Coal from Charcoal

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
H

headsh0t_harry

Hi all, is there a way to make coal from charcoal within Infitech 2 / Gregtech 5?

Many thanks

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Don't think so. NEI would show it if there was (although granted it could be a fairly roundabout way)

I can't think of any thaumcraft tricks or chemical-reactor tricks or whatnot that will do what you're trying to do.

May I ask *why* you want coal instead of charcoal?

H

headsh0t_harry

Thanks Pyure, no problem - just a thought - wanted coal as I have a bunch of Coke Ovens producing Charcoal, but wanted to make industrial diamond rather than heading out to hunt for it - and you can do that with (lots) of coal right?

Thanks again :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks Pyure, no problem - just a thought - wanted coal as I have a bunch of Coke Ovens producing Charcoal, but wanted to make industrial diamond rather than heading out to hunt for it - and you can do that with (lots) of coal right?

Thanks again :)
Yes you sure can. Good news I suppose is that there's lots of coal veins, however, of course, you do need to process that coal in an annoying fashion for the most part.

Good luck with your diamonds :)

Reactions: headsh0t_harry

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
once upon a time, MFR had an involved process where you could produce coal by using slaughterhouses and meat packers/pink slime -> cooked meat -> coal

did that get the nerf bat? I've seen quite an aversion to automating coal production thru means other than mining the ore

H

headsh0t_harry

I've seen quite an aversion to automating coal production thru means other than mining the ore

I guess that with the right setup, with your tree farm and coke ovens, automating coal from charcoal would lead the way to easy diamond - maybe they didn't want that given they are supposed to be rare?

Anyway, thank you all for comments - as ever, continuing to learn more and still really enjoying Infitech and GT. Tough, but to be honest, I don't know any better, so meh! :)

Cheers,

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
once upon a time, MFR had an involved process where you could produce coal by using slaughterhouses and meat packers/pink slime -> cooked meat -> coal

did that get the nerf bat? I've seen quite an aversion to automating coal production thru means other than mining the ore
I think the reasoning behind that is mainly a holdover from the realism thing. You can't just "make" coal, its formed over millions of years (magical methods like mystical crops, equivalent exchange etc notwithstanding), so I suspect the same manner of thinking is the reason behind why no-one really looks at doing it any other way!

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
I (magical methods like mystical crops, equivalent exchange etc notwithstanding)

and yet you can produce every metal, gem and mob drop that can be mined/hacked/slashed/smashed with magical crops. i know, i abused the living bejesus out of it. I once tried making an AE network that could produce literally almost every item you could craft in FTB Monster using a gigantic assembler and a single 9x9 plot using mc seeds. It was not fun to set it up all that ;)

I miss the old xycraft autocrafters with the EE recipes (ultimate pack)...lemme recall, it was cobble->gravel->flint->clay->iron->gold->diamond. it required a LOT of cobble to get to a diamond (1000+ blocks?), never mind the pain of setting up a mob trap with the powersuit weapon to get the minium shard drops...oh the fun of automation ;)

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
If you could convert charcoal to coal, you would be able to chain the infinitely renewable wood to charcoal to coal to coal coke. I'm sure the pack makers never intended for easily renewable coal coke, even though the transfer process would be slow and a PITA to set up.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
and yet you can produce every metal, gem and mob drop that can be mined/hacked/slashed/smashed with magical crops. i know, i abused the living bejesus out of it. I once tried making an AE network that could produce literally almost every item you could craft in FTB Monster using a gigantic assembler and a single 9x9 plot using mc seeds. It was not fun to set it up all that ;)

I miss the old xycraft autocrafters with the EE recipes (ultimate pack)...lemme recall, it was cobble->gravel->flint->clay->iron->gold->diamond. it required a LOT of cobble to get to a diamond (1000+ blocks?), never mind the pain of setting up a mob trap with the powersuit weapon to get the minium shard drops...oh the fun of automation ;)
Yeah, that’s kind of what I meant :) the onl methods for doing it tend to exist in magical mode only. Though (and I might have imagined this) was there a charcoal to coal conversion using the Matter Transformer in Age of Engineering? I thought I saw that when someone was flicking through.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I guess that with the right setup, with your tree farm and coke ovens, automating coal from charcoal would lead the way to easy diamond - maybe they didn't want that given they are supposed to be rare?

Anyway, thank you all for comments - as ever, continuing to learn more and still really enjoying Infitech and GT. Tough, but to be honest, I don't know any better, so meh! :)

Cheers,

Just wondering - what do you need 'lots' of diamonds for (in infitech)?. I never found I needed loads but I never got to late game so I could be missing something. I don't ever remember needing more than one coal vein.

PS You might want to use hammers rather than picks to mine coal, to cut out one level of processing.