Copper cables,refined iron cables or gold cables? Whats better?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Really, really bad necro. There hasn't been loss in IC2 cables since MC 1.5.

In MC 1.6 and MC 1.7, you can use whatever IC2 cable you want. No max EU/t and no loss.

If you want loss, you can use GT cables in GT 5 in MC 1.7.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Really, really bad necro. There hasn't been loss in IC2 cables since MC 1.5.
In MC 1.6 and MC 1.7, you can use whatever IC2 cable you want. No max EU/t and no loss.
If you want loss, you can use GT cables in GT 5 in MC 1.7.

I'm playing Ultimate where there's a ridiculous amount of loss in the IndustrialCraft metal cables. Not surprised it got changed though because it made the gold and iron cables useless.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
If you want loss realism, you can use GT cables in GT 5 in MC 1.7.

fyp :D Really loving GT electricity with volts and amps and having to use transformers to step up for long-distance transmission (to minimize voltage losses) and only stepping down with another transformer at the end (usage) point. Realism.

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing Ultimate where there's a ridiculous amount of loss in the IndustrialCraft metal cables. Not surprised it got changed though because it made the gold and iron cables useless.

Ultimate is a 2-year-old modpack.

And you're still wrong. Apart from glass fibre, and tin cable (which is only useful to connect renewable generators to a batbox), EV over refined iron cable is the most efficient way to transfer IC2 power.

I'm not surprised it got changed though, because everyone was spreading misinformation that made the mod look dumb.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Ultimate is a 2-year-old modpack.

Great, then that explains why I've been playing Ultimate for more than a year now.
The funny thing is, I've never been in a situation where I've needed to transfer EV for a long distance, so it's hardly misinformation.

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
I believe glass fibre cables are the best. But for the metal cables tin is the best.

Sent from some stupid phone using tappatalk kappa

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
For metal cables, in old versions of IC2 and/or IC2 Classic:

* Tin is best for ultra-low voltage (which is only encountered when you're connecting a solar/wind/water farm to a storage block).
* Copper is best for low voltage (outputted by batboxes).
* Gold is best for medium voltage (outputted by MFEs).
* Iron is best for high voltage (outputted by MFSUs).
* Iron is best for extreme voltage (outputted by HV transformers).

Glass fibre is equivalent to tin for ultra-low voltage, and better for every other voltage, however it's expensive.

Note: Gold cable+MV is better than copper cable+LV, because the increase in voltage more than compensates for the increase in loss-per-packet. This also means iron cable+HV or iron cable+EV is better than gold cable+MV.

(TLDR Higher-tier cable is better, but only if used in conjunction with higher voltages! This is almost always misunderstood!)