about restricting items that cause lag, such as anchors and loaders, and only ban items that are just very glitchy and cause crashes. With MyTown, you don't ever have to worry about griefing from mining lasers, nukes, turtles, etc. I let my players run around with them without breaking a sweat over worrying about grief.

It takes some getting used to when setting it up, because it's technically a server side only *mod*, not a plugin, meaning it hooks extremely well into mods without requiring your players to download it to join.

Reactions: McScavenger

McScavenger

Jul 29, 2019
Use MyTown. Then you will only have to worry about restricting items that cause lag, such as anchors and loaders, and only ban items that are just very glitchy and cause crashes. With MyTown, you don't ever have to worry about griefing from mining lasers, nukes, turtles, etc. I let my players run around with them without breaking a sweat over worrying about grief.

It takes some getting used to when setting it up, because it's technically a server side only *mod*, not a plugin, meaning it hooks extremely well into mods without requiring your players to download it to join.
Great idea, thanks!