Dedicated Operating System Question.

Bmanv1

Jul 29, 2019
What would be better Debian 7 or 6. CentOS 6 or 5. or Ubuntu 13.04.

Please post your opinions here.

tiff

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Ubuntu is Debian. CentOS Is a RHEL clone.

I run http://xubuntu.org which is debian, I perfer debian more but you may like RHEL more. Performance, not much of a difference.

Xubuntu is a lightweight, aiming at being stable and efficient. It's really what you perfer. Commands for RHEL and Debian are different, both have different flavors. I'd peak at both and see what you
like the most.

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
CentOS is extremely light weight and so is dedbian and as tiff said ubunto is debian based. If it were to come down to it I'd choose Debian over ubunto and I think it comes down to preference when it is dedbian or centos.

Keep in mind it is best to stay with the latest version because the latest versions will have updated security. Ex don't get centos 5 get centos 6.5 and Debian 7 not Debian 6 but again comes down to preference there too.

It's like the whole Mac vs PC thing except all operating systems here are Linux.

tiff

Jul 29, 2019
I notice updates with RHEL to CentOS take awhile. When it comes to down being up to date, Ubuntu/Debian wins.

Honestly (#LOGIC), Ubuntu is used more in the Desktop world. Which means more users will be using java on Debian/Ubuntu more than CentOS. Which promotes for more errors to be found and fixed vs CentOS. I'm not saying I'm correct, it's just a theory.

Basically In a nut shell, Java would be more stable on Ubuntu/Debian vs CentOS

Connor Gavitt

Jul 29, 2019
It's almost impossible to debate operating systems in my opinion , if we have heard of the he operating system before and have considered it and another we clearly like them both but are forced to choose which brings it back down to preference. Again the whole Mac vs PC thing. But then again more updates =more security updates which is good when working with java @tiff myself personally I use Debian 7 wheezy, but I just moved to it after using centos and I have Ubunto loaded up on a small Linux computer at home. I try to use everything and once you use a OS more you will get used to it and enjoy it whichever OS it is.

Luke_H

Jul 29, 2019
When it comes to Minecraft I'd say that choosing an operating system is like choosing a flavour of ice-cream. It completely depends on what tickles your fancy at the time and if you prefer using it over another.

CentOS 6 is a little behind the glibs and some other libaries at the moment, so if you want to run other Steam games then you might find you'll be doing some patching (Just like Starbound). CentOS 7 is just around the corner and that will be supporting almost everything. I personally prefer CentOS 6 for ease of use and how lightweight it is. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ubuntu/Debian.

You could even go one step further and take a look at something called "MineOS" which is a Debian based (? not sure) operating system which has been built specifically for Minecraft. I do know it's just come back into development recently and having a dab in it should be quite fun!

themadnun

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't recommend MineOS for running a serious server, I tried it and it seems a good solution for someone to run a home/family server off, but it's pretty limited in what else it can do. You'd be better off grabbing Debian 7 and using something like Bright Game Panel (my choice) or Open Game Panel to get easy access to start/stop commands and an rcon tool. BGPanel's rcon/console viewer isn't as nice as open game panels, so you might want to try both before deciding. MineOS pretty much locks you down to only running Minecraft servers, whereas Debian + a control panel pretty much lets you try whatever you want.