Crackpack visual glitch, need help!

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.
G

Gilligan

Title Crackpack visual glitch, need help!

Launcher Type Curse App

Modpack Crackpack

Modpack version 1.1.0

Have you modified the pack? No

Link to log file

Details of the issue I've been having this problem for a while now, and no one seems to be able to relate.

I seem to get random screen freezes every once in a while when I am on multiplayer. I go on with some friends, and after maybe 5 min - 1 hour (yes its that random) I will get an instant screen freeze and the only way I can stop it is doing a force shutdown.

The weird part is I can still hear the audio and apparently according to my friends I am still online and moving when I press wasd like nothing is wrong to them. However the only thing I see is a still image of when it froze previously.

I am at my wits end at this point and need some kind of options, I have already:

-Updated java to the latest version (java 8 etc)
-reinstalled minecraft and the curseapp and crackpack
-placed the files into my external Hard Drive instead of my internal ssd (im on a laptop)
-installed optifine, which didnt seem to help anything so I removed it in my latest instal.

if there is any more info you need let me know, but I really need some help :/

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Sounds to me like either your monitor or your GPU is being a derp, perhaps not Java or Minecraft itself. Next time this happens, could you upload your log file to Pastebin or some similar service and link it here? It might have some information in it that could help us diagnose the problem.

G

Gilligan

Sounds to me like either your monitor or your GPU is being a derp, perhaps not Java or Minecraft itself. Next time this happens, could you upload your log file to Pastebin or some similar service and link it here? It might have some information in it that could help us diagnose the problem.
Thanks for helping, here is the link to a crash log 2 days old
http://pastebin.com/cjcbBKEM

here's specs:
-Intel quad core i7-4700HQ CPU 2.40GHz
-16gigs ram
-windows 10 64 bit
-750gb ssd
Nvidia Geforce GTX 860 (laptop)

All the drivers are completely up to date, I checked a couple hours ago.
hopefully that log gives you some clues

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
The only possibly-relevant-looking thing I found in that logfile was this stacktrace:
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.ItemTooltipEvent@38cf4d86:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry$UniqueIdentifier.<init>(GameRegistry.java:389) ~[GameRegistry$UniqueIdentifier.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameData.getUniqueName(GameData.java:239) ~[GameData.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.findUniqueIdentifierFor(GameRegistry.java:462) ~[GameRegistry.class:?]
at tombenpotter.sanguimancy.util.EventHandler$ClientEventHandler.onSanguimancyItemTooltip(EventHandler.java:402) ~[EventHandler$ClientEventHandler.class:1.7.10-1.1.9-35]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_1333_ClientEventHandler_onSanguimancyItemTooltip_ItemTooltipEvent.invoke(.dynamic) ~[?:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:54) ~[ASMEventHandler.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:140) [EventBus.class:?]
at net.minecraftforge.event.ForgeEventFactory.onItemTooltip(ForgeEventFactory.java:169) [ForgeEventFactory.class:?]
at net.minecraft.item.ItemStack.func_82840_a(ItemStack.java:626) [add.class:?]
at stevesaddons.threading.SearchItems.setItems(SearchItems.java:82) [SearchItems.class:?]
at stevesaddons.network.message.SearchRegistryGenerateMessage.onMessage(SearchRegistryGenerateMessage.java:29) [SearchRegistryGenerateMessage.class:?]
at stevesaddons.network.message.SearchRegistryGenerateMessage.onMessage(SearchRegistryGenerateMessage.java:11) [SearchRegistryGenerateMessage.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.channelRead0(SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.java:37) [SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.simpleimpl.SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.channelRead0(SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.java:17) [SimpleChannelHandlerWrapper.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:98) [SimpleChannelInboundHandler.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:337) [DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:323) [DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:103) [MessageToMessageDecoder.class:?]
at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageCodec.channelRead(MessageToMessageCodec.java:111) [MessageToMessageCodec.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:337) [DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelHandlerContext.java:323) [DefaultChannelHandlerContext.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:785) [DefaultChannelPipeline.class:?]
at io.netty.channel.embedded.EmbeddedChannel.writeInbound(EmbeddedChannel.java:169) [EmbeddedChannel.class:?]
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.internal.FMLProxyPacket.func_148833_a(FMLProxyPacket.java:77) [FMLProxyPacket.class:?]
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.func_74428_b(NetworkManager.java:212) [ej.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.GuiConnecting.func_73876_c(SourceFile:78) [bcx.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:1661) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:973) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:898) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:483) ~[?:1.8.0_25]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.12.jar:?]
followed by this stuff
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: Index: 2 Listeners:
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 0: HIGHEST
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 1: ASM: vazkii.botania.client.core.handler.TooltipHandler@74b57cd9 onTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 2: ASM: tombenpotter.sanguimancy.util.EventHandler$ClientEventHandler@261e8c60 onSanguimancyItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 3: NORMAL
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 4: ASM: net.bdew.lib.tooltip.TooltipHandler$@43c09e46 handleTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 5: ASM: thaumcraft.common.lib.events.EventHandlerRunic@42267d43 tooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 6: ASM: buildcraft.core.list.ListTooltipHandler@50ded6c8 itemTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 7: ASM: minetweaker.mc1710.ForgeEventHandler@429c3632 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 8: ASM: com.brandon3055.draconicevolution.common.handler.MinecraftForgeEventHandler@527c355b itemTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 9: ASM: crazypants.enderio.machine.painter.BlockPaintedGlowstone$PainterTemplate@72cf9ec4 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 10: ASM: com.rwtema.extrautils.modintegration.TConEvents@1cfe6397 unstableTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 11: ASM: com.pam.harvestcraft.PamTooltipEventHandler@65372aa8 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 12: ASM: ftb.lib.mod.client.FTBLibClientEventHandler@12e74387 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 13: ASM: mcp.mobius.betterbarrels.bspace.BBEventHandler@c240d66 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 14: ASM: tonius.neiintegration.mods.mcforge.MCForgeTooltipHandler@492de83d onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 15: ASM: openblocks.enchantments.flimflams.LoreFlimFlam$DisplayHandler@4c2ed064 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 16: ASM: openperipheral.addons.glasses.client.TerminalManagerClient$ForgeBusListener@33b000c0 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 17: ASM: pneumaticCraft.client.ClientEventHandler@515678c4 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 18: ASM: net.darkhax.wawla.addons.generic.AddonGenericTooltips@1e2989c6 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 19: ASM: com.InfinityRaider.AgriCraft.handler.ItemToolTipHandler@46e339dd addClipperTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 20: ASM: com.InfinityRaider.AgriCraft.handler.ItemToolTipHandler@46e339dd addSeedStatsTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 21: ASM: com.InfinityRaider.AgriCraft.handler.ItemToolTipHandler@46e339dd addTrowelTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 22: ASM: buildcraft.builders.BuilderTooltipHandler@79cd14bd itemTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 23: ASM: INSTANCE onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 24: ASM: INSTANCE addTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 25: ASM: com.enderio.core.client.handlers.OreDictTooltipHandler@7bb8b79d onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 26: ASM: com.enderio.core.client.handlers.EnchantTooltipHandler@41088ede handleTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 27: ASM: crazypants.enderio.conduit.item.filter.ClearFilterRecipe@6b60c934 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 28: ASM: crazypants.enderio.machine.ClearConfigRecipe@7113b483 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 29: ASM: crazypants.enderio.gui.TooltipAddera@3c76829c addTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 30: ASM: com.rwtema.extrautils.EventHandlerClient@75c4e02c generatorTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 31: ASM: blusunrize.immersiveengineering.client.ClientEventHandler@50c8e00a onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 32: ASM: fox.spiteful.forbidden.FMEventHandler@46abf697 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 33: ASM: invtweaks.forge.ClientProxy@3ab79615 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 34: ASM: squeek.tictooltips.TooltipHandler@4c02b387 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[16:09:09] [Client thread/ERROR] [FML]: 35: ASM: tconstruct.achievements.AchievementEvents@1a1b5eeb tooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
which looks to me like a list of mods that have ASM'd into the method where this error occurred. ASM, if you don't already know, is a way of messing with Java bytecode after it's already been loaded into memory- sometimes causes issues.

Sanguimancy and Steve's Addons are the only mods (other than Forge and FML, of course) that appear in the top stacktrace, and of those, only Sanguimancy appears on the list below it.

If I were to make a guess, this particular exception was caused by Sanguimancy being a derp with one of its tooltips. Whether or not this has anything to do with your graphical freezing issue, I have no idea.

Things I'd try next, were I in your position:
- See if I could get the freeze to happen in singleplayer- maybe mousing over some Sanguimancy item triggers it?
- See if it really does freeze the whole computer, or if I can get out of it using the keyboard (e.g. ESC or F10/F11/whatever to get out of fullscreen, alt-tab to switch to a different window, alt-F4 to kill Minecraft, ctrl-alt-delete because I assume you're on Windows and sometimes that helps, etc.)
- See if it still happens after removing Sanguimancy or Steve's Addons or both
- See if any of the above result in log files with more useful information in them

G

Gilligan

Thanks for the very detailed response :)
I tested sanguimancy and Steve's addons in a single player world, and nothing wrong seemed to of happened. I would definitely need to test it more to see any final results.
One thing I should mention though, is that only the Minecraft window freezes, and when it does, I can press esc or inventory and my cursor comes up, so I can close the window pretty easily.
The only problem is that I can't see anything update as I press the keys. I have accidentally switched the language twice while spam clicking out of frustration :/
I wonder if maybe its just a very long lag spike, and if I should wait a very long amount of time to see if it will become responsive again.
I plan to play single and multiplayer again within the next 24 hours, then I can test how the game reacts to no sanguimancy and no steve's addons. I will be sure to show you any crash logs I get to see if we can find the problem.
I very much appreciate the time you are giving me, I hope this can be resolved soon :)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Thanks for the very detailed response :)
I tested sanguimancy and Steve's addons in a single player world, and nothing wrong seemed to of happened. I would definitely need to test it more to see any final results.
One thing I should mention though, is that only the Minecraft window freezes, and when it does, I can press esc or inventory and my cursor comes up, so I can close the window pretty easily.
The only problem is that I can't see anything update as I press the keys. I have accidentally switched the language twice while spam clicking out of frustration :/
I wonder if maybe its just a very long lag spike, and if I should wait a very long amount of time to see if it will become responsive again.
I plan to play single and multiplayer again within the next 24 hours, then I can test how the game reacts to no sanguimancy and no steve's addons. I will be sure to show you any crash logs I get to see if we can find the problem.
I very much appreciate the time you are giving me, I hope this can be resolved soon :)
That sounds to me like your OpenGL is messed up somehow. I don't know offhand where the Mojang launcher stores the OpenGL libraries it uses (look around in your Minecraft installation directory for something called "LWJGL"), but if you can find a way to make the launcher re-download it (by creating a new profile somewhere that won't use the same LWJGL, or by finding your LWJGL and deleting it, or by uninstalling Minecraft and reinstalling it from scratch), that might fix it.

In addition, this issue could be caused by a weird and highly improbable combination of many mods being installed at once. Just installing a couple of mods might not cause it to happen. My comment about "See if it still happens after removing Sanguimancy or Steve's Addons or both" was to see if the weird graphical freezing thing still happens in a pack with all the mods you have except those two- which is moot if the freeze doesn't happen in singleplayer and you don't have access to a server with precisely all the mods in your pack except those two. At this point, I'd try redownloading LWJGL, then get back on the server you were on when the freeze happened in the past, and see if it still happens.

G

Gilligan

That sounds to me like your OpenGL is messed up somehow. I don't know offhand where the Mojang launcher stores the OpenGL libraries it uses (look around in your Minecraft installation directory for something called "LWJGL"), but if you can find a way to make the launcher re-download it (by creating a new profile somewhere that won't use the same LWJGL, or by finding your LWJGL and deleting it, or by uninstalling Minecraft and reinstalling it from scratch), that might fix it.

In addition, this issue could be caused by a weird and highly improbable combination of many mods being installed at once. Just installing a couple of mods might not cause it to happen. My comment about "See if it still happens after removing Sanguimancy or Steve's Addons or both" was to see if the weird graphical freezing thing still happens in a pack with all the mods you have except those two- which is moot if the freeze doesn't happen in singleplayer and you don't have access to a server with precisely all the mods in your pack except those two. At this point, I'd try redownloading LWJGL, then get back on the server you were on when the freeze happened in the past, and see if it still happens.

I messed around in singleplayer for maybe an hour and no problems at all

I also tried to install LWJGL, this is what I did:
I went to...
-C:\Users\<me>\Documents\Curse\Minecraft\Install\libraries\org
-inside the "org" folder there was a folder named LWJGL as you said. the version was 2.9.1.
-I went to the lightweight java game library and downloaded LWJGL 3.0 the newest one
I found the new "org" folder inside the winrar and replaced it with the old one.
ran mindcrack, and it loaded up perfectly.
but, I found out later that crackpack just added the new one with the 2.9.1 again :/ so I dont think I was able to change anything. Now I have 2.9.1 and 3.0. The game still starts though. I'm not sure

Crackpack was updated recently, so I wonder if they may have fixed the problem, I'll need to test it out yet though without the problem mods as well.

I dont have anything more to say but thought i'd update you, if you have a solution please let me know but I'll be sure to test the game again for a couple hours tomorrow

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I was thinking that your previous installation of LWJGL might've gotten corrupted somehow, which deleting it and reinstalling it should definitely fix.

Keep an eye on it; see if anything meaningful happens.

G

Gilligan

Sorry for not responding in a while, but I seem to have found a solution. :)
Awhile back I purchased a new Crucial MX300 2.5 inch 750gb ssd and it was an absolute nightmare to install. My disk usage in my task manager would hit 100% and my computer would become unresponsive. I finally found certain programs and fixes to make it work.

I haven't had a problem with it for months, until now.
I decided to switch out my new ssd for my old hdd and try Crackpack on there.
Wow it made a difference! I got literally twice the fps and absolutely no freezes! I've been testing it for about 4 hours with all the mods installed and it's working perfectly!
So I wonder, are ssd's a bad choice for minecraft or why would this happen?

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Weird. Very, very weird.

I've got an SSD in my laptop and it works absolutely fine. I'd always thought that SSDs would be better for games like Minecraft, since they're fast and Minecraft likes writing lots of information to disk all the time, so the game won't spend as much time writing stuff to disk.

You already know that your system just doesn't like the SSD that you got, for whatever reasons; while you managed to fix the obvious issues, I'm guessing there were a couple subtle ones remaining that caused the weird Minecraft freeze. But I don't claim to be any kind of an expert for that sort of thing; that's just a guess.

Glad you got it fixed, at any rate.

G

Gilligan

Weird. Very, very weird.

I've got an SSD in my laptop and it works absolutely fine. I'd always thought that SSDs would be better for games like Minecraft, since they're fast and Minecraft likes writing lots of information to disk all the time, so the game won't spend as much time writing stuff to disk.

You already know that your system just doesn't like the SSD that you got, for whatever reasons; while you managed to fix the obvious issues, I'm guessing there were a couple subtle ones remaining that caused the weird Minecraft freeze. But I don't claim to be any kind of an expert for that sort of thing; that's just a guess.

Glad you got it fixed, at any rate.
Thanks, I might want to purchase a new ssd at sometime, see if I just got a weird one from crucial
I was also thinking that it might have been a problem with the cloning from the hdd to ssd, so I might want to wipe the ssd and install a completely fresh version of Windows, then just instal Crackpack and try again. But that's discussion for another time
Thank you for helping me :)

G

Gilligan

Thanks, I might want to purchase a new ssd at sometime, see if I just got a weird one from crucial
I was also thinking that it might have been a problem with the cloning from the hdd to ssd, so I might want to wipe the ssd and install a completely fresh version of Windows, then just instal Crackpack and try again. But that's discussion for another time
Thank you for helping me :)
WELLLLLLLLL looks like the issue came back with a bang -_-
if you wouldn't mind looking at the log to see if you can find anything
http://pastebin.com/mk7qRVZG
thanks, and sorry to bring this up again, I'm thinking of doing a fresh install of window on my drives even more now...

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
About all there is in that log is this thing, repeated over and over:
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.ItemTooltipEvent@35d745ad:
java.lang.NullPointerException
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: Index: 2 Listeners:
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 0: HIGHEST
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 1: ASM: vazkii.botania.client.core.handler.TooltipHandler@7569db83 onTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 2: ASM: tombenpotter.sanguimancy.util.EventHandler$ClientEventHandler@361ad961 onSanguimancyItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 3: NORMAL
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 4: ASM: net.bdew.lib.tooltip.TooltipHandler$@59fb051 handleTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 5: ASM: thaumcraft.common.lib.events.EventHandlerRunic@65785bde tooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 6: ASM: buildcraft.core.list.ListTooltipHandler@2df5f9df itemTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 7: ASM: minetweaker.mc1710.ForgeEventHandler@2a086b46 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 8: ASM: com.brandon3055.draconicevolution.common.handler.MinecraftForgeEventHandler@979f925 itemTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 9: ASM: crazypants.enderio.machine.painter.BlockPaintedGlowstone$PainterTemplate@28726255 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 10: ASM: com.rwtema.extrautils.modintegration.TConEvents@29ecfb3 unstableTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 11: ASM: com.pam.harvestcraft.PamTooltipEventHandler@118f880f onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 12: ASM: ftb.lib.mod.client.FTBLibClientEventHandler@444ca927 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 13: ASM: mcp.mobius.betterbarrels.bspace.BBEventHandler@bff6353 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 14: ASM: tonius.neiintegration.mods.mcforge.MCForgeTooltipHandler@7eea8842 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 15: ASM: openblocks.enchantments.flimflams.LoreFlimFlam$DisplayHandler@6db86916 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 16: ASM: openperipheral.addons.glasses.client.TerminalManagerClient$ForgeBusListener@76f57f9b onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 17: ASM: pneumaticCraft.client.ClientEventHandler@718c8590 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 18: ASM: net.darkhax.wawla.addons.generic.AddonGenericTooltips@7c49d6a onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 19: ASM: com.InfinityRaider.AgriCraft.handler.ItemToolTipHandler@45176586 addTrowelTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 20: ASM: com.InfinityRaider.AgriCraft.handler.ItemToolTipHandler@45176586 addSeedStatsTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 21: ASM: com.InfinityRaider.AgriCraft.handler.ItemToolTipHandler@45176586 addClipperTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 22: ASM: buildcraft.builders.BuilderTooltipHandler@4647acab itemTooltipEvent(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 23: ASM: INSTANCE onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 24: ASM: com.enderio.core.client.handlers.EnchantTooltipHandler@330c9e08 handleTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 25: ASM: INSTANCE addTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 26: ASM: com.enderio.core.client.handlers.OreDictTooltipHandler@249ba440 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 27: ASM: crazypants.enderio.conduit.item.filter.ClearFilterRecipe@7b737640 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 28: ASM: crazypants.enderio.machine.ClearConfigRecipe@7e25f31f onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 29: ASM: crazypants.enderio.gui.TooltipAddera@2a830544 addTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 30: ASM: com.rwtema.extrautils.EventHandlerClient@22ea12d5 generatorTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 31: ASM: blusunrize.immersiveengineering.client.ClientEventHandler@4b73dcfc onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 32: ASM: fox.spiteful.forbidden.FMEventHandler@1b9953e8 onTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 33: ASM: invtweaks.forge.ClientProxy@6e8a360d onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 34: ASM: squeek.tictooltips.TooltipHandler@682863c5 onItemTooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
[20:10:08] [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR] [FML]: 35: ASM: tconstruct.achievements.AchievementEvents@525cdcea tooltip(Lnet/minecraftforge/event/entity/player/ItemTooltipEvent;)V
This looks like the same NPE in ItemTooltipEvent as before, as well as the same list of mods ASM'ing into it, but, oddly, no stacktrace.

I notice that in this list, the lines are all prefaced with [NEI Item Filtering/ERROR], which makes me think that this NPE triggers when you type something into NEI, and it tries to search through the tooltips of all the items registered in the game to find the ones that match, but something's borked and it spits out a null object somewhere. Does your freezing issue occur when you type something into NEI?

Also, I wonder if NEI has its own log file somewhere. Might be worth looking for something like that.

There's also some lines that look like this:
[20:04:56] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[20:04:59] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[20:04:59] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[20:05:00] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: mantle.client.gui.GuiManual
[20:05:15] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:step.railcraft
[20:05:22] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:step.railcraft
[20:05:33] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:step.railcraft
[20:05:34] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:step.railcraft
[20:05:35] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiChest
[20:05:35] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerChest
[20:05:38] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:step.railcraft
[20:05:45] [Client thread/WARN]: Unable to play unknown soundEvent: minecraft:step.railcraft
[20:05:49] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: tconstruct.smeltery.gui.SmelteryGui
[20:05:49] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: tconstruct.smeltery.inventory.SmelteryContainer
[20:06:03] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.client.gui.inventory.GuiInventory
[20:06:03] [Client thread/INFO] [inventorytweaks]: net.minecraft.inventory.ContainerPlayer
which looks like it's mostly InventoryTweaks being a spammy derp and probably not relevant. Probably.

G

Gilligan

The freeze mostly happens when I'm using NEI yes
I was typing "tank" into the NEI search when it froze (I was looking for fluid tanks)
Im not exactly sure what you mean by NEI log file, but I can send spome screenshots of the config page for NEI if you want

Also, it may be good to add that I encountered this freeze again, and it actually resolved itself after maybe 40s - 1m
After that though, I had another crash, not a freeze, but an actual crash, I saved that crash report for you:
http://pastebin.com/EqmCTjhz
Not sure if its related but I got it anyway

I continued playing for maybe 1 1/2 hours after that and it didn't cause anymore freezes.
I'll continue to be on the lookout

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Your crash report shows an IndexOutOfBoundsException in an array in a container of some sort. That's... spectacularly useless. It does say it was looking at index 45 in an array of size 45 (Java arrays are numbered from 0, so an array of size 45 has indices that go from 0 to 44), which makes me think it was probably a badly-coded mod block of some kind that has an inventory with 45 slots. Does that ring any bells?

The crash report also has a nice mod list, which is mildly useful to me, since I'm not familiar with Crackpack.

The bit about an NEI log file was because some mods save information about stuff they in their own log files, so as to not spam the main Minecraft log. I thought NEI did something like that, but poking around in the instance folder for a small modpack of my own, I found no such thing. I guess I was confusing NEI's weird per-world config files with some other mod's logfile.

The next things I'd try are as follows:
- See what, if anything, gets spat out onto the game log when it freezes. I've had an issue in an old version of RotaryCraft where it would freeze my whole computer when I placed a pump over an ocean, and it would try to recursively go through every single water block in the entire ocean and just kind of consume my whole CPU... I don't remember if it eventually threw a StackOverflowError and died or if I had to forcibly log out of the computer to kill it... but I'd imagine that your freeze would spew some interesting stuff onto the game log, especially if it managed to fix itself.

- Try to see if there are any mods and mod parts in this list that do weird things with tooltips that could break NEI's search box:
Botania
Sanguimancy (note: Sanguimancy and Botania were listed in a separate section at the top of the list; may be relevant)
bdew lib
Thaumcraft (That primal charm occasionally adds some text to its tooltip AFAIK, but I've never heard of it causing problems for anyone)
Buildcraft Core
Minetweaker
Draconic Evolution
Ender IO Painter (or painted glowstone? the thing mentions both)
Extra Utils TiCon compat unstable tool parts
Pam's Harvestcraft
FTB Lib
Better Barrels
NEI Integration
OpenBlocks' Flim-Flam Enchantment
OpenPeripherals' glasses
PneumatiCraft
WAWLA
AgriCraft (listed three times in a row, for some reason)
Buildcraft Builders
EnderIO enchantment tooltip handler
EnderIO ore dictionary tooltip handler
EnderIO conduit filter
EnderIO clear machine config thingy
EnderIO tooltip addera (?)
ExtraUtils (has unstable ingots and the QED, both of which do weird stuff with their tooltips- but if they were bugged, I think we'd have heard about it by now)
Immersive Engineering
Forbidden Magic
Inventory Tweaks
TiC Tooltips
TiCon Achievements

Yes, that's the list of mods from the logfile you posted earlier.