Custom modpack mod suggestions

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
I have recently decided to create my own modpack. I am using the Direwolf20 modpack as my base mods and am going to add on from there. My goal is to create a fun and new experience for my server and cut out the redundant mods. Now for the most part I only know what is on the direwolf20 Pack, so there obviously is a ton of mods that I have yet to experience that ought to be very fun. If you have any suggestions as to which mods I should install that will add a unique variety to the gameplay I am used to that would be awesome. Also on a quick side note I dont want to add any thing that will really impede of the performance of the server mods like mariculture and unfortunately I hear reactorcraft is incredibly hard on performance as well. So just keep that in mind when making a suggestion. Thanks.

Mods I plan on adding:
-Archemedies Ships
-Chisel
-Carpenters mod
-Gregtech
-Opencomputers
-BloodMagic
-Paneintheglass
-Advancedgenetics (undecided)
-Flans Mod (undecided)
-Atomic Science (undecided)
-Galactic craft
-Mekanisim
-Advanced Machines Mod
-Advanced Solars
-Gravitation Suite
-Soul Shard reborn (undecided)
-Thaumic Exploration
-Big Reactors
-Forbidden Magic
-Advanced Thaumaturgy

Mods I removed:
-Mystcraft (Loads of world rendering)
-Twilight forest
-Morph (Free Flight)
-Hats, Hatstand (Find it a tad bit pointless)

*I will continue to update this list as the night progresses

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
AM2?
Blood Magic?
MOAR TC4.1 ADDONS?

I so suggest using Advanced Genetics, at least. It's rather fun.

As for Archimedies Ships, uh, if you're removing Morph due to "free flight"(instead of limiting how soon you can use the flight ability), you may not like airships.

Reactions: Padfoote

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
AM2?
Blood Magic?
MOAR TC4.1 ADDONS?

I so suggest using Advanced Genetics, at least. It's rather fun.

As for Archimedies Ships, uh, if you're removing Morph due to "free flight"(instead of limiting how soon you can use the flight ability), you may not like airships.
Have both AM2 and Blood Magic, As for Thaumcraft 4 addons I wasn't aware there were any. Possible link would be excellent. As for Advanced Genetics I have heard it is a little cheaty, is that so, I have never messed with it before. Also on the Archemedies ship mod, Is it not difficult to create a ship (once again no experience with the mod). Thanks for the feedback.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Have both AM2 and Blood Magic, As for Thaumcraft 4 addons I wasn't aware there were any. Possible link would be excellent. As for Advanced Genetics I have heard it is a little cheaty, is that so, I have never messed with it before. Also on the Archemedies ship mod, Is it not difficult to create a ship (once again no experience with the mod). Thanks for the feedback.
Advanced Genetics? Cheaty? Dunno why anyone would think that. It's actually a pretty complicated process to get useful traits, and gods help you if you want flight but only have cows nearby to breed genes with.

I mean, it takes 7 machines(IIRC) to go from skin cells to a completed gene, not counting extra things like the autoscraper(which is actually pretty awesome).

As for making skins in Archimedies Ships, it takes some iron, but that's the only expensive part(unless you want gauges to help your travelling, in which case some redstone is needed). Airships have a second limitation, and that's that at least 40% of the "ship" has to be made out of a specific type of block(made from wool of any color and a piece of string, IIRC). No fuel, nothing. Still sweet as all hell, though. But not any less "free" then Morph, really.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced Genetics? Cheaty? Dunno why anyone would think that. It's actually a pretty complicated process to get useful traits, and gods help you if you want flight but only have cows nearby to breed genes with.

I mean, it takes 7 machines(IIRC) to go from skin cells to a completed gene, not counting extra things like the autoscraper(which is actually pretty awesome).

As for making skins in Archimedies Ships, it takes some iron, but that's the only expensive part(unless you want gauges to help your travelling, in which case some redstone is needed). Airships have a second limitation, and that's that at least 40% of the "ship" has to be made out of a specific type of block(made from wool of any color and a piece of string, IIRC). No fuel, nothing. Still sweet as all hell, though. But not any less "free" then Morph, really.
You sold me on advanced genetics, it actually sounds really cool.

As for Archimedies ships is there a way I can edit the crafting recipes for the ship, thus making it more of a mid game unlock?

Also which TC4 Addon were you speaking about earlier. Did a search and found a couple, not sure which to go with.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
servertools?
dartcraft?
galacticraft?
worldstatecheckpoints?
mekanisim/ICBM/atomic science/other UE stuff?
botania?
countcraft?
Ex Nihlo?
custom npcs?(easy in-game recipie editor)
traincraft?
enchanting plus?
Endernet?(i dont "think" direwolf has it)
TC4 addons?
ganys mods?
Hardcore ender expansion?
immibis LXP?
Fathertoast's mods?
pam's harvestcraft?
advanced solars?
gavitation suite?
i very reccomend opencomputers.
redstone in motion?
soul shards reborn?
statues?
totemic?
waypoints?
IDfixminus.
and finally with all those you will probubly need Optifine D1?

BADDA BOOM! (yes i use ALL those.)

Reactions: Pokefenn

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You sold me on advanced genetics, it actually sounds really cool.

As for Archimedies ships is there a way I can edit the crafting recipes for the ship, thus making it more of a mid game unlock?

Also which TC4 Addon were you speaking about earlier. Did a search and found a couple, not sure which to go with.
Again, I suggest as many as possible. I LOVE TC4, and TC4.1 has made it better.
servertools?
dartcraft?
galacticraft?
worldstatecheckpoints?
botania?
countcraft?
Ex Nihlo?
traincraft?
enchanting plus?
TC4 addons?
ganys mods?
immibis LXP?
Fathertoast's mods?
pam's harvestcraft?
advanced solars?
gavitation suite?
redstone in motion?
soul shards reborn?
statues?
totemic?
waypoints?
IDfixminus.

Lot of good suggestions. Except Optifine. I'm fine without it.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
servertools?
dartcraft?
galacticraft?
worldstatecheckpoints?
botania?
countcraft?
Ex Nihlo?
traincraft?
enchanting plus?
TC4 addons?
ganys mods?
immibis LXP?
Fathertoast's mods?
pam's harvestcraft?
advanced solars?
gavitation suite?
redstone in motion?
soul shards reborn?
statues?
totemic?
waypoints?
IDfixminus.

Awesome list[DOUBLEPOST=1394600478][/DOUBLEPOST]
Again, I suggest as many as possible. I LOVE TC4, and TC4.1 has made it better.

Lot of good suggestions. Except Optifine. I'm fine without it.
Went ahead and added Thaumcraft Exploration Addon. Thanks for the suggestion

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Zoommod
Torched
Mutant Creatures (Spawning wont work in custom biomes)

If you want to reduce redundancy, why have so many ore processing, power generation mods? For instance I dropped EU and it made my pack much ligher. I found I didnt even miss anything. Personal choice though. You may find you want to knock out RF in favor of EU.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Mob Dismemberment.
Mob Amputation.
Note: Not for the squeamish. I personally don't use them too, they're just hilarious when with friends.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Sir, you are missing Rotary Craft on that list. You may need to fix that. ;)
And with the recent updates to Rotary Craft and DragonAPI, it is a lot more server and FPS friendly.

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Zoommod
Torched
Mutant Creatures (Spawning wont work in custom biomes)

If you want to reduce redundancy, why have so many ore processing, power generation mods? For instance I dropped EU and it made my pack much ligher. I found I didnt even miss anything. Personal choice though. You may find you want to knock out RF in favor of EU.
well the reason I am keeping EU is because I prefer the gregtech tree. However I am aware that some players wont favor that, this keeps the option open for every player. Interesting point however.

Reactions: kaovalin

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
For what its worth, I haven't had any server or fps issues with reactorcraft or rotarycraft lately. Stability issues were a concern just a couple versions ago, but @Reika seems to have it humming along nicely at the moment.

Proper respect for including GT btw, personal fav :)

Reactions: YX33A

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
For what its worth, I haven't had any server or fps issues with reactorcraft or rotarycraft lately. Stability issues were a concern just a couple versions ago, but @Reika seems to have it humming along nicely at the moment.

Proper respect for including GT btw, personal fav :)
It is all about computer power. RotaryCraft places heavier-than-average load on CPUs serverside and GPUs clientside. Those who play singleplayer with strong GPUs but weak CPUs (aka gaming computers), or who have weak GPUs (laptops) will have FPS issues.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
As for Thaumcraft 4 addons I wasn't aware there were any. Possible link would be excellent.

Forbidden Magic and Advanced Thaumaturgy are the ones I use currently. Forbidden Magic has some Blood Magic integration in it, which is extremely nice and makes research much nicer. Advanced Thaumaturgy is one I haven't gotten into yet, but seems to be quite good. Also, @Democretes has Technomancy here on the forums, and it seems to be coming along quite nicely.

Reactions: YX33A

Jack0928PC

Jul 29, 2019
Forbidden Magic and Advanced Thaumaturgy are the ones I use currently. Forbidden Magic has some Blood Magic integration in it, which is extremely nice and makes research much nicer. Advanced Thaumaturgy is one I haven't gotten into yet, but seems to be quite good. Also, @Democretes has Technomancy here on the forums, and it seems to be coming along quite nicely.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. Added to list.

Reactions: Padfoote