Cursed earth spawner

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

wulfbearJoe

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there!
Does anyone know if a cursed earth spawner will keep spawning if there's no player nearby? If not, can you "fake" a player so it keeps on spawning while the area is chunkloaded?

Thanks
wulfbear_joe

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
If the spawner is in the overworld it will only function if players are nearby (within what 128 blocks?)
Shove it in a mystcraft age with a chunkloader and it should work if no one is in the age (or if you are in the age but within 128? blocks).

Reactions: wulfbearJoe

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
If the spawner is in the overworld it will only function if players are nearby (within what 128 blocks?)
Shove it in a mystcraft age with a chunkloader and it should work if no one is in the age (or if you are in the age but within 128? blocks).

Confirmed, 128 blocks is the magic instant despawn number
But optimally you want to be within 32 blocks of it if you're in the same dimension, because that's the range at which no despawns happen. But between 32 blocks and 128 the despawn rates are quite slow.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
You sir confirmed another fact I wasn't aware about, another awesome spawner idea that will only work when a player is nearby, I totally understand why they do this, for public server owners it help keep the CPU and RAM free when players that own a spawner aren't online even if they chunkload their base, it won't be full of entities), but its really a pain for the server owners like me that would love to make sure the spawner keep running at all time, I managed to find a solution, if I'm near my spawner when I disconnect, the spawner will still work (of course I guess we need a chunkloader, since my base is chunkloaded I have no problems with that), but if I forget to be around my spawner when I disconnect, I loose a lot of precious stuff (bones for bonemeal, rotten flesh for blood stained blocks, gun powder for various usage, arrows for my ACDS (Anti-Creeper Defense System)

wulfbearJoe

Jul 29, 2019
So guys, I've tried moving it to a mystcraft dimension and chunkloaded the area. However it only seems to work if I am standing next to it. I've let it run for the night while I was offline and I didn't gain any liquid xp at all. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
So guys, I've tried moving it to a mystcraft dimension and chunkloaded the area. However it only seems to work if I am standing next to it. I've let it run for the night while I was offline and I didn't gain any liquid xp at all. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Are you on a server, some server owners can disable the chunkloaders when a player is offline to save on ram and CPU also...

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019

I've noticed this with other spawner systems in 1.6.4. I think the "move it to a dimension with no players" trick may not work anymore. A vanilla spawner with rotarycraft controller doesn't work either, fyi, unless you're close.

wulfbearJoe

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure what you've done, are you using any kind of mcpc+ or other type of server that aren't the ones provided in the FTB launcher server download ???
I am using the direwolf20 server pack, fresh from the FTB Launcher.
I've noticed this with other spawner systems in 1.6.4. I think the "move it to a dimension with no players" trick may not work anymore. A vanilla spawner with rotarycraft controller doesn't work either, fyi, unless you're close.
If the spawn system has changed, do you guys have any other ideas for an efficient mob spawner on this modpack?
Thanks for all your replies! :)

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Well the only thing i can think of is just to place the farms under places where people are going to be. Or investigate the new soul shards: reborn mod and consider adding it when it gets out of alpha/beta/whateveryoufeelcomfortablewith.

Reactions: PierceSG

Niels Henriksen

Jul 29, 2019

If the spawn system has changed, do you guys have any other ideas for an efficient mob spawner on this modpack?

I have a farm with cows.... that gives essence, meat and leather

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
I have my cursed earth spawner on a DW20 server too, and it works great. Though I don't have it in a seperate dimension so during the day the gains in essence are really small (only a few cows are grinded because I also drop them in the cursed earth pit). But during the night time when nobody is on I always gain a lot of essence and loot. Just sayin that the nobody online mechanic still works in the overworld and tbh you're the first person I've heard of this problem in seperate dimensions. Are you sure nobody was exploring there?

Also you talk about liquid XP. Thats from openblocks. You should be looking for mob essence. Could be an mixed-up error on your part, or a flaw in your design.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I've noticed this with other spawner systems in 1.6.4. I think the "move it to a dimension with no players" trick may not work anymore.
That's odd, because the usual de-spawning mechanics seem to be unchanged. When you come back from the Nether, the zombie pigmen don't all de-spawn, they're still there when you return even if the area is chunkloaded and no players are in the dimension. This is the basic reason for the mechanic - otherwise, you could jump through the portal, all pigmen would de-spawn, and then you jump back again into safety. If non-vanilla spawners are not working in unoccupied dimensions, then it's something other than vanilla de-spawning that is happening. Maybe the mod that does the spawning is checking for a player in the dimension. Maybe Forge is imposing a no-spawning-in-unoccupied-dimensions rule.

Redius

Jul 29, 2019
1. Cursed earth spawners
2. Standard force-wrenched (or portalgun-grabbed) spawners in a darkroom
3. MFR spawners/grinders

I'm sure there are many others, these are just the 3 types I find myself using the most.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
1. Cursed earth spawners
3. MFR spawners/grinders

I'm sure there are many others, these are just the 3 types I find myself using the most.
Thank you! Now, if you could say something about the despawning mechanics - especially the mechanics for despawning while nobody is in the same dimension - on these mob farms you would be on-topic too.
;-)

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
1. Cursed earth spawners
3. MFR spawners/grinders

The only problem with all these solutions, none of them would work if you're not near it, and the worst of them is the vanilla spawners that you're forced to stay at less than 16 blocks of it to make it work... But at same time, I totally understand why there's no actual mod that work while you're not near it, its because of the servers, any kind of mob entities cause a massive amount of lag, if all the spawners would work when players aren't online or near their spawners, it would be a big problem for the server admins and owners, so most modders agreed that they would make sure that any kind of mob spawner they create would stop working if the player is away or not online

Redius

Jul 29, 2019

I was answering ^

Thank you! Now, if you could say something about the despawning mechanics - especially the mechanics for despawning while nobody is in the same dimension - on these mob farms you would be on-topic too.
;-)

Hooray for morning snark!