Difference between hamachi and basic setup

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
What is the point of hamachi? Isn't simply downloading the server and using your own ip easier? I suppose you wouldn't want to give your ip to everyone, but on a 2 person server is hamachi even worth it?

Also in your opinion which runs better? By basic set up I mean downloading the ftb server, port forwarding, then using your computer's ip to connect.

Is the whole point of hamachi to not have to port forward? Or is it to keep your ip from other people (besides hamachi)

Sorry about the confusion :/

picapi_

Jul 29, 2019
What is the point of hamachi? Isn't simply downloading the server and using your own ip easier? I suppose you wouldn't want to give your ip to everyone, but on a 2 person server is hamachi even worth it?

Also in your opinion which runs better? By basic set up I mean downloading the ftb server, port forwarding, then using your computer's ip to connect.

Is the whole point of hamachi to not have to port forward? Or is it to keep your ip from other people (besides hamachi)

Sorry about the confusion :/

Everyone uses hamarchi for different reasons, but unless you want to mask your IP or have slight extra security, It's really more hassle to install programs etc. I don't know too much as my small server is hosted for me.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else have an input? If not it's fine, I'll take what ever information I can get.

I'm assuming that what I've been calling basic setup is using my own computer as a host, and my personal ip as the address. I rather not buy a hosting address because 40$ a month would eventually add up to a computer that can host a server itself.

I just didn't understand what that program was, and don't want to start doing weird stuff because a tutorial told me to. I like to understand exactly what in doing first.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
Hamachi is bad and can affect things in bad ways and is not reccomendeed by anybody on these forums, mostly people (kids) who don't know how or can't port forward use it. However thee is the rare exception where a person actually needs it.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Well luckily after days of trying to get my friend able to play on my small 2 person server, I came to the conclusion my router was going out. I noticed after the first port forward my internet was as slow as I've ever seen.

To make a long story short I bought a 200$ router and we both can play with minimal lag. It sucks because my game room is upstairs so I can't hard wire my computer to my router. Luckily the wifi is bad a§§ enough to run the server.

I had a bad feeling about hamachi from the first time I seen it used in a tutorial. Port forwarding isn't hard at all, but it may have been what broke my old cheap 50$ router. It worked fine till I port forwarded it. I also tried to run it through wifi. Poor router didn't stand a chance XD