crashed then world is gone

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

FearOfPineapples

Jul 29, 2019
i was playing the dire wolf20 1.6.4 mod pack and on my world i have gotten really far in. i had a huge cow farm and decided to mess with the cow statues and when i placed one down then right clicked the trophy on the ground with the one in my hand and my game crashed so i reloaded it and the world is gone its still in the saves folder but mine craft doesn't recognize it as a save file. please help

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It happens sometimes. But the only fix I know is remake the world with the same name. Now, this may sound sad, like, "aw, I have to lose all my progress?" and no, I mean, without deleting the old save, make a new map with the same name as the old map. 'Grats, there's your old world. No idea why this works, or if this is a good or bad thing that this can be fixed in such a way...
But it works for me!

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
It happens sometimes. But the only fix I know is remake the world with the same name. Now, this may sound sad, like, "aw, I have to lose all my progress?" and no, I mean, without deleting the old save, make a new map with the same name as the old map. 'Grats, there's your old world. No idea why this works, or if this is a good or bad thing that this can be fixed in such a way...
But it works for me!
You know I heard about this a few years back and it has resurfaced on the forums, has anyone actually explained how it works?

Reactions: RealSketch

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I'm suggesting this to anyone who crashed and lost a world, and that is this mod called WorldStateCheckpoints
it has saved me countless of times ;)
Seconding it, but not for crashes, but because I'm not only using Hardcore mode and this mod rocks. I keep a few saves with it, and they all can be loaded after I die in Hardcore mode. Subnote: I only have one map at a time unless I have a testing map running, which I generally don't because I prefer to do my stupid crazy suicidal things LIVE. That is, no plans no blueprint no backup*.

*Except for the world states, anyway.

Reactions: RealSketch

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I think your only solution world be @YX33A or @Yusunoha
Otherwise:

ge3muh.jpg

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
As an aside, @RealSketch I love that meme and it doesn't get used enough here. The context may be sorta off since you are offering help and that meme is trolling meme and is not to be used in a helpful way if not attempting to make a new subculture with said macro, so keep any help out of any post you use that meme/macro in and I'll throw likes at you like I always do for people who amuse me, in addition to the people who are helpful.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
As an aside, @RealSketch I love that meme and it doesn't get used enough here. The context may be sorta off since you are offering help and that meme is trolling meme and is not to be used in a helpful way if not attempting to make a new subculture with said macro, so keep any help out of any post you use that meme/macro in and I'll throw likes at you like I always do for people who amuse me, in addition to the people who are helpful.
5c6d070b31713de90a6318739ae53bfd0153302b88766cdc82511da411b5c7c6.jpg

:D
Love your signature!

Reactions: YX33A

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
When your world disappears as a side effect of a crash like that (it seems to sometimes happen with any crash; there aren't particular bugs that always delete worlds) it means Minecraft has deleted level.dat but everything else is still there. (And no, I don't know why Minecraft deletes level.dat. Maybe it means it crashed in the middle of autosaving).

When you create a new world Minecraft reuses the same save location, since it thinks there isn't already a world there. But when it goes to generate the world, it realises there are already chunks saved, and loads them instead of generating new chunks. (More accurately it doesn't "go to generate the chunks then realise there are already chunks" - it loads the spawn area using the normal chunk loading mechanism, which generates chunks if they don't already exist, which just happens to be almost always in a new world - but that's not important).

This hasn't happened to me recently so I don't remember whether you keep your inventory when doing this. If you do, then it's because even though your inventory isn't saved in level.dat (because that was deleted and recreated) but it is saved in players/yourusername.dat, for compatibility with multiplayer saves. So it loads that.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
When your world disappears as a side effect of a crash like that (it seems to sometimes happen with any crash; there aren't particular bugs that always delete worlds) it means Minecraft has deleted level.dat but everything else is still there. (And no, I don't know why Minecraft deletes level.dat. Maybe it means it crashed in the middle of autosaving).

When you create a new world Minecraft reuses the same save location, since it thinks there isn't already a world there. But when it goes to generate the world, it realises there are already chunks saved, and loads them instead of generating new chunks. (More accurately it doesn't "go to generate the chunks then realise there are already chunks" - it loads the spawn area using the normal chunk loading mechanism, which generates chunks if they don't already exist, which just happens to be almost always in a new world - but that's not important).

This hasn't happened to me recently so I don't remember whether you keep your inventory when doing this. If you do, then it's because even though your inventory isn't saved in level.dat (because that was deleted and recreated) but it is saved in players/yourusername.dat, for compatibility with multiplayer saves. So it loads that.
immibis! :D

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Under Windows 7 you may have another option - right click the world save folder and look for the option to restore a previous version. That OS periodically and automatically saves backups of some files even if you don't have a backup drive. It's a bit random as to whether it'll get a date you're interested in, but there's nothing to lose in checking.

Unfortunately 8 ditched 7's approach - it can still backup stuff for you, but you 1) have to manually ask it to and 2) have to have a separate drive to backup to. Which for most people means by the time you've lost data, it's too late...

FearOfPineapples

Jul 29, 2019
i got my world back and my animals were gone so i was like okay lets put them back and i built a building then i quit and saved and around 30mins later everything i put back was gone except my inventory. i did multiple tests and all of them did the same thing

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Anybody want to help instead of reading the title like an infomercial

FTB
...que? We did help, we moved onto what the FTB forums do best; talk about random things that aren't related to the OP because that issue was solved.

Here's a few quotes from your own thread.
But it works for me!
I'm suggesting this to anyone who crashed and lost a world, and that is this mod called WorldStateCheckpoints
it has saved me countless of times ;)

So, to ask again...
Anybody want to help instead of reading the title like an infomercial

FTB
...que? You didn't get any help you say?

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking