Creating a server from the Twitch launcher

• Thread starter LavenderTownsGhost
  • Start date
L

LavenderTownsGhost

On the FTB server tab, it says you can download a server pack from the Twitch page, but I don't see where that is.
I have a Skyfactory 3 world that me and my sister payed on over LAN (from my computer), but since we're both at different collages we can't play together. I wanted to set up a simple server so we can play again, but everything I've seen involves paying for a separate server host.

tdlr; how do I host a modded server from my own PC?

L

LavenderTownsGhost

So when I open ServerStart, it loads but then says "No java binary in path. Can't run server."
I assume I have to have the world open (which I do). Does it have to be in the same folder as the mod or something? I'm using the Twitch launcher if it makes a difference.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Do you have Java installed on your system? If you haven't, it's required to run a server. The reason the client does work is that the MC launcher has java built-in, so you don't have to download it.

DaemonUmbra

Jul 29, 2019
For this purpose I’d actually recommend logmein Hamachi, since using a dedicated server would require you to forward ports, which I doubt a college internet connection would allow. Hamachi will create a VPN so you can continue to use LAN mode

Last edited:
L

LavenderTownsGhost

Do you have Java installed on your system? If you haven't, it's required to run a server. The reason the client does work is that the MC launcher has java built-in, so you don't have to download it.
I installed Java an I can now connect to the server! It starts me on a new world though, is there a way to have it use a pre-existing world? and will my sister's and my inventories still be intact?

DaemonUmbra

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to rain on your parade but have you had your sister try to connect? Unless your server has ports directly exposed to the internet (which I highly doubt a college network would allow) she won't be able to connect to you. Single player worlds ARE compatible when copied onto a server though.

EDIT: You can also use Dinnerbone's server status query tool to verify that your server can be found at your IP. Sadly the system won't let me link it due to my number of posts being low, but it can be found easily enough with Google.

Last edited:
L

LavenderTownsGhost

She can't try today, but I'll use the server tool. Thanks for the advice!

L

LavenderTownsGhost

So I ended up using Hamachi to connect to the server, and my sister has to download it to, correct? And how do I get the server to use our pre-existing world?

DaemonUmbra

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, your sister will need to set up Hamachi on her end as well.
I can't recall if Hamachi will allow you to use LAN anyway or if you will still need to run a dedicated, but in case you do you just copy your world from single player into the server's root(meaning next to the minecraft and forge jar files) and in server.properties change the level-name line to be the same as the folder name, which will be the same as your world name

L

LavenderTownsGhost

So I have the server up and my sister has Hamachi, but she can't connect. She's in the Hamachi server, but can't join the minecraft server. does she need to log into Hamachi with the same account i did as well as the same server? how does she switch accounts?

DaemonUmbra

Jul 29, 2019
Are you trying LAN or Dedicated server, and how is she trying to connect, like through IP or is it iust not showing up in a scan of LAN servers

L

LavenderTownsGhost

I'm fairly certain it's LAN, and we're doing IP. I can enter the IP from Hamachi and join the server, but she cant. she's on the Hamachi server though. We also both disabled our firewalls to check.

DaemonUmbra

Jul 29, 2019
If you’re running a LAN server (the one from single player) she should be able to connect without an IP. Did you try a dedicated with IP?

L

LavenderTownsGhost

When I load into the server, the 'Open to LAN' is grayed out, so it might be dedicated? otherwise I don't know how to make it dedicated otherwise

L

LavenderTownsGhost

I feel like it might be an issue with Hamachi. When I try and ping her it times out, and the ip it shows relayed is different

RockTheMike

Nov 12, 2019
I guess this is about a year late, not sure if you'd check the board for an answer more than a year and a half later but I just figured this out with my friends. If it's not the firewall it might be that you have your network settings for the internet connection you use as "public" instead of "private." Private networks allows your computer to be discoverable and would therefore let your sister actually be able to connect to your server since it's being ran on your computer. If it's not your connection then it might be hers but yeah. On my Windows laptop I went into Settings and clicked home, then clicked Network and Internet, then clicked the Wi-Fi tab, then clicked manage existing networks, then clicked the Properties button under the internet connection I was using, then switched from Public to Private. I dunno if you ended up figuring out the solution way back when, I hope that you did but if not then I hope this response helps and you finally get the chance to play with your sister again. If this doesn't fix it then I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.