Current state of Minecraft modding?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NinjaEnergy

Jul 29, 2019
Hello there, been a long time since a moved around on these forums.

I'm making this post to ask about the actual status of the MC modding scene, since last time i was active was around the 1.7 era. I'm asking about this since due to my current studies, i am learning Java, and thought that maybe doing some modding on a game i loved would be a good practice to help me improve.

But before that... Is modding still alive? Which version is the current one and which one has the most amount of stable mods/packs? Did we finally get the promised modding API (Dont think so, but yet...) ? Any info provided would be of great help, so thanks beforehand!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Hah, this is a tough one to answer, and more experienced people than me will be able to give you a more comprehensive answer. To keep it fairly simple: no plateau in modding like the one we had with 1.7.10 has been reached. We've had a couple of occasions where it's appeared to be, but then vanilla has updated again.

But:

Modding is absolutely still alive. Development is spread a little thinner, as some people are on 1.10, others are 1.11 and some are even pushing on to 1.12 (current).

1.10.2 is where we've got the largest stable of modern/updated mods, and it's where most bigger modpacks are currently at. However, 1.11 feels very much just around the corner, and there are a couple of the newer modders who have left 1.10 behind. Elucent in particular (who is responsible for Roots and Embers) has left the 1.10 versions of those - especially the latter - in a somewhat less than complete state, relative to their 1.11 versions.

The 1.10 packs currently out are pretty damn good. But as a modding community overall, it's seems to have been hard to reach a consensus as to where to "stop" in terms of versions - and by that I mean deciding on an artificial plateau around which to hang modding for this generation.

From the way the wind is blowing, if you're starting out a project (assuming therefore it won't be ready for a while), I'd aim to hang it around 1.12. That's the way the future is going, and 1.10 will be moved past at some point.

That's all opinion on my part, others may be able to give a more accurate outline of things, but that's how I see it :)

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
But before that... Is modding still alive?
Still alive an kicking.

Which version is the current one and which one has the most amount of stable mods/packs?
1.7.10 is still the biggest, but almost everyones on 1.10 and 1.11. A few are on 1.12. Moneys on 1.12 for the next big one, but it may end up a split-version stable point.

Did we finally get the promised modding API (Dont think so, but yet...)
The last i heard is that it isn't coming, as Forge offers more than what they could do. (that was over a year ago)

...and I still get ninja'd on the forums- so no changes there ;)

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

NinjaEnergy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, thanks a lot for the answers. Guess ill try to start tinkering about with 1.12 and see what i can get out of my newbie fingers. Cheers