Death upon arrival in the Twilight Forrest

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Hello all, I'm not sure where to post this so I'll just do it here.

I've encountered an annoying bug with the Twilight Forrest mod, though it doesn't happen in a predictable way. Sometimes, when I start a new world, and enter the TF for the first time in that world, my player avatar falls to its death the moment the world loads. That is what the death message said anyway, the dimension basically finishes loading with a death screen.

It happened to me twice already. Once in the RR-modpack and once in FTB-monster 1.0.9.

The first time my death point was right next to the portal, it seems as though I've fallen from the tree canopy though the portal itself spawned on the ground.

The second time is even weirder, my death point was in the cave below the portal, as though the 16 layers of rock and dirt above my death point were ethereal for a moment, so my avatar could hit the cave floor below it. But even if that was the case, I should have survived 16 blocks, I was at full health and had Iron armor.

In both cases I was able to enter the TF without problems on subsequent visits.

I've always heard the "fallen to death" sound effect when entering an other dimension for the first time in that world, even The Nether. I also always spawn in a void age, where my avatar falls, and so do the mobs that generate around me. But most of the time my avatar doesn't actually get hurt. The moment the actual world terrain load in, my avatar appears back at the point where he spawns in that dimension. The same for the mobs that generate around.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
That shouldn't happen in 1.6.4 as far as I know... You should always press escape as soon as you enter a dimension for the first time and let it load for a while if this becomes a recurring problem.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
This is why, when dealing with the Nether, End, and TF for the first time in a world, I always always always throw items through the portal first and wait for them to actually disappear from my screen before jumping through. This forces the area immediately around the portal to load and prevents this sort of thing from happening (in addition to random Dragon attacks before you have a chance to load the End).

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
This is why, when dealing with the Nether, End, and TF for the first time in a world, I always always always throw items through the portal first and wait for them to actually disappear from my screen before jumping through. This forces the area immediately around the portal to load and prevents this sort of thing from happening (in addition to random Dragon attacks before you have a chance to load the End).

You know, that is a very good idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

EDIT:

You should always press escape as soon as you enter a dimension for the first time and let it load for a while if this becomes a recurring problem.

I suppose I could also do that, although it requires hitting the escape key at the right moment.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
another idea would be to toss everything in a chest and jump though naked, though that would suck if you were on HC