{Direwolf20 Mod pack} How did you solve your EU/MJ needs?

Fiab

Jul 29, 2019
So, to start of honestly I were looking for a method to get the "infinite lava from nether" trick going using the direwolf20 mod pack. Sooo yeah, I were kinda unseccessfull with that and crawled on here to search for help (Yes I did search first :D)

But instead of asking directly for help, I figured I could make this slightly more fun? By asking how YOU solve YOUR EU/MJ needs!

Give the rest of us a somewhat description of how you prefer to deal with this issue, do you set up a nuclear reactor? Do you prefer generators running on coke cole? Engines powering a powernet driven by lava in the overworld?

And tell us why you think this suits you the best, why you think it's the most cost efficient, or admit that your not smart enough like me to get anything but geothermals and pumping lava from small pools in the overworld to work ;)

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
MJ is from initially a pair of Hobbyists steam engines, followed by an array of 8-10 magmatics (fueled by netherrack in a crucible) once I have a nether portal, sometime later a full size biofuel burning boiler with a bunch of industrial steam engines provides more than I need.
EU initially a geothermal gen (lava cells filled by liquid transposer or hand if I can handle the RSI) followed by an array of 8-14 geothermals after a nether trip (fueled by netherrack in a crucible) sometime later a reactor and\or a second full size boiler with a couple turbines just for fun really, geothermals are stupidly overpowered. I may this time run a Steves Carts woodcutter\scaffolding or charcoal gen setup just because I can.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
You should remember that TE nerfed the Crucible so I didn't notice it, since I used an older config and he didn't force an update, my Value was 5.000 (I increased it from 4.000) and the new Value is 8.000 MJ for a Block of Netherrack to melt into Lava. Even then you still have about 10.000 EU excess which should be enough.

Although setting it up properly might cause some trouble, because you can easily drain the Lava without resupplying enough MJ to the crucible to refill it. With requiring 8.000 MJ you need to ensure that about half of your MJ flows back into the crucible. The best way is to make the crucible power at an even number of engines (I think 2, 4 or 6 is possible) and make half of them feed only the crucible with energy while the other half feeds your machines. If you are more used to the way they work you can change the design, but for the start that should work.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
You should remember that TE nerfed the Crucible so I didn't notice it, since I used an older config and he didn't force an update, my Value was 5.000 (I increased it from 4.000) and the new Value is 8.000 MJ for a Block of Netherrack to melt into Lava. Even then you still have about 10.000 EU excess which should be enough.

Although setting it up properly might cause some trouble, because you can easily drain the Lava without resupplying enough MJ to the crucible to refill it. With requiring 8.000 MJ you need to ensure that about half of your MJ flows back into the crucible. The best way is to make the crucible power at an even number of engines (I think 2, 4 or 6 is possible) and make half of them feed only the crucible with energy while the other half feeds your machines. If you are more used to the way they work you can change the design, but for the start that should work.

Atm I have 10 magmatics running from a single crucible and truthfully I haven't even noticed the nerf sure it burns netherrack a shade quicker but hey I've got a large amount of nether to mine out and if I find myself falling behind a bit I may have a reason to actually use a quarry. Haven't got my Geothermals running yet in my current world but if they seem to require more than a single crucible for 5 or so meh I'll just wait a bit and power them off the RC boiler\Ind Steam Engine combo which I found in my last world was overkill by a large margin, I do also have the hardmode Forestry config enabled so I may have some reason to produce metric fucktons of MJ :D

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Well Lemming said that 6 is the maximum that is efficient, if you use more they may run dry if they have to do constant work (you can power a lot more if you ensure that they can recover, because there energy is not required permanently) like for a quarry.

The Geothermal still works the same, although you might need a bit more Engines. Normally I make one Crucible that fills 5 Engines which feed the crucible and store all the lava I don't use up in a RC-Tank, which will power more Engines or Geothermals. The only change to the setup is that you only have 10.000 excess MJ instead of 14.000 but the amount of Lava produced does not change.

It still works the same. Depending on if you use the Mindcrack or DW20-Pack you can even use GregsTech to get 24 EU/t with 30.000 EU per 1000mB Lava, which is a nice improvement over normal Geothermals (the new Generator is the Thermal Generator).

wolfpax181

Jul 29, 2019
I use the RP2 engines to fill my MJ needs, though I use the magma engines for the rare need in the nether. For EU I'm actually using a stack of generators attached to a MFSU (...if I got the name right). I raided a few nether fortresses with a soulstone, then set up an overworld tier 5 blaze farm that still feeds rods into the system faster than I can use them. With enough generators, the only difference between them and a nuke is the amount of space they take up at the cost of being safe from explosions.

Fiab

Jul 29, 2019
Ehh woah guys... Here I am struggling to find lava in the overworld to pump back into my full size iron tank, having 2 geo thermals powering everything I need(currently, and lava is draining empty)... Most of what you guys are beyond my current knowledge. Would it be OK if I could PM one of you guys (or ones later) to ask for maybe a written tutorial? :D Heck, or even join my server for an hour and have some fun dissing me

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
EU/MJ? I went with charge. I setup a decent factorization system at start, as I found 10ish diamonds and 40ish silver, 50ish lead.

It's not too bad, and my gold sits in the crystalizer since I swear that stuff is more rare than diamonds at times.

huldu

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used the crucible and I wonder how do you supply it with a constant flow of netherrack?

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, all my Mj is coming from a boiler that is being fed charcoal. I get the wood from a steve's carts treefarm. A retriever pulls wood from the cargo manager and puts it into a powered furnace, which outputs to the boiler. That's regulated with buildcraft gates and a timer. I may end up having to add a second powered furnace when I finally make the boiler max size. My eu comes from three geothermal generators. Although I might need to add a few. I have Two magma crucibles supplying a tank with magma, they are fed with cobble from an igneous extruder. They produce more lava than the generators use, but I added gregtech in so I have plenty to centrifuge for tin, copper and electrum. Later once I start setting up thaumcraft I'll have plenty of tin and copper to transmute.

It probably isn't the most efficient setup in any way shape or form, but I like it because it runs without my intervention (once the boiler is at max heat) and it seems to produce enough for my needs right now.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I've never used the crucible and I wonder how do you supply it with a constant flow of netherrack?
Early on I just manually mine a forestry backpack\inventory full when in the Nether and keep a hopper manually stocked storing excess in a barrel, later I have used Logi pipes to supply the crucibles from my stock drop. In my current world, RP2 is going to feature heavily so I'll have to work out some sort of manager feed I suspect but that'll be fun :)

gusgillis1

Jul 29, 2019
Mine is actually pretty simple(ish), I just have a RP Windmill with around 30 solar panels hooking up to I think 15 battery boxes, then just use a Blulectric engine into a redstone energy cell and boom, tons of energy :D

laton95

Jul 29, 2019
I have a couple of barrel fulls of blaze rods kept supplied from a top tier spawner (easy to make in nether fortresses) piped into 5 normal generators. It is enough to power a mass fab + some misc machines. It is also easily expandable!

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
My favorite trick for starting up EU generation involves water mills in combination with a deployer, filter and retriever. Water mills are cheaper than most other generators and produce a solid 1EU/tick when supplied with a bucket. With RP tubes, you can send up a system on a timer that pulls empty buckets from the water mills and sends them to a deployer next to a water source. The deployer will fill the bucket and the filter will pull out full buckets only. You'll need a bit of RP2 power for the retriever, but a single RP solar or thermopile will suffice. I prefer watermills to solar because you get 2 watermills per generator, it can run at night, and it's a lot more fun to look at. Note this system is best suited to setting up a basic power supply early in the game- you'll need to expand a LOT to produce sizable amounts of EU. By the time you build your first MFSU, you may want to switch to another source.

If you need a tutorial, I think Direwolf did a version of this sometime in early season 4 of his single player series. (But I had the idea first! His was just... more efficient.)