[Direwolf 20 1.7] 1.0.3 Wither Killer

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
plus side using this method is that killer joe's count as player kills, so you should be collecting division sigils.
I am really enjoying the Killer Joe. I setup one on a small cursed earth mob farm(9x5) with a couple fans pushing the mobs toward it. Using an Etheral sword with Looting 3 has given me a ridiculous amount of mob drops. Of all the methods I have ever used for mob farms, it is my favorite so far. It is fully self contained and powered with 2 zombie generators and 2 vats. I made a small sugar farm and use the zombie flesh I get to make the nutrient stuff which powers a pulverizer for the sugar and AE2 network to store all the drops. It makes a very simple, compact, and self contained system.

francisyzy

Jul 29, 2019
I just built a box out of Ender IO reinforced obsidian with a 3x1 hole in the side facing me. I manually spawn and kill them. After 60+ kills, I have not had an escape. After seeing the Direwolf20 video where they nuked Fireballs base, I noticed Killer Joes and Tesseracts did not blow up. So that should mean the wither can't hurt them either. A couple killer Joes with Etheral swords, fed nutrient via tesseract should hold up to the initial blast for automation, plus killer joe collects XP. I just can't see a need to automate them fully. They just aren't needed for enough things. Even if you want them for power, it only takes a few minutes to get a bunch, which will make a stupid amount of power. By the point you are ready to deal with Withers, most people have a good power gen setup already.
I enjoy automating some things, but others I just like to do manually. I found too much automation gets me to a point where my world no longer needs me.

I have used this method but if you place the killer Joe too near to the cage, it might get blown up from the blue skulls. It has happened to me once so I placed the killer Joe far away. Also the killer Joe cannot keep up with constant the wither spawn.

francisyzy

Jul 29, 2019
The wither's bounding box is 4 tall, 1 wide and 1 deep once spawned, so it easily escapes through 1x1 holes in any surface vertically. It can also glitch through blocks when confined to a space only 3 high, since it's 4 blocks tall. I would expect escape to be a fairly common occurrence when using an MFR laser to kill the wither.

It only escapes if it sees a target. It will just sit there until it has something to shoot. I had wither escape once but after that, I added loads more warded blocks, they haven't escaped much.

francisyzy

Jul 29, 2019
a 3x3 hollow box made of any material can trap a wither and render his attacks harmless. All you do is build him on top a piston and switch it up before he explodes so his head gets stuck where the hollow space is. Then you can just beat him to death.

I think you are referring to this trap method. It seems to only work with wither proof materials. The wither initial explosion is strong to break other non wither proof blocks.