Cow farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
C

Culprit

Right now for my beef farm I have a wheat farm with a sprinkler, MFR harvester and planter set up, with a pen for cows set up right beside it. I am feeding the wheat into an MFR breeder that I have turned off for now because I have too many cows. My original plan was to build a chronotyper and a slaughter with a vacuum to suck up essence and xp, but the chronotyper takes emeralds. I am slightly toying with the idea of seeing if I can find a village and trade them for emeralds but is there any other way to automate a cow farm?

Last edited:
S

ServerLagger™

You could have a timer activate a drawbridge from TiCo and have all the adult cows suffocate, given that the baby ones are less than a block tall. This works if you do not care about looting, tho. If you are into Blood Magic, and if I remember the Well of Suffering mechanic well enough, you can use OpenBlocks fans to push the calves through a 1 block high opening and have the well kill em right when they grow up. Mwhahaha.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
IMO nothing beats the Chronotyper. Couple that with a Feed Station for safety. And a Grinder/Killer Joe with looting sword to kill them(I rather have the leather and beef, than liquid meat).

The other setups I have tried were all really annoying, low efficiency or subject to breeding out of control.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Thaumcraft Golems are intelligent enough to kill all but a breeding pair. Thaumic Tinkerer Corporeal Attractors, can distinguish between adult/child states, so you could set them to suck baby cows towards them, and then pulse it on/off to drag them over a drop into a kill area, if you want to use a Killer Joe or something with looting.

On the other hand, depending on the mods installed, you might find Villagers 'shedding' emeralds. So no trading needed.

C

Culprit

Hmmm, I finally got some stuff to trade and got some emeralds, so right now I have a breeder over one pen, a chronotyper taking babies into another, and then one more chronotyper taking the grownup babies into another pen with the slaughterer, the slaughterer is hooked up to a meat compressor ( I dont remember exactly what its called, which is then hooked up to a alloy smelter which then goes into a barrel. I might exchange the breeder for a Feed Station, and the slaughter for a Killer Joe, your right, the leather and real meat is better then cooked meat ingots :D

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, I finally got some stuff to trade and got some emeralds, so right now I have a breeder over one pen, a chronotyper taking babies into another, and then one more chronotyper taking the grownup babies into another pen with the slaughterer, the slaughterer is hooked up to a meat compressor ( I dont remember exactly what its called, which is then hooked up to a alloy smelter which then goes into a barrel. I might exchange the breeder for a Feed Station, and the slaughter for a Killer Joe, your right, the leather and real meat is better then cooked meat ingots :D
you shouldnt need 2 chronotypers i think both slaughterhouse and grinder both wont kill babies

Reactions: rhn
C

Culprit

ERRRRRR IM so dumb! I wasnt thinking and i did the slaughterhouse I could have done the grinder and got the meat and leather like usual without two chronotypers. UGH im gonna have to go change it

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
ERRRRRR IM so dumb! I wasnt thinking and i did the slaughterhouse I could have done the grinder and got the meat and leather like usual without two chronotypers. UGH im gonna have to go change it
You probably need both Chronotypers if you want to use the KillerJoe. Don't remember if it kills babies.
But well worth it IMO ;)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you go the Grinder route, you get the drops (no looting bonus) as well as mob essence. That mob essence can be used in an Autospawner to help fill the gaps in other mob drops you may be short on (Enderman are a staple spawn for many). Since it usually takes more essence to spawn a mob than grinding it provides, a farm like yours can make a nice difference in evening out production.

Edit:. It could also be used to spawn more cows (as adults) if that was your sole intention.