[Direwolf 20 1.7] 1.0.3 Wither Killer

francisyzy

Jul 29, 2019
Since DW20 pack does not have anything that kills the wither quickly/ in one hit, I decided to try a different method of killing the wither: http://imgur.com/a/MGxyC

Take note that this have to built near bedrock.

If there is requests to see how I built the skull farm, please let me know. I will then take some screenshots of how I did the skull farm.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I've always had the problem that withers would simply ghost through blocks if their cage is too small
Well, my containment is only 3 by 3 by 4 interior with a 5 by 5 by 6 exterior without the corners, and a 1 by 1 by 2 opening for me. Seems to hold it well enough.
That is why I asked about the 1 by 1 by 1 opening on the floor of the containment, would that be enough for it to escape?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I like it. My last method was an Autonomous Activator box. Etheric Swords for everyone! it tends to fly away from the box and with it being surrounded it couldn't do much but die.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I've been fooling around with this task for one of my low lag machines and my favorite method thus far is a box of reinforced obsidian from EnderIO that he falls down into through a 1x1 opening in the top and once he gets there he gets his ass handed to him by an MFR mob counter turning on 3 IC2 tesla coils. A rapid item valve from SFM can easily collect the drops through the box walls. Toss in 7 AA's to form the wither up above and you've got a "push button kill wither" device.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
I've been fooling around with this task for one of my low lag machines and my favorite method thus far is a box of reinforced obsidian from EnderIO that he falls down into through a 1x1 opening in the top and once he gets there he gets his ass handed to him by an MFR mob counter turning on 3 IC2 tesla coils. A rapid item valve from SFM can easily collect the drops through the box walls. Toss in 7 AA's to form the wither up above and you've got a "push button kill wither" device.
You mean, the Wither as it spawns, fits through a 1 by 1 opening?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, thats why it has to be built at bedrock.
You don't have to since a lot of mods nowadays adds their own version of Wither-proof blocks.

Ender IO, Extra Utilities, Practicalities, Thaumcraft (Focus of Warding), etc.

Knowing that a 1 by 1 opening will allow Wither to drop in but not allow it to escape is a great information.

francisyzy

Jul 29, 2019
You don't have to since a lot of mods nowadays adds their own version of Wither-proof blocks.

Ender IO, Extra Utilities, Practicalities, Thaumcraft (Focus of Warding), etc.

Knowing that a 1 by 1 opening will allow Wither to drop in but not allow it to escape is a great information.

It has to be built at bedrock if you wanted to use the laser drill to kill it as if it is higher than bedrock, the wither will most likely escape after falling through the 1*1 at the bottom for the laser drill

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I build this setup in my world aswell and it's pretty reliable, most of the drops get caught by the item node.
though I did had a bit of a problem when I automated the wither spawning that at one point the withers started to escape, though I could quickly kill them and restart the system.

why and how they escape are still a mystery to me, as I had a 3x3x3 room with 5 wide walls on each side that were all warded, so they somehow went up through the 1x1 hole that I used for the laser and somehow evaded the laser long enough till they could explode blocks around themselves and create a room to stay escape

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I've started using a drawbridge with 3 reinforced obsidian in it to trap his punk ass. Computercraft or any old redstone device can autobuild him and then after a suitable delay deploy the drawbridge such that he is caged in a 1x1x4 box with no way out.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
It has to be built at bedrock if you wanted to use the laser drill to kill it as if it is higher than bedrock, the wither will most likely escape after falling through the 1*1 at the bottom for the laser drill
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm not killing it with the MFR Laser Drill, that is the reason why I'm not taking the bedrock into account.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
a 3x3 hollow box made of any material can trap a wither and render his attacks harmless. All you do is build him on top a piston and switch it up before he explodes so his head gets stuck where the hollow space is. Then you can just beat him to death.

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
I build this setup in my world aswell and it's pretty reliable, most of the drops get caught by the item node.
though I did had a bit of a problem when I automated the wither spawning that at one point the withers started to escape, though I could quickly kill them and restart the system.

why and how they escape are still a mystery to me, as I had a 3x3x3 room with 5 wide walls on each side that were all warded, so they somehow went up through the 1x1 hole that I used for the laser and somehow evaded the laser long enough till they could explode blocks around themselves and create a room to stay escape

The wither's bounding box is 4 tall, 1 wide and 1 deep once spawned, so it easily escapes through 1x1 holes in any surface vertically. It can also glitch through blocks when confined to a space only 3 high, since it's 4 blocks tall. I would expect escape to be a fairly common occurrence when using an MFR laser to kill the wither.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
The wither's bounding box is 4 tall, 1 wide and 1 deep once spawned, so it easily escapes through 1x1 holes in any surface vertically. It can also glitch through blocks when confined to a space only 3 high, since it's 4 blocks tall. I would expect escape to be a fairly common occurrence when using an MFR laser to kill the wither.

and seeing as the wither's HP is quite high it would probably survive when ghosting through numerous blocks untill it finds an open area.
creatures with relatively low HP quickly die when ghosting through walls, such as animals because ghosting through blocks does do damage

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
I just built a box out of Ender IO reinforced obsidian with a 3x1 hole in the side facing me. I manually spawn and kill them. After 60+ kills, I have not had an escape. After seeing the Direwolf20 video where they nuked Fireballs base, I noticed Killer Joes and Tesseracts did not blow up. So that should mean the wither can't hurt them either. A couple killer Joes with Etheral swords, fed nutrient via tesseract should hold up to the initial blast for automation, plus killer joe collects XP. I just can't see a need to automate them fully. They just aren't needed for enough things. Even if you want them for power, it only takes a few minutes to get a bunch, which will make a stupid amount of power. By the point you are ready to deal with Withers, most people have a good power gen setup already.
I enjoy automating some things, but others I just like to do manually. I found too much automation gets me to a point where my world no longer needs me.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I just built a box out of Ender IO reinforced obsidian with a 3x1 hole in the side facing me. I manually spawn and kill them. After 60+ kills, I have not had an escape. After seeing the Direwolf20 video where they nuked Fireballs base, I noticed Killer Joes and Tesseracts did not blow up. So that should mean the wither can't hurt them either. A couple killer Joes with Etheral swords, fed nutrient via tesseract should hold up to the initial blast for automation, plus killer joe collects XP. I just can't see a need to automate them fully. They just aren't needed for enough things. Even if you want them for power, it only takes a few minutes to get a bunch, which will make a stupid amount of power. By the point you are ready to deal with Withers, most people have a good power gen setup already.
I enjoy automating some things, but others I just like to do manually. I found too much automation gets me to a point where my world no longer needs me.

plus side using this method is that killer joe's count as player kills, so you should be collecting division sigils.