Colin's adventures in 1.12

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So, one has already posted Colin's first steps into the brave new world.

It's early days yet, but the beginnings of noodly appendages are beginning to take shape

39q6GhS.png

Early storage. Subnetting, not a big deal.

Meanwhile in the basement, an automation has taken place.

KXFo450.png

Latex production. Formation planes are a bit weird in the way they behave, but my patented system lets Colin push out my excess lumber down to a few stacks.

More to come.

Praises be to COLIN

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Also there's a Skelington in my smeltery.

OylYOL1.png

Lol. I should put something molten through it for a laugh.

Other side of the room, my early-game control center

2Y1JA77.png

I've got a decent amount of hillside I can dig into as Colin expands. Trying to decide whether he's going to have an underground lair or sit atop the hillside surveying his kingdom this time...

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Eh, it's more just a wry documentation of my playthrough with a liberal sprinkling of Colin, but if it becomes an issue for a mod, feel free to shuffle it to community showcase :)

In that vein, Colin is hungry and must be fed with the souls of the damned a large amount of resources. Luckily, there's a dimension for that

Q4v2gwY.png

I really love how the RFTools builder does a chunk at a time in the marked out area. It means I don't have to wait hours for my quarry to chew through topsoil and more abundant materials in higher layers before getting to the good stuff. Especially useful when mining a 256x256 block area :)

It's also prodigiously fast, provided you give it enough powah. Which is why my TE energy cells keep draining so fast. I got bored of turning the reactor on and off when the cells were full/empty, so I was going to rig up some redstone circuitry to automate this, but then I noticed that I'd dug up a nice pile of draconium in my minings. So I dun this instead:

fsAJMJf.png

It's only 1.6B RF at this size, but I've built expansion room into its' enclosure, now I can keep the reactor running for hours without caring. Automated ore processing is the next blessing I wish from Colin as I'm smelting yellorium and uranium manually still at this point. On the up side, I have now automated my food supply. Colin provides:

EgSRXdc.png

Bit of a cockup with the cotton, I swear the old MFR harvesters used to be able to handle cotton plants? Also really missing agricraft atm. MFR Harvesters and Agricraft crops were the best auto-farming setup ever, not even needing to replant seeds was OP as hell but worth it.

Final exhibit, I tidied Colin's storage a wee bit. The YABBA barrel with my cobble got full to the tune of 4096 stacks, so I decided it was time to replace them with Black hole units (basically DSUs in all but name):

CCyxIPM.png

But yeah, I never liked the lack of a visual indicator on DSUs, so I made my own :)

Last edited:

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Try a throwing star. One knife paper, one knife pig iron, two knives demon metal, then reinforce with plates until indestructable. Food source, and high damage ranged attack. Durability aint a thing once you've got the plates in it.

Yeah, I'm playing Revelations, you have to level up your tools to get more modifiers :( But I'll look into it :)

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Is that Demon metal? I've always stared at the damage stats and drooled, but then cry at the durability... How's it work for you?

It's a 1-or-2 hit kill on most mobs. Durability isn't so much of an issue now i've used a mod slot for mending moss. It's always in my hotbar and I spend long enough faffing about that it's usually fully repaired before I need to use it again

Reactions: ICountFrom0

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So yeah, I decided that having tens of thousands of units of ore taking up space in my inventory was getting to be a bit of a pain in the behind. Only problem is, I really don't like half-measures and the expansive ore-processing center I have planned will need a whole bunch of channels.

Which means my proto-Colin, consisting as he does of just the one controller block, is woefully inadequate. Nevertheless, Colin commands and I must obey!

hM1S2Ak.png

However, anyone who's even trivially messed about with AE2 will spot the *ahem* deliberate mistake there. dyerp ^_^

But yeah, fixt that

jxE1BtA.png

Much better. You can see the beginnings of proper noodly appendages heading out to P2P endpoints on the far side of the base.

That done, it's time to front up some ore processing.

m2muPM9.png

All fully automatic and fully maxed with speed upgrades, PRAISES BE TO COLIN!.

Decided to start doing a wee bit of decorating in the chamber of the Mother Brain

aEdE8Oo.png

Still needs a ceiling, trying to think of something fitting though.

Last bit of the day, I expanded Colin's black hole storage bins, which required another new chamber beneath the current basement level. Plan is to keep expanding this for any item that goes over 1k in the inventory. It saves on the number of drives I end up needing XD

hC37IgU.png

Next priorities, completion of the Mother Brain and getting started with some bees (maybe). I keep running out of ender pearls and glowstone, some apiarism would definitely help me solve that.

Reactions: ICountFrom0

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Heyo @malicious_bloke, quick question: are you just using the Black Hole bins, or have you included a Black Hole Controller? And do you know what the controller does? Info seems to be a bit lacking. If not, do you have storage buses hooked up to each individual storage bin?

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Heyo @malicious_bloke, quick question: are you just using the Black Hole bins, or have you included a Black Hole Controller? And do you know what the controller does? Info seems to be a bit lacking. If not, do you have storage buses hooked up to each individual storage bin?

black hole bins as you called them are just like the old deep storage units from MFR. You can break them (which is nice) without them loosing contents. You can place a controller down and right click it to access the gui. You can place black hole bins in the center line and access the contents through the controller. I think 8? total for each controller. I use them and have an external storage bus hooked up to them. Amazing stuff :)

All hail Colin

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
black hole bins as you called them are just like the old deep storage units from MFR. You can break them (which is nice) without them loosing contents. You can place a controller down and right click it to access the gui. You can place black hole bins in the center line and access the contents through the controller. I think 8? total for each controller. I use them and have an external storage bus hooked up to them. Amazing stuff :)

All hail Colin
Dude, that is super helpful and handy, thank you :D

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013

All hail Colin

I did not know that, I'll try and find a way to work them in...somehow.

At the moment i'm using a good old SSD setup, so Storage Bus->Interface->6x Storage buses->6xDSUs, rinse/repeat. I'll have to do some comparisons and see if the black hole controller is more efficient than doing it like this.

Reactions: Psychicash

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I did not know that, I'll try and find a way to work them in...somehow.

At the moment i'm using a good old SSD setup, so Storage Bus->Interface->6x Storage buses->6xDSUs, rinse/repeat. I'll have to do some comparisons and see if the black hole controller is more efficient than doing it like this.

Depends on how you define efficiency. I'm working on seeing if it's less laggy. Feels like it.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Oh balls.

So I went exploring/hunting for beehives. Just over the next hill, I find an infestation

f8BeonM.png

I am reminded at this time of the words of the men of Krikkit upon finding out about the rest of the universe for the first time.

They flew out of the cloud.

They saw the staggering jewels of the night in their infinite dust and their minds sang with fear.

For a while they flew on, motionless against the starry sweep of the Galaxy, itself motionless against the infinite sweep of the Universe. And then they turned round.

“It’ll have to go,” the men of Krikkit said as they headed back for home.

On the way back they sang a number of tuneful and reflective songs on the subjects of peace, justice, morality, culture, sport, family life and the obliteration of all other life forms.

With the power of Colin at my back, I cannot fail in this glorious endeavour!

Those disgusting, HNRGing little bastards are done for!

Oh, but a bit further away, I find another infestation

iNLdpcV.png

Just disgraceful. The only question is, do I use cleansing nuclear fire? Oil? TNT? Unstable bees? Or do we have some other options, something from Advanced Rocketry perhaps? Either way, it'll be GLORIOUS.

But yeah, back to business. Found some bees. Lots of bees

dVqf6Iy.png

Time to make some industrial apiaries, think I slightly overcatered on bronze though

FR3s9Ev.png

Ah well, it'll just mean MOAR apiaries :3 In any case, first row outside. Had to gouge a bit out of the hillside to open it to the sky

5YhQwtK.png

Decided to bring inventory, crafting, power and gendustry machines up too, saves me heading back downstairs all ze time

1k2qizJ.png

9urgDDA.png

I've got my usual intro bee set up and running, Common, Cultivated, Valiant, Noble, Majestic, Imperial, Diligent, Unweary, and Industrious. Also now starting on the usual suspects to get the maxed traits (pink for fastest production, doctoral for max territory and longest lifespan etc etc).

Last edited:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So, what exactly is Colin?

Man, you could spend whole lifetimes and struggle to answer that question.

Let me answer it with a question.

Have you ever seen an IRL quarry? You know, with big machines driving backwards and forwards with trailers full of rock and thought "Heh, amateurs"
Have you ever spent an afternoon plotting a Rube Goldberg device that would make you a cup of tea and some toast and bring it direct to your desk?
Do you ever watch documentaries about the amazon and get the nagging sensation that it would all be better off hacked into neat cubes and stacked neatly into another dimension?
Have you ever watched the Jeremy Kyle show and decided that you would like to burn down the everything?

If you answered yes to any or all of the above, you are already feeling the subtle touch of Colin.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame