Cobble: Keep it or destroy it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MnBran6

Jul 29, 2019
We currently have tons of barrels full of cobble and I'm not sure if I want to keep it (in hopes that it'll be useful in EE3...even thought we could just get more) or just trash it. What do you do with your cobble?

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
We currently have tons of barrels full of cobble and I'm not sure if I want to keep it (in hopes that it'll be useful in EE3...even thought we could just get more) or just trash it. What do you do with your cobble?
I usually then start filling barrels of Solid Stone, Stone Bricks, Sand, and Glass. :p

Scrap is also a good idea. Even if you don't use a Mass Fab, you can make it into Scrapboxes, load em up in a deployer, and use an obsidian pipe to pick up the drops. You have a chance of getting diamonds, iron, or gold that way.

__HATE__

Jul 29, 2019
Quantum chest (assuming your using Mindcrack) if not then do the above. I like keeping it so I can macerate it into sand to make TNT to then make industrial TNT for Iridium plates.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I keep about a chest's worth and toss the rest. I have an automatic system that turns on a few cobble generators if it starts running low. I don't really see a point in hoarding it as it's so easy to produce in pretty much limitless quantities when needed.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just pack mine away somewhere, either in a barrel (or twelve), or in a big chest somewhere. Never know when you might want some sand (and/or sand products) and be too lazy to go out and dig it up.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
If I don't void it coming off of the quarry then I keep it. I keep everything. Sure it is easily made but chances are I will use it at some point and I see no point in waiting on a generator to make a ton more for me.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I just void pipe it because I get too much of it and you can make it for free with an Iqnious extruder anyway. I have an ignious extruder that keeps a single chest filled with the stuff and that's enough for me. I do the same with smoothstone.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
My plans are to keep a single barrel of each material, and send the rest into recyclers for random scrapbox fun. So it's a bit like destroying the stuff, but with having to add extra build to do so. Void pipe just seems a waste to me.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Right now I'm playing mindcrack- so I send it through a pulveriser, you generate extra gravel (flint), and mix the sand with phosphor (demonic bees) for cheap lava....
Gregtech adds some pretty sweet chemical processes, so essentially I turn the cobble into tin/gold/iron ect...​

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Well, with how easy it is to create cobble with thermal expansion I don't consider it a waste. Dirt on the other hand I do keep more off because it's a bit harder to produce (macerating plantballs, which I can create from sugarcane but I need those for my fermenters).

Reactions: Juanitierno

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Well, with how easy it is to create cobble with thermal expansion I don't consider it a waste. Dirt on the other hand I do keep more off because it's a bit harder to produce (macerating plantballs, which I can create from sugarcane but I need those for my fermenters).

^
That

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Presumption of IC2. For those who don't have IC2 cobble is just a building resource. After 3 iron chests of it I started voiding it.

Even with IC2... why would you bother to pump cobble into a recycler if you can just place an igneous extruder on top of it. If you have the energy pump all the cobble into a rockcrusher, which might give you diamonds and gold and after turning it into gravel you get sand too (although you end up with tons of sand, which is hardly more useful).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I would bother, as apart from my play on the FTB pyramid map, I avoid cobblegen systems. I prefer my renewable raw materials to be organic (fauna and flora).

Toadzilla

Jul 29, 2019
I have 55k cobble...whenever i hit 60k i just re-route my diamond pipe ( between my mine's ender chest to the sorting system) into a void pipe

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
If I ever get to the point that I think I'll have too much I'll probably first turn it into other build materials like Glass, Stone, Stone Bricks, Half Slabs, Stone Brick Half Slabs, etc. If I ever get enough of those as well I'll probably void the stuff, but for the time being I don't think I'll ever reach that much because I prefer IC2 Miners over BC Quarries. Unless I start hollowing out a giant pit in the ground or something I don't think I'll ever gather so much more than I need that I have to start voiding it.