Diamond world gen (direwolf20 pack)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

marsh2907

Jul 29, 2019
Is the world gen different for diamonds in this mod than from vanilla? Reason im asking is that I have now spent about 4 hours in the layers normally where they spawn (under layer 16) and have only found 3 diamonds. This is with me being in ravines and big caves with alot of open space but no luck at all. In vanilla I would find like 10+ within an hour doing same thing. Any help would be great. :-D

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
Yes it's different than vanilla. You actually have a higher chance at getting diamonds than in vanilla.

marsh2907

Jul 29, 2019
Really? Wow I must be having really bad luck. Think might have to try branch mining to see if it improves my chances.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC, for vanilla there's only one diamond spawn per chunk, and it can be from 1-8 diamonds, so the real question isn't how many diamonds you find per trip so much as how many you find per vein. Also, layer 12 is the generally accepted layer for mining diamonds, however I personally prefer to dig starting at head level 8 and hit all the blocks above me that I can reach and branch mine that way. That said, sometimes even doing that you'll get unlucky and have the diamonds spawn around lvl 5, which really is just the game being annoying at that point.

Basically, hope for a good world gen and when you mine out a vein of diamonds, get outta that chunk and hit up another.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Quarry is the only way to be sure :)

though I have seen diamond underneath the bedrock blocks so even that isn't 100%

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
The DW20 pack does not have the changed spawn rates the Mindcrack pack has because dire wanted them to be vanilla!

thatoneguy01

Jul 29, 2019
even so, i think there may be an issue. I strip mined a 600x30x7 area from y 8 to 15 and only found 6 diamonds.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I had an issue with no diamonds spawning in my first world with DW pack.

I started as usual and dug down to 11 and started what would be the main branch in vanilla. I usually don't extend it past that point in the mod packs. After a complete main branch and a dozen branches with no sight of diamonds at all I decided to experiment.

First I copied my save folder and started up the game with that turning on cheat mode and creative. I then detonated a pillar of nukes from bedrock to the surface. I went down and looked through the aftermath of that and along the walls just looking for 1 single diamond.
No joy.

That wasn't conclusive enough for me so I then went back up to the surface and started a 64x64 quarry. After realizing that even with a couple dozen Redstone Cells powering the quarry it was going to take hours I started 2 more.

One of them was just the default size of a quarry over 4 different chunks. The second one was centered over a chunk so that it mined out the entire chunk.
Both of those ran all the way to bedrock and there wasn't a single diamond in any of the chests.

I do realize that there is a very slight chance that all of my methods of checking for diamonds in that world could result in no diamonds found at all, but I think there was an issue.

I deleted the entire DW pack and redownloaded it and made a new world. I have found 1 vein of 4 diamonds but i haven't gone back mining since I found them and instead have been working on other stuff for now.

marsh2907

Jul 29, 2019
hmmm interesting. Well gonna have another jump down a hole to see if can find any and try different ways suggested. Hopefully ends with more success. "fingers crossed" Shame that need diamonds to really get started in some mods which is big problem when I can't find any.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Looked around in the only DW20 level I have with MCEdit's ore viewer and to me the levels of Diamond look perfectly fine. Each chunk seems to have ~1 vein.

All in all I think you guys have just been having bad luck or maybe have a faulty installation. The easiest way would be to open up your world in MCEdit and look around or analyze a few chunks (that's most reliable method I think).
As long as you don't save your world in MCEdit you should be fine (it shouldn't damage/destroy/replace anything as long as you don't save). Many of the mod blocks it probably doesn't recognize, but since Diamonds are standard blocks you shouldn't have trouble seeing/finding those in MCEdit.

marsh2907

Jul 29, 2019
Good news. Dug a mine shaft all the way down to near bedrock and started branch mining leaving 2 blocks between each tunnel. Within 10 min I have found 8 diamonds. Guess my luck has changed. :)

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
...snip...
You do know that the default quarry size you mentioned is only a little over a quarter of a chunk, not a full chunk, don't you?[DOUBLEPOST=1356532012][/DOUBLEPOST]
As long as you don't save your world in MCEdit you should be fine (it shouldn't damage/destroy/replace anything as long as you don't save). Many of the mod blocks it probably doesn't recognize, but since Diamonds are standard blocks you shouldn't have trouble seeing/finding those in MCEdit.

I would definitely recommend backing up your world before attempting something like this. Especially once you get to the point in computer operations clicking the save button every couple minutes becomes second nature!

Cisco78

Jul 29, 2019
Does the Dire pack also change Copper ore generation? I've been finding copper ore only in caves. I discovered a mine-shaft and have yet to find any copper ore in it.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
You do know that the default quarry size you mentioned is only a little over a quarter of a chunk, not a full chunk, don't you?!

Thus the reason for 2 quarries. The default one was just to get one down to bedrock as quickly as possible. I knew that one had the least chance of finding diamonds. The entire chunk one should have turned up at least 1 diamond.
The 64x64 one would have been the best test and if I had the time to spend waiting on it I would have let it go. I would have actually set up at least 4 of them to run at the same time for a complete test. I don't have that kind of time though. I would actually like to play the game during my few days off over the holidays before I go back to working 7 days a week.

Also, in the new world I started after re-installing the DW pack I found a nearly perfect spot for me. I found 3 volcanoes next to each other. It would be better if they weren't in the middle of an Extreme Jungle Biome but the sickle makes even that livable.

Does the Dire pack also change Copper ore generation? I've been finding copper ore only in caves. I discovered a mine-shaft and have yet to find any copper ore in it.

Yes, these are the configs that were changed in DW's Pack.

tweak {
Ore.copper.clusterSize=7
Ore.copper.maxY=75
Ore.copper.minY=40
Ore.copper.numClusters=9
Ore.gold.clusterSize=8
Ore.lead.clusterSize=7
Ore.lead.maxY=40
Ore.lead.minY=20
Ore.lead.numClusters=4
Ore.silver.clusterSize=7
Ore.silver.maxY=35