Did they change energy conduits?

Gamewolf

Jul 29, 2019
So last time I played back in 1.4.7 energy conduits used to transfer mj, but now when I tried it on the monster modpack it doesn't seem to work. I can't seem to get power from a stirling engine into a energy cell directly, interestingly tho, I can do it backwards (from the energy cell into the engine) which the quickly overheats the engine. I saw that thermal expansion got it's own power system nowadays, did they remove the mj transfer then?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Conduits handle RF, but are able to convert RF into MJ at a 10:1 ratio. Energy cells can now only store and output RF. You cannot convert MJ into RF.

Gamewolf

Jul 29, 2019
Conduits handle RF, but are able to convert RF into MJ at a 10:1 ratio. Energy cells can now only store and output RF. You cannot convert MJ into RF.
Fair enough. One more question then, is it possible to in some way get a redstone signal from an energy cell? The way I set it up currently is that i have stirling engines that send power to a mj consumer which then transforms it to rf and stores it in an energy cell, but when the energy cell was full the engines kept going and exploded, so I could use a way to detect if the cell is full.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Redstone comparators will output a signal based upon how full the cells are.

Gamewolf

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone comparators will output a signal based upon how full the cells are.
Oh, didn't even know that something like that existed ^^. would it be possible to use a computercraft computer to measure the strength of the signal and have the computer output a redstone signal unless the cell is full?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
It's possible, however I don't know as I don't use CC. I think the same can be achieved with Project Red logic gates though.

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
Computers can get the analogue value of a redstone signal, I can't remember the method though. Someone on reddit made a setup that used the MFR PRC.

mrkirby153

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, didn't even know that something like that existed ^^. would it be possible to use a computercraft computer to measure the strength of the signal and have the computer output a redstone signal unless the cell is full?

Why use computercraft? If you have Project Red installed, then you could just use this: http://puu.sh/784g3.jpg
method. The Project Red comparator will only output if the cell is 100% full. I've only tested this with a redstone energy cell and it seems to work fine.

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
This program will sit to the left of a comparator and checks once a minute if the signal is 14 (or 15) send out a redstone signal down. It will then once a minute check if the signal reaches 2( or 1 or 0) and then it will turn off the redstone signal down. It will default to having the redstone signal off. Very simple program. If it makes any difference I'm using a resonant energy cell... Might need to tweak the if statements to have lower values if the other energy cells acts differently with the comparator.

Code:
rising = true
while(true) do
  energy = rs.getAnalogueInput("right")
  print(energy)
  if (rising) then
    if (energy>13) then
      rs.setBundledOutput("bottom",1)
      rising = false
      print("Engines turning off")
    end
  else
    if (energy<3) then
      rs.setBundledOutput("bottom",0)
      rising = true
      print("Engines turning on")
    end
  end 
  sleep(60)
end

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Why not just use steam dynamos instead of stirling engines? The steam dynamo will automatically throttle down once there is no longer anything downstream requesting power. It also won't explode.

Reactions: PierceSG

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Why not just use steam dynamos instead of stirling engines? The steam dynamo will automatically throttle down once there is no longer anything downstream requesting power. It also won't explode.
TE3 dynamos will throttle down to 4rf/t generation, even if there's nowhere to send that energy.

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
I use my lil program to control a bank of 60 magmatic dynamo's ^^* I could plug in another laser pre-charger into my system but then I'd have no power over for my quarries ^^*