Cross-Language Mod Development

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
holy crap is groovy nice or what
I made it work. Added it to main thread. Going to attempt adding an item. I won't bother with anything else, but I love Groovy now. I think I'll create my next mod with Groovy in fact

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
i think the reason for that is to add compatibility with FMP
Well that's not necessary for that though, but I guess it would make it easier.

A dealbreaker for me is often IDE support - Java tools are very matured by now and not many languages are at that level, especially when trying to interface with Java code ^^
For instance: A Scala case class is much shorter to write than a whole Java class with getters and setters and equals and hashCode... but an IDE can generate all of that for me in a few clicks.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Huh... looks interesting.

Unfortunately I've encountered a large issue. Because of the obfuscation, any references to Minecraft methods will not work outside the dev environment. A fix I thought of for this was creating an API/library written in Java that added new methods for all the Minecraft methods needed. I'll get started on it soon.

Perhaps some advanced addition to ForgeGradle would do it but I'm not really sure.

EDIT: I'm currently creating the API for 1.7.10, Forge version 10.3.4.1448. If anyone requests 1.8, I'll try to do that too.

EDIT: Never mind. That'll take way too long.

Last edited:

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Any at all? Does Groovy access all Java fields by reflection?
Anyway that can be a problem indeed for dynamic languages...but it's okay in Clojure. It will avoid reflection and you can tell the compiler to give a warning when it has to use reflection.
(Obviously it still makes the REPL pretty much useless ^^)

Anyway that certainly stinks...Groovy is pretty much out of the picture

Last edited:

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Anyway that can be a problem indeed for dynamic languages...but it's okay in Clojure. It will avoid reflection and you can tell the compiler to give a warning when it has to use reflection.

Huh, it does
I'll still try to make Groovy work. Even though my interest in modding has dropped significantly, I wouldn't want to give this up.

What about Google's "Go" language? It also compiles to JVM.
It doesn't appear so. While there is a version of the JVM programmed in Go, I don't think it actually works for Go.

Hea3veN

Jul 29, 2019

Technically, you could say that all jvm languages access all fields/methods by reflections. Since the instruction to access/call a field/method takes a string as parameter and the jvm is the one that looks it up. I've gone around this issue when making the snapshot mod by obfuscating my own class when it loads: https://github.com/hea3ven/Hea3venT...va/com/hea3ven/tweaks/RuntimeObfuscation.java . Still, this method requires you to provide the mappings.

If you are running Forge, then forge automatically modifies all of the minecraft obfuscated classes into the srg names (i.e. func_179540_p). If you manage to rename all your calls to mc code to the srg names and compile that, it should work.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
If you are running Forge, then forge automatically modifies all of the minecraft obfuscated classes into the srg names (i.e. func_179540_p). If you manage to rename all your calls to mc code to the srg names and compile that, it should work.
Tried that already.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Technically, you could say that all jvm languages access all fields/methods by reflections. Since the instruction to access/call a field/method takes a string as parameter and the jvm is the one that looks it up.
Yeah technically, but ForgeGradle replaces all the references that are done in this way during the build process. That's not possible for reflection, at least not until runtime.

RX14

Jul 29, 2019
If you annotate classes with @CompileStatic, does groovy work? Also try using the "indy" version, which useses java 7 INVOKEDYNAMIC.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
If you annotate classes with @CompileStatic, does groovy work? Also try using the "indy" version, which useses java 7 INVOKEDYNAMIC.
Unfortunately not. The indy version didn't work either.

I'm now trying to include both the forgeSrc and srg jars in the build path, and looks like it's kinda helping. Only disadvantage is we have to use obfuscated code (for vanilla stuff).

EDIT: It works but... damn. All Minecraft fields and methods are obfuscated. I don't think it's possible to work with.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately not. The indy version didn't work either.

I'm now trying to include both the forgeSrc and srg jars in the build path, and looks like it's kinda helping. Only disadvantage is we have to use obfuscated code (for vanilla stuff).

EDIT: It works but... damn. All Minecraft fields and methods are obfuscated. I don't think it's possible to work with.

There's a jar somewhere in your Gradle cache that's fully deobfuscated if you need something to build against. But then you'd have to remap the mod to SRG names before it could be used.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, maybe for the Clojure REPL I could make a macro which translates all the references using the mappings

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
There's a jar somewhere in your Gradle cache that's fully deobfuscated if you need something to build against. But then you'd have to remap the mod to SRG names before it could be used.
Yeah, I know.

Update: Playing with a new toy now. Called "Haxe"