Communities opinion

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Woud you pay to play?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 88.2%
  • Depends

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so my server is dying people join play for a while and get bored so i dawned upon the idea of people paying $3-$5 a month to get on the server, this would allow for better hardware and the server to be supported so it wouldnt drop because of lack of funds to keep it running and i wanted to know what the community thought of the idea and if it is something you would pay for so you could be sure the server would be grief free and would be well maintained and wouldnt drop

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
A lot if of people won't I know I wouldn't I would just find a free one many more out there

Having to pay to get on a server is the wrong idea imo...

I agree completely but i dont want my server to die after putting so much work into it to get it where it is for a time we had regular players and enough donations coming in from said players that the server was self sufficient but one day i logged on and no one was on and since then the server has been like that with me being the only player

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
from looking at your server/store why not make v.i.p run out and cost 3-5 $?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Also, paying on a server means you're dedicated/locked.

i.e. You're more likely to stay on the server and invest some time, given that you spent money.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
how many players are you aiming to have on the server and how much are you aiming to make/spend?

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
Also, paying on a server means you're dedicated/locked.

i.e. You're more likely to stay on the server and invest some time, given that you spent money.

Exactly it means your more likely to stay on the server
how many players are you aiming to have on the server and how much are you aiming to make/spend?
The server atm has 20 slots and im aiming to get regular players to fill those slots and i will upgrade the server as need be

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
It also means that you don't get randoms doing random shit.

A few bucks can go a long ways in terms of building a better community. It's not that much money, but people are more apt to not be idiots on a server they had to pay for, when there are free ones.

Try it out. You're not allowed to make money, legally, so ensure you have ways to spend the extra cash you make. (Server upgrades, server contests, I dunno get creative)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
If I could pay $5 - $10 a month to join a server with a community like Mindcrack or Forgecraft, I would without a second thought. And I'm sure many others would. Your problem is convincing potential players that your server is worth their money. That will be very difficult without an already established community. You'll probably want to have at least some videos showing off the server, the people, and what sort of interactions go on between them. Something to show people what they're paying for.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
If I could pay $5 - $10 a month to join a server with community like Mindcrack or Forgecraft, I would without a second thought. And I'm sure many others would. Your problem is convincing potential players that your server is worth their money. That will be very difficult without an already established community.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not or ever going to do this kind of thing. That's like going to say a drug store and they say "oh you gotta pay 5 bucks to get in" regardless if your buying something or not. So if someone paid 5 bucks and doesn't like the server they'll get mad quickly and try and can success in hurting you more than just having "like the server? then donate whenever and/or if you can". To up the donations why not provide a "free" way to do this? referral programs spread across some hosting companies can get people to get services there return you commissions and bam you got some server cash to go around with people who care but can't/don't want to pay cash.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Now, if you can get someone to "pay to play", you'll keep them for their full "rent". But with strict whitelisting and not skimping out on anything (keep the chunk loaders), you can keep people too. But servers are like clubs. People will come to them, super popular, and they'll all leave. Then a bunch might come back again. You need something that brings the people back.

MRHeavyMetal_SIR

Jul 29, 2019
It also means that you don't get randoms doing random shit.

A few bucks can go a long ways in terms of building a better community. It's not that much money, but people are more apt to not be idiots on a server they had to pay for, when there are free ones.

Try it out. You're not allowed to make money, legally, so ensure you have ways to spend the extra cash you make. (Server upgrades, server contests, I dunno get creative)

I'm not or ever going to do this kind of thing. That's like going to say a drug store and they say "oh you gotta pay 5 bucks to get in" regardless if your buying something or not. So if someone paid 5 bucks and doesn't like the server they'll get mad quickly and try and can success in hurting you more than just having "like the server? then donate whenever and/or if you can". To up the donations why not provide a "free" way to do this? referral programs spread across some hosting companies can get people to get services there return you commissions and bam you got some server cash to go around with people who care but can't/don't want to pay cash.

Now, if you can get someone to "pay to play", you'll keep them for their full "rent". But with strict whitelisting and not skimping out on anything (keep the chunk loaders), you can keep people too. But servers are like clubs. People will come to them, super popular, and they'll all leave. Then a bunch might come back again. You need something that brings the people back.

I try my best to keep players, the server is friendly as possible i try to pick staff that are friendly and actually helpful and so far the only things i have banned is making ages and placing chicken chunk loaders but you can still place spotloaders and world anchors and i try to make my server feel like a community because thats the type of server i like myself but people play for a few weeks and then leave

Reactions: PeggleFrank