Controlling Computercraft With Reddit ('Cause I Can)

elfin8er

Jul 29, 2019
In the past, I've been able to control Computercraft with various devices including sms text messaging, xbox controllers, and wiimotes. This time, I decided to try and control Computercraft using Reddit, mostly just to see if it could be done. The answer is, yes it can be. Though the code is far from perfect, this is a concept showing that Computercraft can in fact be controlled using a subreddit I created. If I get enough requests, I may livestream a turtle for a few hours sometime, and have the subreddit open to the public. However, I don't think it's stable enough right now.

For those of you who don't want to have to set the system up yourself, and create your own subreddit, I've created a simple video showing the system in action, and a brief overview of how it works.

If you want more projects like this, feel free to subscribe :)

For those who are interested, you can find the current lua code HERE, the JSON API I used can be found HERE, and the PHP code can be found HERE. Of course if you want to use this on your own, you'll need to change a few of the variables. You can also find the Computercraft forum post that I created HERE.

RainbowCupcake

Jul 29, 2019
This is very interesting. I didn't even know that you could control turtles with outside sources. I might take a loot at the code so I could learn a bit more about turtles/programming/computercraft in general. I wish I had more time and patience so I could actually use computercraft without 100 google searches.

Reactions: Donut Legend

Programmdude

Jul 29, 2019
It seems like an interesting idea. Not particularly useful though, unless you plan on getting reddit to do your mining for you.
I'm an experienced(ish) programmer, and I still need half a dozen of tabs open when programming computercraft/opencomputer lua.

Donut Legend

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, can't believe such a thing is possible with computer craft.... I do not have any experience in programming so I couldn't dream of getting a turtle to work without a Google search, much less getting it to work from reddit.

Reactions: Platinawolf