Cobblegen

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sotek90

Jul 29, 2019
Hello Fellow FTB'ers!

Me and my brother are both a big fan of stone bricks, unfortunately without RP2 we havent found a way to make an auto cobblegen (we cant find a way to break blocks).
So maybe one of you has a suggestion?

PS no Computercraft please

Freightrain

Jul 29, 2019
Igneous Extruder. You can actually generate smooth stone with it as well.
Then feed that into a TE (or similar) Powered furnace, and then a Factorization Packager, which will churn out stone bricks all in line automatically (with some energy input).

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
The Igneous Extruder from Thermal Expansion. Place lava and water inside and it will generate cobblestone, smooth stone or obsidian. Cobble is free, while smooth stone consumes a small amount of lava, and obsidian uses a bucket of each.

Like all TE machines, it will output to any pipe or inventory (like a chest or furnace) on an orange side.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Easy answer, and a clearly worded question. And I would do the following:

Igneous extruder => powered furnace (thermal expansion) => chest => autocrafting table => wooden pipe with autarchic gate => diamond chest.

Power the furnace with a couple of redstone engines, and you have energy free stone brick manufacturing!

Edit: Should produce a stone brick every 3.75 seconds on average.

Sotek90

Jul 29, 2019
Haha I am loving how people post entire set-ups,loving the ideas and will make my own machine with this!

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
Just thinking, and would the first chest even be necessary? Does any one know if you set up the powered furnace with no output side, would the autocrafting table consider it an inventory and pull the smooth stone straight out of it? I'm at work, so can't try it out.

Phoenix591

Jul 29, 2019
could also go gregtech with the electric rock breaker (gens cobble by default, obsidian if redstone dust put into the bottom, itl feed into a chest next to it) , though its a little more expensive it only takes around 32 EU/t after its built.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Autocrafting table can only use items from a chest next to it or piped into it.

Powered furnace needs a minimum of 0.5MJ/t power and 4 redstone engines is only 0.2MJ/t so it won't even work with that. You need 2MJ/t to get full speed on the furnace which is not much, almost any other engine will be enough.

You could also use electric furnace or induction furnace which would be super fast and could keep up with the igneous extruder.

But igneous extruder can produce smooth stone directly if you feed lava and water for it. Aqueous accumulator handles the water easily and lava usage is one bucket's worth for 500 smooth stone. You need to feed one bucket of lava every 33 minutes. This uses no power at all unless you want to use magma crucible for the lava which is pretty expensive to run.

Powered furnace uses 2mj/t max. Red stone engines produce 1 each.
They produce 1 MJ every time they push which is once in a second, not every tick.

bigtwisty

Jul 29, 2019
I stand corrected. You are right. I guess you still have a few good options. An electric engine would power it for 6 eu/t, or upgraded at 5eu/t. An ic2 electric furnace would do it for 3 eu/t, but would not auto eject the smooth stone into the chest, necessitating another wooden pipe/Antarctic gate combo. Or just wait for RedPower.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Well not sure, the Redstone-Engines used to produce 0,1 EU/t, which will only output if it reaches 1 (so every half second).

What I do is placing an Igneous Extruder 3 spaces away from each other and between them two powered furnaces and in the middle a chest (I used iron, since I wasn't that far into the techtree to waste diamonds for a chest). Both furnaces are powered by 4 redstone-engines. It really isn't a fast method to optain smoothstone, but if you do other things the chest will collect a nice amount of it. The setup also is very compact, it only uses 5x3x3 blocks and you could hide it easily.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well not sure, the Redstone-Engines used to produce 0,1 EU/t, which will only output if it reaches 1 (so every half second).

Nope, Buildcraft engines output energy "per stroke", meaning they dump whatever they have accumulated internally the moment the piston reaches the front. This is true for all Buildcraft engines, and should be true for all Buildcraft compatible engines (though I can't prove it).

A redstone engine generates 0.05 MJ/t, regardless of piston speed, which adds up to 1 MJ per second. However, it is special in the way that it has a limit of 1 MJ output per stroke. Since it strokes much slower than once per second initially, it will start building up energy inside itself because the piston doesn't move fast enough to get rid of it. As more and more energy builds up, the engine changes color and the piston moves faster and faster. Once it hits the red stage, the piston moves faster than once per second, meaning it dumps energy faster than it can produce it, and therefore it drops down to yellow. At which point the piston slows down to less than one stroke per second, meaning it once more generates more energy than it can dump, which accelerates it to the red stage...

That is why Redstone engines flash yellow/red when reaching "optimal temperature". They hit an equilibrium exactly between those two states where the stroke length is exactly 20 ticks and therefore the output is exactly 1 MJ per second, which is exactly how much it produces internally.

Other engines aren't as hard limited. For example, a stirling engine will never move away from blue on its own, because every stroke can dump far more energy than it can produce internally during the time, even on blue. They will only change color if there's nothing to accept the energy (or not all of the energy), or other engines daisy-chain into it. Stirling engines are made for daisy-chaining.

A combustion engine doesn't even change color based on internal energy, but rather on temperature which is generated alongside energy but not dumped by the piston. That's why it needs cooling.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure that's not the pulverizer? That's the one that's driving the 400-800 MJ grinding recipes. By contrast the powered furnace usually only needs 150 MJ per smelting operation.