Couple of RotaryCraft related questions.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
1.) Canola seeds. Am I alone in having them derp out when you try planting them?

I'm using a bog standard 9x9 farm, with an aqueous accumulator and a sprinkler in the middle. Canola seeds refuse to plant on random blocks of farmland for no apparent reason.
Then after a while they seem to work, only to have other blocks refusing to plant, from would I just harvested canola seeds. Weird.

2.) How hard is it to add something myself to the ore dictionary?

I remember in Monster that RotaryCraft HSLA steel and Railcraft steel were interchangeable. I'm now playing DW20 to which I added RoC myself, so no biscuit on the the steel.

Can I easily add it myself?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
1.) Canola seeds. Am I alone in having them derp out when you try planting them?

I'm using a bog standard 9x9 farm, with an aqueous accumulator and a sprinkler in the middle. Canola seeds refuse to plant on random blocks of farmland for no apparent reason.
Then after a while they seem to work, only to have other blocks refusing to plant, from would I just harvested canola seeds. Weird.

I remember in Monster that RotaryCraft HSLA steel and Railcraft steel were interchangeable. I'm now playing DW20 to which I added RoC myself, so no biscuit on the the steel.

I can't say anything about the farm problems, but there is a RotaryCraft config setting to make HSLA steel available as a steel equivalent to other mods, which is set by default in Monster but not set by default if RotaryCraft creates its own config. Should be super-easy. As for the other way, there is a RotaryCraft machine which turns other mods' steel into HSLA steel, but why would you ever want to do that? RotaryCraft steel production is super-easy. You don't even need power, just fill coal, sand and iron into a blast furnace placed over a source block of lava.
Or has that changed in v25?

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
I don't want to turn HSLA into other steel. I want the other mods to be able to use HSLA!

Took me ages to make enough steel to make a railcraft steam turbine, as I was forced to make steel the hard way, since the recipes refused to use HSLA.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I don't want to turn HSLA into other steel. I want the other mods to be able to use HSLA!
As I said: use the config setting that makes HSLA steel available to other mods as a steel equivalent.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Thanks I'll dig it out of the configs :)[DOUBLEPOST=1407840339][/DOUBLEPOST]B:"Allow RC steel to be used in other mods"=false

Bingo!

Spork

Jul 29, 2019
With regards to your canola seed planting issue, try and place a piece of dirt on the spot where you want to plant your seeds, then break and re-hoe the farm plot where the dirt was. It should clear any block issues, seems to be a strange block update issue.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019

1 is probably railcraft hidden blocks or lighting like said above, so more lights/place a block there and rehoe

Reactions: Wagon153

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
1 is probably railcraft hidden blocks or lighting like said above, so more lights/place a block there and rehoe
Yeah that worked.

Weird though. Only happens for canola. I have no issues planting other seeds on the same block.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
Rotarycraft tends to have a lot more problems with the railcraft hidden block than other mods for some reason. Anybody else notice this or am I just crazy?

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
RotaryCraft canola is picky. For one, it refuses to be planted on Fertilized Soil from Random Things. It'll plant just fine, but a few seconds later, it'll pop off the land, even when its properly lit. If memory serves, it also resists the effects of RotaryCraft's fertilizer machine, which seems a tad queer, to me. MFR refuses to work with it because Skyboy has some heretofore unknown issue with Reika. The only way to auto-farm it is with RotaryCraft itself, using the mod's fans and, just to make sure everything goes where its supposed to, a powered item vacuum.

However, they take to bonemeal like kudzu to a building. They love the hell outta some bonemeal, and if you've got a source of tonnes of bones, you can make a nice setup with a few autonomous activators and a powered item vacuum to turn a single block of canola crop into an ultra-fast farm. It requires a little redstone timing, but some basic ComputerCraft can fix that up right quick.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
RotaryCraft canola is picky. [...] The only way to auto-farm it is with RotaryCraft itself, [...]
Not true. Thaumcraft golems work fine. Also, vacuum hoppers work perfectly as an unpowered alternative to item vacuums. Having said that, if you speed up growth enough, the golems won't be able to keep up, and you can run the fans with DC engines, so you won't need any external power supply for a canola farm either way.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
you can run the fans with DC engines, so you won't need any external power supply for a canola farm either way.
Not without gearboxes. They need 512 rad/s to harvest crops. But one steam engine can power up to 16 fans.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
So what's this railcraft hidden block anyways?

I made a new 9x9 yesterday for canola in the middle of nowhere, and took me half an hour of faffing around with breaking blocks and re-hoe'ing until I could get all 9x9 of canola planted.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So what's this railcraft hidden block anyways?

I made a new 9x9 yesterday for canola in the middle of nowhere, and took me half an hour of faffing around with breaking blocks and re-hoe'ing until I could get all 9x9 of canola planted.

Can't tell you, it's hidden :)

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
but .. but ...

Also, don't eject ethanol crystals from a redstone furnace to a JABBA barrel directly.

Crashes the server :(

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
but .. but ...

Also, don't eject ethanol crystals from a redstone furnace to a JABBA barrel directly.

Crashes the server :(

Never seen that before. Is it specifically an ethanol thing or does that go for any item autoejected from a redstone furnace to a barrel?

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Looks like ethanol crystal specific. Crashed server 3 times in a row every time I tried it.

No crashlogs though. Server just ... hangs.

Putting an itemduct in between seems to have solved the problem.