Computer fast enough to run FTB?

Alternative__tune

Jan 18, 2021
First off I would like to say I am open to all suggestions and opinions on this matter. No wrong answers!

So here’s my current setup on my pc

Motherboard: Gigabyte AM3+ AMD

CPU: AMD FX -6350 or AMD FX 8350 (can’t remember which)

GPU: Windforce gigabyte r9 270x

RAM: 8 gb

Storage: SSD with 2 added HHD

So with this current setup I can run older modded Minecraft packs but anything new seems to struggle and eventually crash. Which is frustrating because on top of that the mod packs that I would like to run take a minimum of 10 minutes too load. I’m pretty much at the conclusion now that this setup is just not powerful enough to load such massive modpacks. So what I’m wanting too do is upgrade the CPU...RAM and motherboard

This the new parts I would like to try

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX AM4

CPU: Ryzen 3600 or Ryzen 3600x

RAM: 16 Gb DDR4 3200 ballistic

I’m keeping my GPU the same for now but I do have plans to upgrade later on. My goal is too run pretty much all moddedpacks at a steady FPS...

Any thoughts on if this new setup is powerful enough to achieve what I’m wanting too do?

Also is my old setup just dated or could there be something wrong possibly bottlenecking the whole system?

I’m also not just limiting my gaming too modded Minecraft I’m just really interested in it right now and I’ve never been able to have a good experience due to crashing...

Anyways all feed back is welcomed!

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
With your 'old' set up, your main bottleneck is your available ram.

1.12 and 1.16 mod packs require 6-8 gigs of RAM, and with you having 8, you don't really leave much for your system processes. Even if you just upgrade your RAM you should see some improvement.