Coding group

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not really looking for a group to work on a single mod together it's more that I work better when I have someone to talk to that understands to some degree what I'm doing. What I would like to do is get some form of chat set up that people can join and "talk shop" whenever they are in the mood for it.

The only persistent chats that I know of are teamspeak and razer comms, the latter being my preferred choice.

Discord is what we have decided on for now.
Here is a link for Discord.

Last edited:

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I'm down with this sort of thing. There's also Slack and IRC, which are nice because they're already used a bunch in this community, and bots are fun.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I was thing more of voice chat, than strictly typing chat. I haven't come across anything that pairs voice with the ability to add bots for typed chat. And thanks for all the likes Santa, just got me a trophy lol.

Reactions: SatanicSanta

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I understand where you're coming from, and I can see the attraction of having people you can chat with and bounce ideas off of in real time. However, given that modders are generally geographically and temporally separated, you might find that what starts off as a good idea quickly fizzles out into an empty teamspeak channel. IRC is sometimes better in this regard, in that sometimes, though not always, there are more people found lurking around there, and lively discussions that start in IRC can easily be moved to Teamspeak if desired. Slack offers the knowledge retention of a forum section with the added benefit of IRC-like chat, Github integration, numerous collaboration tools and even bots. Again, this can be supplemented with Teamspeak, Mumble or whatever the VoIP flavor of the day is.

Granted, you can also probably also find existing IRC channels or forums that offer this, but they may already be dying, too specialized in their focus, too elitist in whom they want to chat with or "op" in channels, or just have members who are too battle-scarred and weary from inevitable drama that pops up whenever more than two people enter a channel for any length of time to really get invested in newcomers to the group.

In any event, I'd like to hear more if anything comes of this!

Reactions: SatanicSanta

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
The only difference I can see between that and Razer Comms is that Comms requires a client for voice chatting. Unless I missed something that still cant do bots.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Another (albeit subjective) opinion on options:

Source: http://www.gameskinny.com/axlrp/voi...curse-voice-vs-ventrillo-vs-mumble-vs-discord

Curse Voice and Razer Comms -- No.
I grouped Curse Voice and Razer Comms into the same category because the synopsis for both of them is very similar.

In essence, both of these programs look a lot better than they run. While playing games that these programs actually support (i.e.: Smite for Curse Voice) then it's pretty cool because of the specialized features.

However, that doesn't excuse the poor quality, lagging, incredible confusing user-interface, and lack of features or customization.

In short, skip both Curse Voice and Razer Comms for now.

and

Discord -- The Noob That Wins It All
My personal favorite on this list, Discord, is the new, fresh fighter ready to enter the ring for the title fight with a good possibility of knocking everyone out for the belt.

Free to use and pretty to look at, Discord is steadily becoming many gamer's VoIP of choice and it's very obvious to see why.

Pros
  • 100% free to use
  • Best audio codec of the list (OPUS audio codec)
  • Average amount of features
  • User-friendly interface
  • Low latency
Cons
  • Still in beta
  • Average amount of features
There really isn't anything detrimental, or even upsetting in general, about Discord, which is why it's the VoIP I recommended the most out of all the programs listed.

Free, easy to use, aesthetically appealing, I have no complaints with the new VoIP on the block thus far, and I can only imagine it becoming even better with time.

Hope that helps.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Were you thinking of "shop talk" as being modding discussion in general, non-programmer terms, specific to one or more minecraft versions, more geared to design philosophy and meta-issues of cross-mod interaction, more technically-oriented coding assistance discussion, conceptual brainstorming, or simply a place to shoot the breeze about whatever comes to mind at the moment?

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, personally I have never had any problems with Razer Comms, but after looking at discord it is growing on me.

As for the meaning of "talk shop", I am assuming that there are other modders who don't necessarily want just music or silence while they code. For a while I had found another person working on his own mod and we would regularly get in voice chat and discuss some of the ideas we wanted to add how we might add them and sometimes helping each other trouble shoot particular things. It helped keep me motivated and I would like to find something like that again. I figure since I'm looking for something like this odds are someone else is too, so I might as well try to make it as open to as many people as I can.

Trying to figure out right now if I can get MCPBot to work in discord.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, my biggest problem with Razer Comms is that there is only a client for Windows.

And chances are you won't be able to get MCPBot to work on your own because it requires its own database and stuff. It's also built on IRC technologies.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
And android but I suppose people use linux and apple too.

Yea I don't know that I have the time let alone would want to undertake the project of rewriting the bot for discord, although I have seen some discussions of it being able to link up with IRC so at some point it might even be able to just connect the two chats.

Added a link to the Discord group to the OP, its more flexible than RC is.

Last edited:

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I had set it to unlimited ... must not have regenerated the first time, link has been updated

Zein Eizoku

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to revive such an old post... just curious is this was still a thing using discord... I have been... er. away. for a very long while. If it is not a thing any more just shoo me away with a broom or something haha :p