cows

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
what do you do if you world doesn't have any close at hand. I have went 1000 blocks in each direction and found plenty sheep, chickens and pigs, but no cows. I need the leather for bookshelves. even if i find some. no way to lead them back 1000+ blocks with wheat.

found some 730 blocks away, but a huge mountain between me and them.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
what do you do if you world doesn't have any close at hand. I have went 1000 blocks in each direction and found plenty sheep, chickens and pigs, but no cows. I need the leather for bookshelves. even if i find some. no way to lead them back 1000+ blocks with wheat.

found some 730 blocks away, but a huge mountain between me and them.
Gravity gun / Portal gun.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Other than cheating them in through NEI or creative mode I don't think you have many options:

1) lead them with wheat indeed, though I agree it's a long distance...
2) if you have a portal gun (crafted or found in a dungeon like myself): open a portal in or near you base. Go explore your world. Once you find a cow, open up the other portal, grab the cow with your portal gun (default key is "G" to pick up blocks/mobs), and drop the cow in the portal. Job done.

Other than these 2, I cannot come up with other solutions.

Good luck,
Bel*.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Explore Mystcraft? If you can get ahold of some crystals, you can go to other worlds and drop them through a portal to your base.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You can setup a recycler system for scrapboxes and hope your luck will get you some leather. That was the only way I could get leather to even get started with enchanting and book making.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Kill enough for a tier1 soul shard, go back home and setup a spawner.

You can even breed them and kill the descendants for soul shard points.

Reactions: seannyyx

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know the offspring actually does give you souls. Didn't know that, thanks.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Also, if you are just wanting it for books, head over to the twilight forest. Hunt out a lich tower, and raid their library. I got a few stacks of books to begin with, which was more than enough to sort out an enchanting setup and get a book system up and running.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
I thought the soul shards were changed so the spawns from soul shard spawners didn't give you souls.

The repairing/combining soul shards does however work (in the latest Mindcrack pack) as demonstrated here by KingdaddyDMAC and copied by me last night :) not with witches though, I'm not suicidal.[DOUBLEPOST=1362565982][/DOUBLEPOST]source for spawners
Killing mobs from a Soul Cage mob spawner WILL NOT generate soul charges. However, mobs spawned from vanilla mob spawners will charge the Soul Shard, so it may be wise to build a grinder.
from http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Shards

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yes, but it seems that if you can breed the spawned animals, the offspring are classed as normal mobs, and so have "souls" unlike their devil spawned parents.

dc0110

Jul 29, 2019
Kill enough for a tier1 soul shard, go back home and setup a spawner.

You can even breed them and kill the descendants for soul shard points.
sorry, just read this again with my wide awake eyes on, so the 2 you're breeding from won't give you souls, but the others will?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but it seems that if you can breed the spawned animals, the offspring are classed as normal mobs, and so have "souls" unlike their devil spawned parents.

This is correct. You don't even need to let them "grow up". You can kill baby animals and get credit on the soul shard.

Note that everytime you make and break a soul shard the count goes back to the minimum necessary for its tier. This means if you have a shard with 600 souls and make a spawner you'll have a T4 spawner, but when you break it down you'll have a shard with 512 souls. So you either need two separate shards, or for passive mobs, you can get a starting population with the spawner, break it down, and keep that population to increase the Tier level

SteveTech

Jul 29, 2019
If you kill those stupid sheep/pigs/chickens then new animals will spawn.

i've never understood why people would rather sky rocket their world size than slaughter a few tasty animals.

Dafuq?

Jul 29, 2019
You can kill baby animals and get credit on the soul shard

Finally, a sane reason to kill baby animals! :D

If you kill those stupid sheep/pigs/chickens then new animals will spawn.

i've never understood why people would rather sky rocket their world size than slaughter a few tasty animals.

Yeah but cows don't spawn everywhere, especially with ExtraBiomes you can get extremely unlucky. I had the same problem a while ago, and believe me, I killed everything that moved, over and over again, but still no cows.

Gwinbar

Jul 29, 2019
Can you take animals through the Nether in 1.4.7? Cause that seems like the easier option.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
When I need books in the early game I just raid a few villages. I'm not sure how you can get cows though if you want raw leather.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
If you're after the leather and not just books, then the twilight forest still isn't a bad place to look. There's plenty of deer around that drop leather just like cows.