De-nerfing/nerfing mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you (de)nerf mods?

• Yes

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I would if I knew how to

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Only stuff available through configs

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I am curious if I am the only person who does this, or if others do this too.
Does anyone go into config files/minetweaker and "fix" recipes they think are "too" whatever (too hard, too complex, too much of a grind, etc.)

For example, I enjoy gregtech. I love the machines it adds, but I hate the Bronze Age with a burning passion (I just don't see the point) so I will usually add a recipe for the IC2 circuit so that I can just skip the Bronze Age.

I know there are other mods out there that make you feel like sometime that you are shooting yourself in the foot for a few good things. So when you install them mods do you get along with it, or do you make sure you aren't spending days just getting a basic machine? Or do you sometimes set "wuss mode" to true in the configs?

Just curious about what the general consensus of the forums is, I am not trying to start a "<mod> is too difficult debate".

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Does anyone go into config files/minetweaker and "fix" recipes they think are "too" whatever (too hard, too complex, too much of a grind, etc.)

For example, I enjoy gregtech. I love the machines it adds, but I hate the Bronze Age with a burning passion (I just don't see the point) so I will usually add a recipe for the IC2 circuit so that I can just skip the Bronze Age.

I know there are other mods out there that make you feel like sometime that you are shooting yourself in the foot for a few good things. So when you install them mods do you get along with it, or do you make sure you aren't spending days just getting a basic machine? Or do you sometimes set "wuss mode" to true in the configs?

Just curious about what the general consensus of the forums is, I am not trying to start a "<mod> is too difficult debate".
i play for a couple days on just a plain install, no editing at all, i make a list of stuff i dislike or want to change, change it, and make a actual world to play on.

Pyrolusite

Jul 29, 2019
It depends. In general I don't temper with tech mods or magic mods recipes, because I don't mind having a clever shortcut from time to time, especially when the "difficulty" is not only in the tech progression.

The two only mods I tend to make more expensive are OpenComputers (GT recipes), because of how insanely powerful this mod can be if it doesn't bother you to code, and IronChests (Minetweaker, GT plates instead of ingots/gems), though I tend to use BetterStorage more than IronChests now, even without AE2.

Sawney

Jul 29, 2019
I always immediately turn off warp and taint spread, explosions in FSP, and channels in AE2. Also the no fun mode in blood magic just to be safe though I don't know what it does. Basically if I can be a wuss I will.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
I always turn off taint spread it's just a pain, turn off infinite water and also on the BC pump maybe disable some other water gen options. Also change Big Reactors to require steel as it's not something you should have access to right away.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012

Yes. I find some mods have items that are just too easy to get (especially in a large mod pack environment), or too much of a grind (usually if I'm staring too long at a crafting grid vs actually playing), or change recipes if they just make no sense, or change the output quantity of a recipe if I feel it's too generous or too restricted for the crafting materials.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I always immediately turn off warp and taint spread, explosions in FSP, and channels in AE2. Also the no fun mode in blood magic just to be safe though I don't know what it does. Basically if I can be a wuss I will.
No fun just changes the Sacrificial Knife to the Sacrificial Orb (basically for those who don't want played to cut themselves to get blood, but instead smash an orb into them to get blood :p)... I think that is all it does

Reactions: Wagon153

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I rarely change configs. When I do, it's energy levels/re enabling something.i don't nerf things for myself because usually somebody else has done it for me already(modpacks.) I enjoy a wide variety of modpacks from open ended ones like Monster to mappacks like Agrarian Skies and Crashlanding. Even packs like Beyond Reality.
Also, if I find something too powerful for my liking(which is rare), I simply don't use it.

Alpha102

Jul 29, 2019
I changed solar flux to make it harder. I also halved Big Reactors's energy output, and disabled taint spread/warp in Thaumcraft.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In my opinion, tools such as minetweaker are to modpacks what NEI is to mods/minecraft in general: basically an absolutely critical part of my gameplay experience.

Now I can tie mods together that normally wouldn't function nicely in the same sandbox by tweaking how they work. Heart you minetweaker.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mess with configs, its too confusing. The method I use is to always enable cheats when I create my world... that way, if I get lazy or aggravated I can simply type /gamemode 1 and take care of the problem in creative mode. Then /gamemode 0 puts me back into survival mode and I keep on going. That way, I can play the modpack as it was intended, but I never have to worry about "getting stuck" or things taking too long. It's my world, I can do what I want with it!

Reactions: Pyure

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhhh yeah. Sometimes, its just fixing things, like the current version of Magical Crops (for 1.7.10) I'm working with doesn't have a recipe for osmium seeds, or a use for osmium essence, even though I have Mekanism installed. So, I added in a recipe to get osmium seeds, making them the same tier as most other metal seeds (strong), and made the osmium essence give you 2 ore for every 8 essence used in crafting (standard ring around the grid, like other ore essences). If it hadn't been for Minetweaker, a useful feature like that wouldn't have been available. I also added in some recipes to give people an option to either use in-world crafting of the various pure AE2 crystals, or put them thru a Mekanism purifier, which requires oxygen production to work, a fair trade-off, if you ask me. Can also make AE2's sky stone with 4 regular stone in a purifier, and charge certus quartz in a metallurgic infuser using redstone, so you don't get totally shafted if you've got crappy luck with worldgen.

Tools like that can most certainly be used to make ridiculous, overpowered recipes that turn the game completely inside-out, but with a little care, you can make it so you (and anyone else who might play with what you've made) have whatever level of challenge you're looking for and can occasionally fix recipe derps (like the aforementioned Magical Crops derp) when they crop up. They're like petrol: on one hand, you could use it to commit arson, but on the other, you can also use it to take your kid to soccer practice or go to the store and get food. It all depends on what you're looking to do with the tools you're given.

Reactions: Golrith

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
The only time I use minetweaker is for recipe conflicts between mods, or items that are severely bugged so I disable them until a fix is available. Otherwise, config settings only.