Crafting Guide—the step-by-step guide to make anything in Minecraft—With Multiblocks!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Pull request for Thermal Expansion, added all the machines.
There's a problem on Line 34 and 70, put a period instead of a comma. I don't know how to change it after I've already sent the request. Kindly fix it? Thank you.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
There's something I believe you've neglected to include on your calculator.
I'll use your 64 count of Q-Body Armor as an example.

The raw component count requires as I understand it 12 resin which is made into 12 rubber. But then I'm led to assume the methodology of this process is done with a furnace.
Does this mean you'd need to include the coal needed to use the furnace?
Or what if you'd use an extractor. You'd only need 4 resin then, which would be poignant considering you use the efficient method of making tin or copper dust with their respective ore to double their yield.
It may seem as if I'm just being pedantic and if you don't consider this to be an issue, then by all means you need not bother to dignify this criticism, however it seems as though you may have to account for the method of making some of these recipe items.
Or you may wish to assert that the calculator makes these items with the assumption you'd use the least efficient/most efficient methods depending on the items you need and how you're to acquire them.

Andrew Miner

Jul 29, 2019
There's something I believe you've neglected to include on your calculator... what if you'd use an extractor. You'd only need 4 resin then...

You're quite right. The calculator works by successively trying to apply recipes for acquiring each item necessary until it can't break things down any further. Unfortunately, the current implementation always goes with the first recipe it finds, and therefore is generally very pessimistic amount the amount of material you'll need. In fact, I'm working on that problem right now. By the time I'm finished with my next update, I hope to make it so that the calculator can show you a range of possible options (where such exist), and be able to tell you which is the most efficient.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
You're quite right. The calculator works by successively trying to apply recipes for acquiring each item necessary until it can't break things down any further. Unfortunately, the current implementation always goes with the first recipe it finds, and therefore is generally very pessimistic amount the amount of material you'll need. In fact, I'm working on that problem right now. By the time I'm finished with my next update, I hope to make it so that the calculator can show you a range of possible options (where such exist), and be able to tell you which is the most efficient.

If I may suggest, you may wish to include options via check-boxes to include the use of extractors/macerators, basically any machines that generally exist for the purpose of yielding more than you would if you used the normal channels of acquisition.

For example. I have an extractor and a macerator in my setup that can be used. I check the boxes, so the calculator includes the algorithm for acquiring 3 rubber out of a single resin and 2 dust/ingots out of a single ore block. If I don't include those check boxes, the calculator would assume I'm using the normal channels of acquiring items -- In this case, the furnace.

Regardless, I do like this idea. I think it'd be quite a handy tool I'd get quite a lot of use out of. I'll be watching.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
If I may suggest, you may wish to include options via check-boxes to include the use of extractors/macerators, basically any machines that generally exist for the purpose of yielding more than you would if you used the normal channels of acquisition.

For example. I have an extractor and a macerator in my setup that can be used. I check the boxes, so the calculator includes the algorithm for acquiring 3 rubber out of a single resin and 2 dust/ingots out of a single ore block. If I don't include those check boxes, the calculator would assume I'm using the normal channels of acquiring items -- In this case, the furnace.

Regardless, I do like this idea. I think it'd be quite a handy tool I'd get quite a lot of use out of. I'll be watching.

So when you check x Box, it would switch recipes? We could have an alternative recipe book that the algorithm uses but isn't shown in the list that contains alternate recipes. The alternate recipes are only used if a specific box is checked.

Reactions: Succubism

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what'll happen if I do the Shiny Metal recipe and I also put in the output of 20 Pulverized Ferrous Dust. I already have a recipe for Ferrous Dust and I don't know how to say there'll be Ferrous Dust left over without ruining recipes that require the dust.

Andrew Miner

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what'll happen if I do the Shiny Metal recipe and I also put in the output of 20 Pulverized Ferrous Dust. I already have a recipe for Ferrous Dust and I don't know how to say there'll be Ferrous Dust left over without ruining recipes that require the dust.
You'll want to test it out, but I think if you list the recipe for Ferrous Dust after the recipe for Shiny Metal, you'll be able to include the Ferrous Dust in the output for Shiny Metal without messing with the primary recipe. I'm actually working on a change now which should make all of this work out regardless of which way you list them.

Reactions: whizzball1

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Btw, I have my TE Pull request up with I think all of the machines. I might have missed Energetic Infuser and Cyclic Assembler.

Andrew Miner

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all! I'm back to working on Crafting Guide after a long break. I've made a few adjustments to the UI and finished adding all the recipes for Minecraft 1.7.10. I've got some time off, so I'm going to be working on it full time for a little while now, so feedback and suggestions would be great!

http://crafting-guide.com

Reactions: buggirlexpres

NooBxGockeL

Jul 29, 2019
Friend told me about this, hope you are ready for critique ^^
First thought: "WHAT? On a Webpage ? Whyyyyyy ? Do it ingame!!!"
Second thought: "Oke recipes are easy json, why not write a recipe dumper mod if you insist on using a webpage as platform?"
... im just honest

Writing either wouldn't be that much of a hassle, if you allready know Java ofc ^^
~Markus

Andrew Miner

Jul 29, 2019
On a Webpage ? Why ?

I can see why you say that (and I thought of it myself), but I actually have larger plans for the website which wouldn't fit in-game. Moreover, while I do know Java, I'm not familiar with Minecraft Modding, and it was easier to explore the initial idea as a webpage.

why not write a recipe dumper mod if you insist on using a webpage as platform?"

Interesting idea. If anyone would be willing to write such a mod, I'd happily use it.