Dimensional Chunkloading?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

CloudOfDust

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried this many times but never seemed to get it to work. Do railcraft anchors work, or do I need some magical block? Is it even possible in singleplayer, or am I just an idiot?

Gothicmj666

Jul 29, 2019
make sure you have a decent amount of ram if you want to load more then just the nether and overworld. turn it into a LAN server and use the railcraft world anchors. Always works for me.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I've tried this many times but never seemed to get it to work. Do railcraft anchors work, or do I need some magical block? Is it even possible in singleplayer, or am I just an idiot?
In the past it was not possible, but it should work fine now.
I believe the only chunk loading block in the pack right now is the world anchor, but it is working for me.
Can you explain what you are trying a bit better?

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
Could you be more specific on RAM requirements or estimates?

This solves a lot of problems for running quarries solo without scarring nice landscapes in the overworld.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
In the past it was not possible, but it should work fine now.
I believe the only chunk loading block in the pack right now is the world anchor, but it is working for me.
Can you explain what you are trying a bit better?

Technically the quarry is a chunk loader too. A pretty big one in fact, capable of loading 25 chunks.

Could you be more specific on RAM requirements or estimates?

This solves a lot of problems for running quarries solo without scarring nice landscapes in the overworld.

Extremely variable, and the more the merrier. I personally run 2 gigs for my server, 4 gigs for my client ( HD textures can eat a lot fast ), and have another 2 gigs for everything else such as OS ( 8 gigs total naturally. )

32 bit you max out at 2 gigs minus your video cards RAM, so you definitely wanna be running 64bit.

Note: Virtual Memory pretty much doesn't count. Most peoples hard drives are still incredibly slow, and so any virtual memory will also be incredibly slow. In fact, it often makes things worse. Windows trying to add 16 gigs of virtual memory doesn't help. I always set my virtual memory to 1 gig and make sure it's on a hard drive separate from both my OS and my games. ( A data drive. )

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Without HD-Textures you should never run into issues with 2gigs for the client. But yes, HD-textures eat a lot so more information about the system + how you play would make things a lot easier.

But well Railcraft-Anchors should work, at least they do for me. And they work regardless of your memory (minecraft should just crash if you run out of memory). I noticed that sometimes after reloading the game you need to visit the age first to make the anchor work, but after that the age stays loaded.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I noticed that sometimes after reloading the game you need to visit the age first to make the anchor work, but after that the age stays loaded.

This is a result of the recent changes to MC (basicly it is running a server for SP now too, which i assume most know). As a result the Client needs to send the server a request to load the age otherwise the server will not load it. After it is loaded though the anchor will keep it loaded

enoch

Jul 29, 2019
World anchors do work, as well as anchor sentinels, but anchor carts do not, in my experience. Anyone able to get anchor carts to work?

CloudOfDust

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the help guys, I normally only allow FTB to use about 2k RAM, but I can increase it if it becomes a problem. The problem before was probably that I was trying to do it in 1.2.5. But since SP runs a server internally, do I need to make it a LAN server? Shoudn't the internal server work just as well?