[Computercraft] Cannot terminate progs on turtles

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings,

I am having problems trying to get my turtles to terminate their programs. I do ctrl+T and get the line 'Terminated' but I am unable to input any commands.

The turtle is a mining turtle with a wireless modem.

I am running Direwolf20's 'awaitCommand' prog on my turtles and a 'startup' prog. The STARTUP prog is the prog that is running because I noticed the 'awaitCommand' prog stopped everytime I left the chunk and I didn't want to have to keep running the prog on the 16turtles that I have.

Code:
startup
while true do
  shell.run("awaitCommand")
end

awaitCommand
rednet.open("right")
while true do
  senderID, message, distance = rednet.receive()
  print(message)
  shell.run(message)
end

Thanks for helping me to completely stop the programs so I can get back in to edit the programs.

Zerro0713

CenturionArcher

Jul 29, 2019
You need to hold CTRL+T for a few seconds while in the turtles screen.
EDIT: Sorry missed the end of the first sentence. I'm not sure what to do then.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
You need to hold CTRL+T for a few seconds while in the turtles screen.
EDIT: Sorry missed the end of the first sentence. I'm not sure what to do then.

I just hope that I don't have to completely recycle and make 16 new Turtles

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
When you terminate the "awaitCommand" script, control reverts to the startup script, which for whatever reason is set to re-run the "awaitCommand" script straight away. You hence never have time to kill the startup script and it'll never end on its own. I'm not sure why you put that "while true" loop around the shell.run statement, but that's your problem.

I gather if you put a disk drive next to the turtle with a different startup script on it, you can reboot it and it'll run that instead of the broken one you've setup on its own drive. Not sure of the particulars, haven't tried it myself.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
When you terminate the "awaitCommand" script, control reverts to the startup script, which for whatever reason is set to re-run the "awaitCommand" script straight away. You hence never have time to kill the startup script and it'll never end on its own. I'm not sure why you put that "while true" loop around the shell.run statement, but that's your problem.

I gather if you put a disk drive next to the turtle with a different startup script on it, you can reboot it and it'll run that instead of the broken one you've setup on its own drive. Not sure of the particulars, haven't tried it myself.

I thought the 'while true' was what you need to do to keep the program running.

so just re-write startup with just 'shell.run("awaitCommand")' and it'll work fine and shutdown when ctrl+t ??

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. The idea is that you don't want the startup script to keep running "forever" - you want it to only run for as long as the "awaitCommand" script runs.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. The idea is that you don't want the startup script to keep running "forever" - you want it to only run for as long as the "awaitCommand" script runs.

Okay cool. Got it working now. Thanks for the tips on Computercraft :D