Dedicated blade server, still not fast enough?

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
Y

Yavimaya401

Title Dedicated blade server, still not fast enough?

Launcher Type Server

Modpack FTB Beyond

Modpack version FTBBeyondServer_1.11.0

Have you modified the pack? Yes

Link to log file http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/568b24c8

Details of the issue so i have a dedicated dual quad xeon blade server with 16 gigs of ram and 8 10k sas drives running ftb beyond, and i still get errors every min or so. (Can't keep up!) using resource monitor on the windows server i can see its not using much of anything along the lines of disk use. only around 8% of cpu use and about 3 gigs of ram. its a fresh install of the server with our world copied too it. and ive cleared out all the claimed chunks so none are loaded.. what am i missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

Yavimaya401

i forgot to mention that we added 2 mods. FastLeafDecay-v11, and teleporters-1.1.3.

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
Some questions:

What cpu-modell (doesn't matter that it's dual, Minecraft is singel-thread anyways)?

How much ram is dedicated to the Minecraft server (is 16 the max on the server?)?

Drives connected on fiber channel? (what setup and have you checked the IO?)

Fresh install - are the messages comming when loading new chunks or all the time?

What version of windows are you running?

Do you have any antivirus software on the machine (not counting the built in) - or other security software?

Can you also get the /logs/fml-server-latest.log and share that?

Y

Yavimaya401

x5355
6gb for minecraft because i read somewhere that java doesnt behave very well with more. i aslo had the errors when i let it use 14gb.
drives connected to onboard perc 6/i raid controller.
yes fresh redownload of the server with our world coppied and the errors happen all the time, regardless of use. could be standing still in a corner.
windows server 2012 r2
no antivirus, essentially a clean install of windows
i did post the log but ill post the newest one

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
(doesn't matter that it's dual, Minecraft is singel-thread anyways)?
Every dimension runs in its own thread nowadays and I believe the garbage collection can also run on its own thread.

About the log in the first post: I expected a lot more lines while booting the server. Minecraft mods really like to dump everything to the console (maybe you aren't starting it properly?)
Another thing to be aware off (assuming your windows server has a gui) DO NOT allow the minecraft server to use its GUI. It causes a lot of lag and adds nothing of value.

Y

Yavimaya401

i have it set to no gui. and there is a lot of bs in the console on boot. it just doesn't appear in the log.

heres the startup line from start.bat

:startserver
echo Starting server
java -server -Xms1012M -Xmx6144M -XX:MaxPermSize=512M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -jar %FORGEJAR% nogui"

i am by no means a java guy so there could very well be something wrong that im doing.

Y

Yavimaya401

would setting java as a priority in task manager help, or would that make it more unstable?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
In 1.7.10 I'm pretty sure all of the worlds are still single threaded. Can you run the top command then press the 1 key while in top. It will show you the individual CPU activity. Are you pegging out a single core? The xeon x5355 is only 2.6 GHz which is pretty low for a single core.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
In 1.7.10 I'm pretty sure all of the worlds are still single threaded. Can you run the top command then press the 1 key while in top. It will show you the individual CPU activity. Are you pegging out a single core? The xeon x5355 is only 2.6 GHz which is pretty low for a single core.
he is on windows, so I don't think top is a thing.
He also mentions that he has only around 8% of cpu use. Though I do agree that 2.6 GHZ is low for modded minecraft.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
The xeon x5355 is only 2.6 GHz which is pretty low for a single core.
+1 According to passmark's list its single core performance is worse than my previous laptop from 2011.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
from the wiki

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/1.8
I am pretty sure I also saw it somewhere else but can't find it anymore. Also, if that still doesn't have to mean that having multiple cores may help then please tell me (and ideally explain).
[/QUOTE]
Sadly that wiki article does not state its source and it just is not true. That feature was enabled once for one(?) weekly build and then it was removed. Someone added that into wiki as major new feature even it is not listed in any official changelogs.

Refs: https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/469086453268770816 => https://twitter.com/dinnerbone/status/469427387990827010

After that I have never seen references to multithreaded dimensions except minecraft.gamepedia pastes. Also if you run any tool to check threads of Java process you won't find separated processes for dimensions. TBH last time I checked threads was 1.9-ish.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Sadly that wiki article does not state its source and it just is not true. That feature was enabled once for one(?) weekly build and then it was removed. Someone added that into wiki as major new feature even it is not listed in any official changelogs.

Refs: https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/469086453268770816 => https://twitter.com/dinnerbone/status/469427387990827010

After that I have never seen references to multithreaded dimensions except minecraft.gamepedia pastes. Also if you run any tool to check threads of Java process you won't find separated processes for dimensions. TBH last time I checked threads was 1.9-ish.

Thats a shame. I guess the first time I heard about it was in a snapshot video of some youtuber and just missed that it got removed :(

grandrolf

Global moderator
Team Member
Global Moderator
Trusted User
Aug 29, 2014
sweden
x5355
6gb for minecraft because i read somewhere that java doesnt behave very well with more. i aslo had the errors when i let it use 14gb.
drives connected to onboard perc 6/i raid controller.
yes fresh redownload of the server with our world coppied and the errors happen all the time, regardless of use. could be standing still in a corner.
windows server 2012 r2
no antivirus, essentially a clean install of windows
i did post the log but ill post the newest one

like said above, the CPU is on the low end for running a minecraft server

Memory for servers can be set higher than for the client, I'm guessing you've read recommendations to client issues.

About the drives - have you checked the performance of the drives? (are you setting it up as raid or using storage spaces from windows?)

Then depending on how you've set up time sync on that machine (if it's in a domain and there are group policy that force a time sync to occur very often), you could have issues.
Minecraft is sensitive to if time is changed - and that could cause the skipping of ticks - but this is perhaps not your issue, most likely it's the CPU (and perhaps read/write issues on drives - just suggesting, not saying it is)

EDIT: about the log, you probably to the /logs/latest.log - but you should get the fml-server-latest.log

Y

Yavimaya401

so if i open up resource monitor java appears to be using 70-75 threads with an average cpu usage of 7.75% i will post a screen shot of that and the correct log in the next post (which may take tome to be "approved")

Y

Yavimaya401

tHPTG

http://paste.feed-the-beast.com/view/6e0f49e1

https://imgur.com/a/tHPTG