Could you play exclusively in the nether?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
I typically host a server for myself and friends. We've been getting rather bored lately. Looking for a new challenge.

I was wondering the other day how hard it would be to start and play exclusively in the nether. Vanilla couldn't do it, but I think FTB has enough extra components (food, ores, etc) to make it possible.

Has anyone tried? Here are the elements I've thought of.

Start new world, go in creative, make a nether portal and then destroy from other side.
Move start/spawn position to nether for other players.

Is it really that easy?

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I've thought about doing this many times but ghast whining gets on my last nerve.
I changed that to the sound of magnitude from community saying "pop pop"
Edit: damn autocorrect...

Last edited:

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Never played it but you can elaborate if you want.
The number of nether hellfish is drastically scaled upwards. Basically like an adventure map silverfish swarm but with the nether variant that a mod added (I think they're more durable so thus they call more buddies in before you can kill them)

Albin_Xavier

Jul 29, 2019
The number of nether hellfish is drastically scaled upwards. Basically like an adventure map silverfish swarm but with the nether variant that a mod added (I think they're more durable so thus they call more buddies in before you can kill them)
Every Nether ore you break has a chance to spawn Hellfish, and the Hellfish will break Nether ores, spawning more Hellfish, until you either leave, or die. (Leaving is much easier said than done)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Oh. That's in the main RR pack and has been even before AgSkies. I'm not afraid of them and I've dealt with them quite a bit. I got caught in a hole with a swarm of them andwas taking damage from them and the poisonous ores from Metallurgy. But yes they are bad.

sonicfan315

Jul 29, 2019
You're not familiar with natura/BoP nether dangers then. Top that off with TC fire bats and a side of metallurgy poison ores and the nether is, well, hell.
Actually the BoP/Natura bits aren't that dangerous. Hell they give you wood in the nether.
The only thing that's really dangerous are Fortresses, which are avoidable.
And Zombie Pigmen, which are simple to deal with. Don't get near the damn things.

Other than that you can get most of the basics of what you need in the nether quite nicely. Sure your ores might explode occasionally, but so what.