Curse Client released?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Breaking news, it seems... haven't even tried to go look, just saw it on reddit...

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas..._voice_just_updated_with_ftb_packs_the_curse/

Not crazy about having some Instant-Message thing running all the time, but if it helps build some kind of Minecraft community, I guess that would be a good thing. Have to learn about this Curse client thing, see what it's all about. I sure hope it makes finding good public servers easier.

After a bit of a look, it seems like perhaps we can easily build our own modpacks without a lot of hassles? It says "Experience Minecraft like never before. Find the best modpacks from the world’s best creators, all installed with a single click. You’ll be playing faster than ever!"

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So what is it? I seem to recall a rumor it is the "replacement" for the FTB Launcher which will be going away? True, or false?

Since it's called "Curse Voice" it seems to be more like an IM voice app like Teamspeak, except with the game built right into the app?

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
it is a replacement.(from what i can see(maybe not I DON'T KNOW OH GOD DON"T CRUCIFY ME)) i can download packs through it.

also, Magic farm 3 is on it :eek:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Curse voice?!?
What the duck do they think we are all streamers or something?

First impressions. It SUCKS!

You can't remove the frends list.
It's minecraft launching function is little more than a plugin.
And It has none of what the planed pre-curse launcher was supposed to have and has half the functions of the current launcher.
I can't see any function to edit packs.
It has no listing to where the individual mods are coming form, who there devs are or even a list of what mods are in the pack.
And the only dev pack mentioned by name is jadded.

Last edited:

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Curse voice?!?
What the duck do they think we are all streamers or something?

First impressions. It SUCKS!

You can't remove the frends list.
It's minecraft launching function is little more than a plugin.
And It has none of what the planed pre-curse launcher was supposed to have and has half the functions of the current launcher.
I can't see any function to edit packs.
It has no listing to where the individual mods are coming form, who there devs are or even a list of what mods are in the pack.
And the only dev pack mentioned by name is jadded.
It DOES say Beta...

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
It DOES say Beta...

Problem is it hasn't changed at all since the last time we saw a preview. And there is no indications that they are working on these features.
Heck there doesn't seem to be space for most of these features.
And adding more space would require changing the size of the launcher. Along with fundamental internal workings. That is something you would want to do as early in the development as possible. As the more work you put into to development for this size the more you will have to undo later.
Worse it is so easy to see the deves simply not caring about adding those features.
Since someone who was a active player or even cared about such things probably would not release a beta with out them.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Wow spend a lil time with it. I can edit packs just fine, open the pack, click the ... on the top right, click unlock pack and edit to your hearts content. Also have you even talked to the Devs and given feedback? If not than don't complain about something you haven't suggested to them. They are very friendly and open to suggestions.

Reactions: Padfoote

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
Also have you even talked to the Devs and given feedback? If not than don't complain about something you haven't suggested to them. They are very friendly and open to suggestions.

An extensive amount of comments and criticism was given here in these forums. Where else should it be but the forums related to the game that the launcher was made for?

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I would try the Curse forums since it's made by Curse and not the FTB team. Also another point, only Jadedcat has packs there because they want to test the pack making and distribution models once it's ironed out anyone can make a pack. I don't see the issue here. Don't like the friends list? Don't add any friends and mark yourself invisible.

Seriously tho, it's a friggin Beta and it's actually working very well for making modpacks, all the mods come mainly from CurseForge. Once installed a list is easily visible. It's up to the pack maker to make a good description with the modlist in it for now, I sure something could be added to show the mods automatically. Also after downloaded, not only are the installed mods showed but you can turn them on and off individually along with what version they are and the mod creator is listed as well.

You can also install new mods, download resource packs along with maps. So I would investigate a bit more before you say it doesn't do all these things.

Reactions: Padfoote

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
And suddenly, I find myself happy that I've, for the most part, left this portion of the community behind and stopped doing mod packs. I play privately, pick the mods up I want straight from the devs, put it in MMC, and play to my heart's content, never having to worry about 'launchers' anymore, not having to worry about permissions since I'm not distributing anything (well, I'm maintaining a private pack for a friend to LP, but that's a PRIVATE pack, not publicly distributed), and not having to worry about the fallout from this particular bit of news.

I will say it is a bit disingenuous of Curse, how they've set up their EULA. Direct distribution rights for anything posted, I could see. They couldn't let anyone download if they didn't. However, it is quite another thing to have the ability to grant distribution rights to any packs on their launcher. Oh, but they can still have closed permissions in general to block packs hosted anywhere else... just not here. We don't want to tell developers what to do with distribution rights... so long as we get our foot in the door first.

Anyway, since Curse is the ONLY launcher that is currently OS-restrained to my knowledge (MMC, ATL, FTB, and Technic all are on Mac/Win/Linux), I do see this as a rather large step backwards. Use OpenGL and MONO instead of .NET and XNA and it would've had native multi-platform support (and better performance, according to Valve). Too late now, you'd have to scrap it and start over from the ground up to do it, and now you get to complain how hard it would be as an excuse to not bother with multi-platform support.

tl;dr: not impressed. Wish it would flop, but unfortunately they've got distribution rights to too many things to keep it from flopping. Further killing any interest in rejoining the mod pack community. Bla, bla, bla.

Reactions: psp and Wagon153

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Meh, it's not ready for prime time, but it seems to do the core function fine. Download pack, press play. Advanced users will want to download the pack and copy the instance to MultiMC, just like now.

I see they've done a fair bit of LCD-ing, which probably makes sense, but is going to annoy some forum regulars. Installing the client in %APPDATA% is not the best idea ever (they claim the option to change that is forthcoming). Launching on Windows start? No thanks (can change in Settings). Windows only? Regrettable ("Coming soon™ for Mac" however), but really, if you insist on using a hipster platform, you should be used to jumping through a couple hoops by now.

The upside? It's super convenient to whip together your own pack, assuming all the mods you want are published on curse. Just create a custom profile, click 'get mods', and search for/click on the mods you want to use. Brilliant! I fully expect that feature to be removed, however, when their support forums start blowing up from people not being able to use whatever mod because dependencies/conflicts and such.

Slind

Mar 8, 2013
Just noticed that the minecraft curse client is now public for windows.
http://beta.cursevoice.com/
First thing I noticed, it takes ages to install anything. Lets see how it does in terms of updating, does it download the full pack again or only things that changed?

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Actually the Curse client already existed before, for WoW, LoL and other games.
They actually did not make a whole new client but instead a Minecraft plugin for the existing client, which was Windows-only before. They can't easily change that.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh well. I had this idea that, instead of a forum, we would have a big huge chatroom filled with everybody who visits here, and we could talk and interact in real time thru this new client instead of having to type messages and then wait for replies over the next hours or days.

I've discussed my Xbox Minecraft experience before (it's how I began playing this game), but despite all the negatives (the Xbox version is ridiculously limited due to the small world size with a hard border around it, and lack of any mod customization), the one thing that made Xbox Minecraft so great was that I could fire up the console and instantly be in touch with all my friends and within seconds we could all be in the same Minecraft world having fun together. That is what I was hoping Curse client could be, except with mod customization.

The hardest part of PC minecraft is finding some good friends to play with. On Xbox, with the voice chat always running it was much easier to find random people who were "on the same page" as me (I'm an older adult so I really need to find people closer to my age than to the average Minecrafter's age!). On Xbox, you could create a world and then allow anyone to enter it, but also able to kick/boot anyone from the world if they were doing childish stuff like blowing everything up. I had a world that had all the items in the game in a big storage building (duping of items was a big issue on Xbox LOL), and my test was to allow people in and see what they did. If they built creatively and peacefully and cooperatively, they stayed as long as they wanted to - but if they immediately went for the TNT and blew stuff up, they were quickly kicked out for failing the test. Eventually I was able to build a nice group of friends that weren't minecraft psychos or "squeakers" (our phrase for the youngsters LOL). That was my great hope for the Curse client, that it could be something similar to Xbox, a place where all Minecrafters could congregate and talk and play and develop friendships over time. Quite honestly, I'm not ready to use the Curse client yet, I'd rather give it some time and see how it develops and see what other people's reaction to it is before I jump in.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
There will be an announcement going out soon about the future of the FTB Launcher. Please be patient.

Reactions: Flipz

PhoenixSmith

Jul 29, 2019
It's out now...

"For those wondering, the FTB Launcher will continue to be updated and maintained for the foreseeable future. Once feature parity between the Curse Client and the FTB Launcher has been met, we will then begin the process of retiring our launcher. At the moment, we do not have an exact timeframe on when this will occur."

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
It's out now...

"For those wondering, the FTB Launcher will continue to be updated and maintained for the foreseeable future. Once feature parity between the Curse Client and the FTB Launcher has been met, we will then begin the process of retiring our launcher. At the moment, we do not have an exact timeframe on when this will occur."

I wonder if we can get a FRB launcher skin for the curse client.

LordInnsmouth

Jul 29, 2019
Really late to the party here, but CurseVoice as it is right now is pretty junky. It takes a long time to get anything downloaded (what takes the FTB launcher 7-10 minutes, with youtube and other stuff competing for bandwidth, takes CurseVoice 30 minutes), and it seems to really clog my system down. It'd be a shame for FTB to go away.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Really late to the party here, but CurseVoice as it is right now is pretty junky. It takes a long time to get anything downloaded (what takes the FTB launcher 7-10 minutes, with youtube and other stuff competing for bandwidth, takes CurseVoice 30 minutes), and it seems to really clog my system down. It'd be a shame for FTB to go away.
For now FTB is not going anywhere as it is still in beta and things probably are going to change before it gets out of it.