Custom Adventure/Survival Map (Custom NPCs mod) Looking for help

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I know this isnt really an FTB mod, but these are my home forums so...yeah. I discovered Custom NPCs and all of its amazing capabilites, now I want to use it. I am wanting to make a survival/adventure map with it. Other mods I want to use are Flans with Modern Weapons Pack and SurvivalZ pack. The DirtBike Mod, JetSki mod and ATV mod, and Walking Dead mod. I want to use 1.6.4 *duck* Because it is more stable and has more mods available for use...

I want to make an abandoned city with shops and small survivor bases as well as enemy bandit camps. Using Minetweaker, I want to disable recipes for guns, ammunition and vehichles and instead have them to buy in shops. I also want to add Gregtech and IC2, and enforce Adventure mode. The idea is to have a normal survival game, but with some shops and NPCs to help you on your way, and a city to venture through for rewards and quests for powerul tools and artifacts. Shops I want to add: Weapons (DUH !), 1 melee Zombie apocolypse shop with baseball bats, wrenches etc. A gun store with guns/ammo, an armor shop with Custom armor you cant craft. Places to hire a mercs to join you on your adventures. Material stores where general good can be bought (wood/stone etc). Using quests and Minetweaker, I want to alter the way you progress through the game, and instead of just crafting/mining, use quests to progress. Maybe enforce a boss fight before you can get to the nether ? I would just make my own mod for all of this, but I dont know java...

If anyone would like to help or give me ideas feel free to reply/IM and we can start making a plan. If this map/pack is going to be shared, we'll need permissions and to setup configs. The first order of business it to agree on a modlist and acquire permissions...

Mods I want to use thus far:

Custom NPCs
Minetweaker 3
Flans Mod + Content Packs
IC2
Gregtech
BuildCraft
Railcraft
Chisel
Carpenters Blocks
Secret Rooms
Torch Levers
Flenhix Roads
Extra Utilites
Random Things
ATV Mod
JetSki mod
Dirtbikes Reborn
Mine & Blade Battlegear 2

????? More later....

Reactions: buggirlexpres

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Custom NPCs fills in the very large chunk of vital game that Minecraft is missing IMHO. I seems like sandbox freebuilding is an extra gamemode and Minecraft is missing the actual game. Which is fine, because its the best sandbox I've ever played in. BUT sometimes its nice to play an adventure map. Too bad there's so many great mods I'm used to playing with missing on alot of these maps...

Just for practice, I downloaded a well made Woodbury map (from Walking Dead), added the Walking Dead mod which makes Zombies not burn in daylight, added Flans Modern Weapons Pack and Custom NPCs and started setting up a mini adventure/storyline. Before long I tossed in Bibliocraft and DecoCraft. After several hours I realized that this will take ALOT of time just for the small Woodbury map. The map I REALLY wanna build will have fast travel systems, roadways, long desert highways fraught with undead danger and no gas or food for miles...Money system will add alot of mechanics we aren't used to, and since I dont think its easy to pund raw ore into a high tech weapon, you WILL need some money. At least until you find some kind of modern weapon smithing lab/forge...Factions, quests, storylines, evolving world, powerful rewards, uncraftable tools, weapons, food, health pack all for sale. The Thirst Mod ? I have a lot of ideas and I am sure all of you do as well. But doin this alone will take a lot of time. That, and I have the Creative minds' curse. Once I start building/designing, my imagination, and ambition, run wild. Before long I will be building an entire standalone game's worth of material for this... Well, if anyone at least has some ideas or suggestions, or would like to point me to a project already underway like this, using Custom NPCs mod, I'd love to hear about any of it.

If someone actually wants to help, let me know...If I make it alone, its likely to be suited to only my own taste anyways...

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Good idea. Ive been using Custom NPCs for a while now, on the Eldaria Islands custom map. Both just for aesthetic purposes but while I was testing all this stuff out I couldnt help but notice I had the makings of an amazing themed pack. All it needs to be "complete" is some work in minetweaker to remove recipes for certain things and make them quest rewards instead. And obviously a lot of time and effort in the NPC dialog department. Also it occurred to me that Better Dungeons and Roguelike dungeons would be an excellent addition, if you force spawn them into the overworld that is. You would need towns too, if I were going to do this I would download templates from the net and import them into the overworld.

I would suggest you add The erebus for more adventure, its a great dimension mod. Plus Mocreatures as well but you wont be able to distribute that.

Reactions: Sigma85

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
OMG I remember that map, I can't believe I haven't used it in a while, it's a great map. Perfect for what you're doing. And yes, Better Dungeons and Minetweaker with CustomNPCS is the makings for some pretty cool stuff. I went on MC Schematics and got alot of really neat buildings to use with MCEdit too. We have the same ideas, just different styles/time periods. Its hard to decide, Custom NPCs has everything you need for a modern zombie adventure or for a medieval magic adventure. Im not sure I could ever make something like Eldaria Islands though, so you should do something really cool with it I'd love to see it when you're done.

I wish that Vanilla Minecraft had some sort of big Dungeon and Boss to fight before you could get to the Nether, that's one of the goals I want to add. But what would I do ? Make Flint and Steel uncraftable and only a quest reward ? The possibilities are endless...Of course so is the work. What I really want to do is play Survival SP, with some quests required for progression and some unique/powerful stuff only available through purchase to aid you on your way. Medkits and Thirst, slow health regen, Zombie Awareness and/or Walking Dead, Flans Modern Weapons pack/DayZ pack...Wait, I already said all of this...lol...Well you get the idea...Honestly I wish it were already made, but I have a knack for this stuff, it reminds me of modding Elder Scrolls, designing buildings, NPCs and quests. I just learned that CustomNPCs can accept scripts as well, so it its as easy as scripting Oblivion, I'm all in...

**EDIT**
I decided to check out Eldaria now that you reminded me of its' existence. It must have been a very long time ago I had it, like 1.2.5 probably. lol. Anyways, now that I see you can gen mod ores in the new version if you wish, it opens up alot of possibilities. I think I may have to play around wih it for a bit, so thanks for the reminder ! And I'd love to see what you do with it if you make anything cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: epidemia78