Derpy question about Thermal Expansion 3.

DerpyKee

Jul 29, 2019
Hey FTB Forums, I have a stupid question.

My husband and I are experimenting with TE3 on the Monster pack, and he's currently doing some kind of ridiculously over-complicated testing using TE's Redstone Energy Conduits and the Hardened Energy Conduits to try and figure out how much loss over distance there is. How much loss is there?

ALSO! Do the conduits themselves have some kind of internal storage or buffer? They seem to 'fill' with energy and he says this is confusing. Can someone help us? My Google-Fu has been ineffective and he's determined to figure it out himself, and in the process, driving me bonkers. :)

Thanks, and sorry if this was discussed elsewhere; I did a quick search and found nadda.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Hey FTB Forums, I have a stupid question.

My husband and I are experimenting with TE3 on the Monster pack, and he's currently doing some kind of ridiculously over-complicated testing using TE's Redstone Energy Conduits and the Hardened Energy Conduits to try and figure out how much loss over distance there is. How much loss is there?

ALSO! Do the conduits themselves have some kind of internal storage or buffer? They seem to 'fill' with energy and he says this is confusing. Can someone help us? My Google-Fu has been ineffective and he's determined to figure it out himself, and in the process, driving me bonkers. :)

Thanks, and sorry if this was discussed elsewhere; I did a quick search and found nadda.
The conduits loose 0 energy over any distance.

DerpyKee

Jul 29, 2019
The conduits loose 0 energy over any distance.
Okay thanks, so what about my second question, is there an answer for that as well? We're seeing what we thought was 'loss', so is there a buffer in the conduits that stores/fills with energy?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Okay thanks, so what about my second question, is there an answer for that as well? We're seeing what we thought was 'loss', so is there a buffer in the conduits that stores/fills with energy?

IIRC, there's a rather large buffer, I just don't know what it is.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Okay, thank you very much, both of you. That eases his mind a bit and lets me stop searching.
After a bit of testing it seems that each conduit has an internal buffer of:
Leadstone: 480RF
Hardened: 2400RF
Redstone: 60000RF
(The observant will notice that it is x6 times the RF/t rating of the conduits)

And that is not per length of conduit, but per conduit "network". So it stores the same amount no matter if it is 1 or 10 lengths long.

Vicerious

Jul 29, 2019
It's also important note that the conduits' throughout limits are per connection, not per conduit line.

A conduit can carry any amount of RF, but can only transfer up to its limit through each connection. So you could connect any number of dynamo to leadstone conduits just fine, but you'll only get 80RF at each connection - you could connect the conduit several times to a magma crucible to fully power it.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
It's also important note that the conduits' throughout limits are per connection, not per conduit line.

A conduit can carry any amount of RF, but can only transfer up to its limit through each connection. So you could connect any number of dynamo to leadstone conduits just fine, but you'll only get 80RF at each connection - you could connect the conduit several times to a magma crucible to fully power it.

And a tesseract has unlimited per side I/O so you could have a single side output more than 10kRF/t using two or even one of these. It it limited only by the I/O of what is connected to it.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
After a bit of testing it seems that each conduit has an internal buffer... And that is not per length of conduit, but per conduit "network". So it stores the same amount no matter if it is 1 or 10 lengths long.
Hm. How does it decide on the identity of a network? If I set up a line of redstone conduits, charge them up with 60000 RF, and then break it in half, how much does each half of the old network now contain? Is it smart enough to halve it? This calls for a test!

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. How does it decide on the identity of a network? If I set up a line of redstone conduits, charge them up with 60000 RF, and then break it in half, how much does each half of the old network now contain? Is it smart enough to halve it? This calls for a test!

I hope it is, if not...thank you unlimited energy? :) (though...certainly a lot of effort to get said energy...lol)...of course that would also assume it doesn't reduce energy in a network when adding another conduit to it either.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm you think maybe both halves would contain 60000RF then? Because that opens up for energy production from nothing but breaking conduits :p[DOUBLEPOST=1395147229][/DOUBLEPOST]
I hope it is, if not...thank you unlimited energy? :) (though...certainly a lot of effort to get said energy...lol)...of course that would also assume it doesn't reduce energy in a network when adding another conduit to it either.
My test consisted of a filled energy cell and then adding lengths of conduits to it. After the first conduit the energy cell stayed on the same level.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hmm seems that if you make a forked network of conduits, charge it, remove the source, break the fork(with a crescent hammer) then only one side of the fork retain the charge.

EDIT: NVM just managed to get power out of both sides now. Acting a bit weird.
EDIT2: Seems to be acting so random. Even when I try to repeat what I just did, I get different results. It might actually be that when I get double output it actually consumed double the amount in the first place as well.
So no matter what I don't think it is reliable enough(if possible at all) for anyone to exploit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Staxed

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm seems that if you make a forked network of conduits, charge it, remove the source, break the fork(with a crescent hammer) then only one side of the fork retain the charge.

EDIT: NVM just managed to get power out of both sides now. Acting a bit weird.
EDIT2: Seems to be acting so random. Even when I try to repeat what I just did, I get different results. It might actually be that when I get double output it actually consumed double the amount in the first place as well.
So no matter what I don't think it is reliable enough(if possible at all) for anyone to exploit.

Yea I had funky results as if the conduit connections had a buffer they didnt fully empty on some occasions unless I broke things a certain way. Of course I blame MFFS for some of the confusion.