Countering hard mode in GregTech

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

einsteinsci

Jul 29, 2019
I've been getting a bit more interested in all the endgame stuff added by GregTech, but the huge nerfs and "hard mode" always bugged me. Back in Ultimate and Beta A, I just turned the hard mode stuff off. It ended up getting really boring. Then I thought I could do what Tekkit's Big Dig does: make all the ores super common, to eliminate the dragging on that GregTech adds with its hard mode. GregTech nerfs + Ore population buffs = fair and interesting game, right? I started copying pieces of Tekkit's cofh/world.cfg file into the one for FTB Unhinged, excluding the stuff that is in Tekkit but not FTB. I got all the TE ores and vanilla ores working right away, but I am having trouble with increasing the spawn rates of the other ores, namely Uranium and all of GregTech's ones (like bauxite) to "Big Dig" levels. They simply didn't appear any more often. As a test, I added the ore "melonium" (melon block, it's easy to spot) in world.cfg and worldcustomgen.txt, with huge spawn rates and the melon block ID and meta. I made a new world, and I don't see any "melonium" veins. Am I misunderstanding how cofhWorld works? Does it only work with blocks that are actual ores in the worldgen code of vanilla or mods by cofh (Thermal Expansion, for example)?

These are my configs:
World.cfg
WorldCustomGen.txt

EDIT: I felt compelled to replace melonium's ID from 103 (melon) to 46 (TNT) in world.cfg, and my new test world started blowing up from inside the mines. Looks like melonium generated next to lava chasm. :p This makes me wonder, what counts as generateable in cofhWorld?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
gregtech doesn't have much in the way of ore config.
theres two options that you've probably found:
the worldgen sections at the bottom of the GregTech.config and the DynamicConfig.
and you can forget about iridium.

biomirth

Jul 29, 2019
Add Mystcraft, disable negative world effects in config, give yourself a full symbols book and spawn a dense ore mining world. Make it 4x or 8x dense even. Works with Mindcrack, dunno about other packs or how the config works in newer versions of Mystcraft.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
It might be easier to counter the difficulty of GT by simply enabling easier options. For example, the time to centrifuge things can be adjusted individually. Want to be able to centrifuge redstone in a second? Change its number to 20. Want near instant assembling times for things in the assembly machine that are typically shapecrafted instantly? Change the number of those things to 2. All the plates can be set to be optional. Even how long it takes to burn through various fuels can be adjusted.

And if you really want more uranium, go into the IC2 config and jack up the ore density through the roof. While there, you can also adjust how much base eu/t a reactor will generate per uranium (default is only 5, which is worse than the generator it's made from). You can also disable copper/tin/etc generation here and use other mods to supply that in order to avoid worlds made out of mostly copper/tin. Remember, in most FTB packs if two mods generate the same kind of ore usually only one of them will be enabled; so they might be off to begin with.