Dedicated blade server, still not fast enough?

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
What about the drives - looks like you're running the game from the desktop - are that the x8 10k drives or are you running from a internal drive(s) on the blade?

Y

Yavimaya401

there are 8 10k sas drives on an internal perc 6i raid controller running raid 5.. its the same "drive" the the os is on

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Just checking.

Have you tried what IO you have on those?
(as you're running windows you should look in to storage spaces instead of using the raid - especially raid 5 isn't that good on performance)

Or at least use raid 6 or 10 as you have 8 drives, then you'll get better performance.

SQLio is a good tool to check performance on storage.

Y

Yavimaya401

i'll benchmark them tonight with io meter or something. although in resource monitor i never see them being pegged.

Y

Yavimaya401

also i thought raid 5 would give me like a 7x read speed boost. i know theres no write speed gain but its something

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
If I remember correctly it's 5x read speed boost and no write speed gain.

For raid 10 its 6x read and 3x write - and you would want boost in write as well.

The thing that you want to look for is ofc the read/write speed - but also check how the latency comes across - if you got issues there, you'll get skipping of ticks and also lag in-game.

You would probably get better performance of a decent consumer SSD than the sas hdd's you've got now.

Y

Yavimaya401

any file bigger than 32k seems to clock in around 400MB/s write and 700MB/s read