Day length sleeping rumour

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I heard from multiple people that if you skip the night to daylight by sleeping, the day is shorter by a couple of minutes than if you let night time flow naturally.

I think it's bollocks, but it's not the first time I hear this.
I have never been patient enough to actually measure the thing.

Is there any basis to this, or just baseless speculation?

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
It's probably speculation. A way to measure the day when sleeping vs when not is set up something to count 10min and do whatever you want.
If you do this and you have to go ti bed before the timer finshes, the rumor is true, if not it isn't.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I heard from multiple people that if you skip the night to daylight by sleeping, the day is shorter by a couple of minutes than if you let night time flow naturally.

I think it's bollocks, but it's not the first time I hear this.
I have never been patient enough to actually measure the thing.

Is there any basis to this, or just baseless speculation?
From my own experience this is... slightly true. When you sleep the sun doesn't start exactly on the "horizon" but a bit above. From what I recall(its be many years so bear with me) this was worse on servers. Maybe down to the waiting for it to acknowledge that everyone had slept or something(pure speculation).

But its simple to test. Just get a Clock(the ingame one :p) and look at it straight after sleeping. The horizon line will not be completely vertical.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
This mirrors real life. If I stay awake all night, my day feels longer than if I had slept. If I sleep through the night, it takes me a little bit to wake up, so I lose a bit of time before I'm actually in a useful state.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
For slightly more accuracy, Modular Powersuits has a clock option for it's heads up that gives an exact time.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
This is technically true. You wake up a little after sunrise, not exactly at 0600 (or whatever it is)
Yeah that would make a lot more sense.

The day FEELS shorter cos you wake a few seconds after what is considered sunrise, but in number of ticks it actually isn't.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The day FEELS shorter cos you wake a few seconds after what is considered sunrise, but in number of ticks it actually isn't.
No it is actually shorter in ticks or seconds because you go from a random time during the night to some time short after the "sunrise" and not exactly at "sunrise". So the day is shortened by that small amount.

JunpakuKarasu

Jul 29, 2019
I think it might be that the timespan that the game considers daytime is shorter than you think. You can go to bed while the sunset is still a little bit over the horizon and you can also do this while it's risen slightly as well. So this probably means that the game is waking you up at what it considers daytime and the 'daytime' the player thinks is skipped isn't actually daytime.

dragonmaster0283

Jul 29, 2019
I need to doublecheck the time (ingame info). Day starts right around 532. When you sleep its something like 600 the next morning. Night starts at around 632

Middleclaw

Apr 12, 2014
From my findings... Night starts at 18:32 and that is when you can get into bed. Mobs starts spawning at 19:00. Mobs start burning at 05:32 and you wake up at 06:00. So basically you have half an hour extra "day" time with a half hour grace period before mobs start to spawn. I imagine it feels, and appears, shorter because of the light levels. Also to add, you start at 08:00 on your very first day on creating a new world.

Reactions: Shevron