Direction for a noob admin

Q

Quantum_Pi

Heya All

I hope the professional admins here can give me a bit of guidance to running a server and keeping your community happy.

I would like to stress that I have read up quite a bit and this post is mostly for clearing up some confusion and shearing personal experience to learn from.

Now, I was asked by a close friend to start up a server on his dedicated server (windows OS). I decided to go for FTB's infinity Evolved pack simply because its a sizable pack with all the mods people love... or hate depending on view point. It also have the build in expert mode meaning I don't have to go fiddling with recipes.

Setting up the server was childsplay, except for a few hiccups that I cant fix but not of importance now.

Where I'm at a loss is after server setup, getting your permissions setup. There's some info here and there on the web but nothing with clear explanations. I'd like to point out here that a lot of information out there keeps on referencing bukkit plugins and since bukkit is "technically" dead, it makes my skin crawl to think I have to somehow work that into the server. Have tried Thermos on a simple test server on my home pc and it works but I don't know if the security plugin's permissions will clash with the ForgeEssencials permissions.

That said. I have created Guest and Member groups as referenced but a thread in the FTB forum and by FE's wiki with success. Here is where I'm confused, do I have to stay online and manually add every new player to the members group? cause that would be a little screwed up.

I am used to playing on servers where you get to do your standard "/register <password>" , but I thinks this is a plugin.
Same for the "/tpa" "/tpaccept" commands for players

So in essence, can someone give me a better explanation of how FE's permissions work once a player logs in for the first time?
I would also like to know what the more experienced admins have server side to help with security and player permissions or suggestions that might be better than what I'm currently running.

Kind regards
QP

john01dav

Nov 30, 2013
If you're on < 1.7, use Thermos, Cauldron, or KCauldron with a bukkit plugin like PermissionsEx. Yes, Bukkit is technically dead, but it is continued by the very much alive Spigot project.
If you're on 1.10 or later, use Sponge + LuckPerms. Both of these have great documentation.

I've never used the Forge server admining mods since getting something like Sponge working is extremely easy and opens up a much wider variety of much more compatible plugins.

Q

Quantum_Pi

Thanks for the reply john01dav.

I did in the mean time do a test server with Thermos installed. The plugins worked but for one or other reason I could not use the /stop command in the cmd anymore... or any other command. But could still use it from within the game itself.

I'll take a look at PermissionsEx thank you, haven't seen it on my search for perms plugins.

Kind regards
QP