Request Curse vs Curseforge -- What's what?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
So, there are two sites for mods -- curse.com, and curseforge.com. Both are operated by Curse. But ... well, what's the difference between them?

M

MIC6890

CurseForge is the site modders use to upload files and edit projects, whereas Curse is the site intended for users to view and download mods with.
Does this mean the modders upload it on curseforge and then you can download it from curse? But then, why don't you download the mods directly form curseforge?

metalim

Jul 29, 2019
Does this mean the modders upload it on curseforge and then you can download it from curse? But then, why don't you download the mods directly form curseforge?
Because 2 websites makes it (curse) look professional. Why get competition from others, if you can create competition for yourself?
But we (customers) have to deal with 2 different comment threads.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Curseforge has more technical interface. Curse is for slow people;)

Mod/pack/content makers can disable comment threads in one one both services if they want.

CurseForge is the site modders use to upload files and edit projects, whereas Curse is the site intended for users to view and download mods with.

I personally recommend that everyone just use curseforge. It has prettier interface and gives more information about the files you are downloading. Curse also does not list additional files.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
...huh. I always just used curseforge! It allowed me to look at all the different files available, changelogs and all that, really simply, plus mod relations as well. That's good to know though!

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Actually it does, but it is behind a few buttons :/
Interesting... Where? I tried to find server files for https://mods.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/256183-ftb-presents-skyfactory-3#t1:other-downloads

Also metadata information about dependencies is missing. Might be useful for people who manually download mods for their packs.

I've used both, (in the same session too!) and I don't see any immediate difference at all
Well I see multiple differences: content might be ~same but curseforge's usability is much more better than curse's.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Also metadata information about dependencies is missing. Might be useful for people who manually download mods for their packs.
This is probably why I'm more familiar with Curseforge - until recently, I did a LOT of manually downloading mods as that was the only way I could play (had to put together mini mod packs for myself due to limited hardware).

M

Migmag789

Curseforge is a fancy version of Curse. You can upload files, makes issues, etc... Curse is the Twitch App interface (you can't upload in twitch app for exemple) but you can download, comment with Curseforge. My favorite is Curseforge.