Complex piping

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys

I have a tree farm. And it pumps wood intoba furnace to make charcoal and then into steam engines(changing to a boiler later )... the problem I am having is that I dont know how to make a over flow chest when either the furnace or steam engines are full ? It just ends up 9n the floor...

Is there a way for me to be able to detect when these things are full and then divert the excess coal and wood into over flow chests ?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yes, the easiest would be to put a diamond pipe directly next to the furnace, and set the output of wood to the colour facing the furnace. Then run a pipe off from the same diamond pipe to a chest. Leave that colour empty in the diamond pipe. This will always try to put the wood into the furnace, but if it cant, it will follow another free exit.
Ofc you can set up other more complex solutions, but this is the simplest and it will get the job done.

Dropkick

Jul 29, 2019
Another simple way is to use redpower tubes. They will always send items to the closest relevant spot and never spits out items.
However, if you use one of the newest pack, that isn`t an option

Sitting in a meeting ;)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
A cheaper alternative is insertion pipes, if you have them.
Kinda disagree with that, with the new increased diamond drops(No lets not discuss it, there's plenty threads about it already), I found myself limited more by lapis in the beginning of the game. And the fact that the Diamond pipe can handle other jobs too. For example it could sort out apples or saplings as well.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed and iv got that going already... I just setup the diamond pipe method and ill let you know how it works...

Besides iv been playing for 2 days and iv already got a stack of diamonds excluding the ones iv used.... eg. Quaary tools echanting table

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
If your production of wood is fluctuating you could also put a Chute on top of the furnace and pipe items with the above mentioned method into the chute. That would increase the Furnaces "buffer" to 5 stacks. Or you could increase the buffer further by putting a Hopper on top of the furnace and a chest on top of the Hopper, and pipe wood into the chest.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh this will solve that problem so nicely... thanks so much

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Another (vanilla!) solution would be hoppers. One hopper pulls from a chest, stuffing wood into the furnace or buffer chest. A second hopper below the first hopper should pull when the items have nowhere to go. I might not be remembering my mechanics quite right though.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I just found myself dealing with this situation. I used a small AE system to pick up the charcoal and then re-export it into the boilers. Works pretty well. I'm going to upgrade my storage, and then set the system to act as the storage chest as well.

What I've done now is set up the chest with a gate and pipe wire that runs off and cuts the power to the tesseract supplying the farm.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah in the end ill have to use a AE system so I can make sure they are always stocked to the max...