Data on downloads (packs) via FTBLauncher

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a mod-pack in development. Part of the pack will include custom mods and part of the pack uses preexisting mods. The Alpha testing is underway and we got a schedule to proceed through to release.

At the same time I'm building the launcher (Java app) that is analogous to the FTBLauncher (or ATLauncher, etc...)

It's all going smoothly and I'll be ready in a few weeks.

As I decompose the interactions between the launcher and the persistent data stores (creeperrepo, s3.amazonws.com, etc...) I am starting to come up with the requirements for what I'll need on the back end.

In a limited use, I'm able to host all the downloads where appropriate (minecraft.net will of course deal with their assets, but the responsibility would fall onto me to provide the persistent data storage for downloading the mods and libraries -- I already have the permissions to do so for mods). I'm not going to circumvent in any preexisting model for obtaining the media collateral differently than any other mainstream launcher.

TL;DR:

The question I have is the matter of scale. What I need to know from the FTB stakeholders is this:

Over the course of a day, a month, how many times does each mod-pack get downloaded? Just a general figure is all I need 100, 1000, 10000, etc... some power of 10 (I just need the exponent). I don't need much more than that. That figure will tell me the scale of the problem I'm going to face when I contract hosting for the content to download.

I've already thought about the issue. What I'm looking for is empirical data to judge the feasibility.

If for some reason FTB doesn't feel open to disclose the numbers, I'll understand completely.

Thanks

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
ATLauncher is pretty transparent about usage data. They even have leader boards for pack usage. I don't think they're accepting new private packs right now, but it's another option.

systemv

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks. It looks like running totals. I need to keep digging to find per week/month type data. FTB's data even if just magnitude-wise would be helpful to gauge the problem. Thanks for pointing this out.

Anyway, I got the Launcher app to work completely. Pretty neat stuff to see it go end to end. Run it just like any FTB/AT Launcher.

Now, our ecosystem is self-contained so to speak.

What's left is all GUI artwork/chrome/polish for the app. And, to continue testing things for several more weeks.

I found a solution to host the files and deal with the bandwidth in geo-replicated cloud service.

Last edited: