Creeperhost questions

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
I have recently had some problems with a host and have therefor had to move host and im now looking for a good host and basically if you have had experience good or bad could you tell me your experience? i know they sponsor FTB but i want to know what your experiences are

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
I have recently had some problems with a host and have therefor had to move host and im now looking for a good host and basically if you have had experience good or bad could you tell me your experience? i know they sponsor FTB but i want to know what your experiences are

I've been using them for a few months, I really do not have experience with other providers. I've had a problem with them only once with their control panel DNS numbers changing but other than that they have a good uptime and good service.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
You lose everything if you forget to pay your bill past a week.
That's what I've heard.

Actually, you have 3 weeks. You have the first two after the invoice in generated until it becomes due, after which they shut down your servers (presumably to get your attention), then another week to pay them before they delete your stuff. This isn't exactly unreasonable, as these things go.

For my part, I've been using them for a few months, and don't have any real valid complaints (a few issues with the interface, but nothing that isn't just me nit picking).

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Your world is deleted 5 days after your account becomes overdue, speaking from personal experience. I suggest using someone else.

On the technical side they're..... slightly sub-par I'd say. They have decent portal tools but it's all super laggy, actual server performance was kinda laggy and it was just me and a friend on there, with no ages, on a "zombie" package.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
If you do not decide on a new host, OVH has dedicated servers for quite cheap. They do require you perform your own setup, and debugging, but any hardware issues are promptly taken care of, and the servers are fairly powerful.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/

If you prefer more of a assisted approach, I have used Redstone Host in the past and found them to be okay. Good pings, decent hardware, fast help desk response times, etc. They are VPS setups though, so you are sharing a dedicated box with others.

http://redstonehost.com/

Although, if Creephost suits your needs, I would advise going with them for the time being, as the FTB sponsor host they will provide a higher level of support than anywhere's else.

OVH > Redstone > Creeperhost

Assuming you don't need much help with setup and running the server.

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
If you do no decide on a new host, OVH has dedicated servers for quite cheap. They do require you perform your own setup, and debugging, but any hardware issues are promptly taken care of, and the servers are fairly powerful.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/

If you prefer more of a assisted approach, I have used Redstone Host in the past and found them to be okay. Good pings, decent hardware, fast help desk response times, etc. They are VPS setups though, so you are sharing a dedicated box with others.

http://redstonehost.com/

Although, if Creephost suits your needs, I would advise going with them for the time being, as the FTB sponsor host they will provide a higher level of support than anywhere's else.

OVH > Redstone > Creeperhost

Assuming you don't need much help with setup and running the server.

only reason i wont go with OVH is because the optimum setup is to use linux and i dont know the slightest thing about it

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
only reason i wont go with OVH is because the optimum setup is to use linux and i dont know the slightest thing about it
Don't worry, even someone as dumb as me has managed to learn the basics within a week. It's very straightforward and there's an incredible wealth of information about linux online.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if your new to Linux I suggest the option that OVH offers of Unbuntu Desktop 12.04. It comes preinstalled with everything you need to manage and run a FTB server, you just need to transfer the files and start up the server via command line.

It can be a bit daunting, but all you need is a SFTP client and an SSH client.

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
i honestly wouldnt be able to do it, i have tried installing Ubuntu dektop 12.04 on an old laptop before and i still couldnt figure out how to do anything im too much of a windows person, and i tried reading up on it but none of the knowledge sunk in =\

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
Don't worry, even someone as dumb as me has managed to learn the basics within a week. It's very straightforward and there's an incredible wealth of information about linux online.

i honestly wouldnt be able to do it, i have tried installing Ubuntu dektop 12.04 on an old laptop before and i still couldnt figure out how to do anything im too much of a windows person, and i tried reading up on it but none of the knowledge sunk in =\

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
I see you are in the UK like myself. I run a DW20 server with clanslots and it's been faultless for the 6 months I've had it with them and trust me, I can find faults with things that aren't even faulty. Tenner a month for a 15 slotter and their live support is excellent.

(I have no affiliation to the company, just a satisfied customer).