Custom Pack Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zionmoose

Jul 29, 2019
I just happened to browse over to the Technic site and saw that they have included a rather awesome feature to their launcher. It adds the ability in options to simply list a download link to a custom .zip file to add/overwrite mods. I find that this would be hugely beneficial for those of us trying to run a server that wish to have extra mods and their config files easily incorporated, instead of having to list really detailed instructions on what you need to download to join the server.

I really realllly, want to stick with using FTB because this project seems to be much more ambitious then what they are doing with Tekkit. I just happen to think this one feature they added to their launcher would do well in your's as well.

Zionmoose

Jul 29, 2019
I did quite a bit of searching after posting this and I found that while the feature looks like it is available in the launcher, what you see is actually only a placeholder for the future implementation. The other not-so-great part about it is it requires you to build a whole entire modpack, which means you need to get individual permissions for each and every mod. I like the way the new Tekkit system handles it because it just installs the mods over the mods that are already installed. This allows for just adding a few extra mods that maybe you want but others don't.

It seems to me this feature may be useful for some, but for many people looking to have a custom FTB experience, this will most likely be too convoluted. Maybe I am wrong, but that was just how I read it.

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
I did quite a bit of searching after posting this and I found that while the feature looks like it is available in the launcher, what you see is actually only a placeholder for the future implementation. The other not-so-great part about it is it requires you to build a whole entire modpack, which means you need to get individual permissions for each and every mod. I like the way the new Tekkit system handles it because it just installs the mods over the mods that are already installed. This allows for just adding a few extra mods that maybe you want but others don't.

It seems to me this feature may be useful for some, but for many people looking to have a custom FTB experience, this will most likely be too convoluted. Maybe I am wrong, but that was just how I read it.

Yeah and they we all know they don't really care about permissions...

I assume that most if not all the mods already available in one FTB pack or another already have permissions. I'd even go so far as to assume that they are general "Anyone using FTB launcher can include them in their own modpack" permissions. Not only would having every individual person going around asking the various authors for permission be extremely redundant, but I'm sure the authors would get annoyed from it pretty quick.

Until an author or mod/admin of this site specifically says otherwise, I'm going to assume it's safe to mix and match mods found in FTB's packs into your own pack without having to ask for permission yourself except if you add other mods. After all, you'd be using the FTB launcher. It's not like you'd be posting adf.ly links to your modpack or anything unscrupulous like that.

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
Admins have already said that you have to get permission from the mod authors.. some of them have general permissions for private packs. but I dunno about a lot of others.

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
Admins have already said that you have to get permission from the mod authors.. some of them have general permissions for private packs. but I dunno about a lot of others.

Seems redundant to get permission to include a mod pack for use on a launcher they already gave permission to.

Zionmoose

Jul 29, 2019
It is redundant, which is what I was kind of trying to say in my last post. There is an entire thread where this was discussed by the ftb team. No matter what, if you are going to use the custom pack feature in the launcher, you absolutely must have permission from the mod author to do so.

To mitigate this they have started up a thread for mod authors to come and list what level of permissions they are willing to give in regards to the customer packs. But many have not listed permissions there, so they will need to be contacted privately.

So yes, it is redundant, and will make the feature virtually useless for most people... But at least ftb can say they did their part.

NooBxGockeL

Jul 29, 2019
Im wondering what is allowed with mods...
In Detail, as far as i understood, its prohibited to zip up some mods together and send them other people.
But is it forbidden to create a Tool that, for example reads .xml Files (Server owner creates them for his players) wich include Downloadlink to the Mods and maybe a Thread/Forum Link of the Mods.
And the Tool automaticly downloads that mods just to prepare them and then maybe insert it into a FTB Pack ?

... Just wondering, this would be my solution for the Problem, if its allowed

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
It is redundant, which is what I was kind of trying to say in my last post. There is an entire thread where this was discussed by the ftb team. No matter what, if you are going to use the custom pack feature in the launcher, you absolutely must have permission from the mod author to do so.

To mitigate this they have started up a thread for mod authors to come and list what level of permissions they are willing to give in regards to the customer packs. But many have not listed permissions there, so they will need to be contacted privately.

So yes, it is redundant, and will make the feature virtually useless for most people... But at least ftb can say they did their part.

I've seen it said on these forums. I think it was Slowpoke that said it (I'll try to dig up the post when I have time) that essentially if you're making a pack to publicly distribute, then yes you do need permissions. If you're making a pack to distribute only to people who play on your server, then no extra permissions are needed. You pretty much already have the permission for mods already distributed by FTB.

Private/Server use = No permission necessary
Public/Mass distribution = Permission necessary/looked at on a case by case basis

jjw123

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen it said on these forums. I think it was Slowpoke that said it (I'll try to dig up the post when I have time) that essentially if you're making a pack to publicly distribute, then yes you do need permissions. If you're making a pack to distribute only to people who play on your server, then no extra permissions are needed. You pretty much already have the permission for mods already distributed by FTB.

Private/Server use = No permission necessary
Public/Mass distribution = Permission necessary/looked at on a case by case basis

unless something has changed very recently, this isnt the case

Status
Not open for further replies.