computer craft monitor help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Slidy333

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running a program which tells the time in ftb but it can't get it to display the monitor in the command, i have to do that manually. how do i switch it to display on a monitor automatically.
Screen shot 2013-07-07 at 7.13.09 AM.png

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
You must wrap the peripheral (the monitor itself.) I.e. Mon = peripheral.wrap

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
You have to use the monitor handle you assigned. ie instead of

print ("stuff")

you would use

Mon.print ("stuff")

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. You could use a computer to return any piece of information to you via chat?

I am assuming that you type something into chat and that's when it returns to you all that text?

Slidy333

Jul 29, 2019
You can use the chat box with the computer to display something in chat. But if you we're on a server only you would see it.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. You could use a computer to return any piece of information to you via chat?

I am assuming that you type something into chat and that's when it returns to you all that text?

ComputerCraft doesn't interact with chat that I know of. That script you're looking at, when written correctly, would output the text to a ComputerCraft monitor.

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Do note that Monitors will not automatically clear themselves, or reset the cursor position, if you run a long program.

ComputerCraft doesn't interact with chat that I know of. That script you're looking at, when written correctly, would output the text to a ComputerCraft monitor.
Not with base ComputerCraft, at least. MiscPeripherals adds a Chatbox device that can send and receive to chat.

Slidy333

Jul 29, 2019
What do you mean by not reset it's self. I've ran a clock program for 5-6 hours and its been fine.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
What is this program for then? Is it an access point specifically created to give you the time? Why not just make a vanilla watch. It's portable.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
What is this program for then? Is it an access point specifically created to give you the time? Why not just make a vanilla watch. It's portable.

It's very tempting when someone has an issue they're trying to work through to suggest alternatives, but it's also not very constructive. They're not asking what options they have to see the time in the game, they're asking what they need to correct in their code to display their output to a monitor. Their issue also appears to have been resolved.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I'm just wondering what he's building and what the purpose of it is.

Perhaps in providing his reasoning, I can uncover the reason as to why he's chosen this specific way to find the time. Also, my first assumption as to the function of this program was incorrect, which is why I am now inquiring into what the intent is. If it isn't clear, I can reiterate =)

Slidy333

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using a computer because its much cooler then a normal clock. Also it's much handy just to see the time every once and a while

Slidy333

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, also i can see the minute and hour in minecraft rather then using the vanilla lock and seeing if it is dark or light.