Cyber Server Monday

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, he's still getting a 7750 for the server which is daft, onboard gfx will be plenty just to set up the server
I'm not getting a GPU for the server at all! That was what the base build included and I plan on tossing it. I just wanted confirmation that a GPU is useless to a server.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, GPU for servers is unneeded if you have integrated graphics. Most real world servers don't have GPUs.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Sort of a no brainer there, the server instance doesn't really render anything game related, all you get (assuming a plain vanilla style server instance) is a black command box with text.
As GPU stand for Graphics Processing Unit, it's only needed to process graphics, If there's no graphics the GPU does nothing (save the minimal rendering of the desktop and command boxes.)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Sort of a no brainer there, the server instance doesn't really render anything game related, all you get (assuming a plain vanilla style server instance) is a black command box with text.
As GPU stand for Graphics Processing Unit, it's only needed to process graphics, If there's no graphics the GPU does nothing (save the minimal rendering of the desktop and command boxes.)
Well there is cases where GPUs can be used for other things than rendering, but that's supercomputers and mega servers.

AliceTheVixen

Jul 29, 2019
I was hesitant as to whether I wanted to respond to this post, kind of feels condescending.

I do realize that though. I just wanted other opinions that may have included angles I wasn't aware of. Just like the other day when I spoke to someone about water cooling, and warned me about sweating. Stuff like that.