Chunkloader woes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
So I was on a server a friend invited me to and got to like the people as well as FTB. The person running the server had a "golden rule" against using chunk loaders of any type, which was only a huge issue on our second map when he altered some files to allow ic2 easymode recipes. When people used the chunk loaders anyway, he almost shut down the server out of anger, under the assumption that everyone had to know he didn't allow chunk loaders (not everyone knew, and it was strange he didn't just disable them). He said he was getting huge pages of chunk loader errors, I think it was an error with the word anchor or something in it, anyway...New map YET AGAIN and its Ultimate. Finally have stuff up and running, and when I try to log on, I find out he shut down the servers due to people using chunk loaders again.

I have to ask...wtf could be going on here? I know he hasn't altered any files, but is anyone else having issues with chunk loaders? I can't find any threads relating to this problem he's having, as in my opinion, chunk loaders are an amazing tool and shouldn't be causing so much trouble unless irresponsibly used. I mean how are you supposed to run any distant systems in FTB without any type of chunk loader??? He wants NONE of them...world anchors, spot loaders, probably even quarries but he hasnt said anything about those yet.

What can I do here to help remedy the situation? I DON'T want to go to a different server, but I DO want him to not have such a grudge against chunk loaders (portal guns too, which doesnt make sense).

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Chunk loaders have a lot of issues as the more you use them the harder the server has to work all the time and if you use too many it can cripple a server. Also if do something bad with in the boundary of your chunk loader the whole server can be made to suffer for it even if your not on until it is fixed. Which is why it is always best to use as little as possible and build your machines/builds to fit into as few chunks as possible.

So from that prospective I can understand his hatred at them, which personally it would be best for them to find a recipe blocker to prevent people from making them.

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, admin's an idiot. If you dont want someone to use something, disable it. There are a bunch of ways.

I agree, chunk loaders are troublesome, but to claim "i'm shutting down the server because people wont follow the rules" is indicative of someone with deeper issues.

Reactions: MaxwellJoneZ

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, While I can see why the admin shut down the server, I can also see why you used the loaders in the first place. Some things I need chunk/spot loaders just so they work properly like if I'm pumping oil from a far away location, need a chunk loader to keep thermal generators supplied with nether lava, ect. I ALWAYS have a chunk loader in my house though. It's very useful as it does things such as keeping the matter fabricator running and anything that would enter my house via tesseracts and pipes will work as they should.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed. They're a great tool if used properly, it's when people do things like having poor storage for a mob spawner and leaving it running to spit items everywhere, or the same w/ a quarry spitting stone all over the place.

Yeah, admin's an idiot. If you dont want someone to use something, disable it. There are a bunch of ways.

I agree, chunk loaders are troublesome, but to claim "i'm shutting down the server because people wont follow the rules" is indicative of someone with deeper issues.

100% with you there. About 10 minutes ago he notified us that he was shutting down the servers due to lack of his interest and interest in general. I would have been willing to pay for the server if he hadn't gone so overboard with the amount of people allowed on. We had a small community yes, average was about 4 people on at certain times, and would go up to 8. I think he had one that could fit 10 times that but I'm not totally sure...I know it was bigger than necessary...

Kind of annoying, so I have no choice but to either make my own server and invite friends (which i would rather not do), or join someone elses. Or maybe just take a break from ftb ~_~

Tiny Gadget Bunny

Jul 29, 2019
If you are still looking for a FTB server with nice people and the ability to use a World Anchor or Chunk loader please let me know. I run a small 8 to 10 person server that is just in its beginning stages. Myself and a friend ran into a lot of the same attitudes in general, and were totally dismayed as to how often server admins dump others hard work without even a second thought. We are currently working on a 2 month old map and outside of normal updates by the FTB Team, we have no intentions of deleting that world anytime soon or ever for that matter. Again if you and your friend want a nice normal place to play without a ton of issues and attitude, please let me know and I will get the two of you setup.Also note that at anytime you request given a 24 hour notice (usually much sooner) we will supply you with a backup file of the world so that your hard work is forever saved.

TGB

Reactions: Growle

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
I had my first issue with a chunk loader the other day.

Has to be something to do with the fact Quarries are loading chunks and then when you put down a chunk loader, and it's placed inside a chuck loaded by the quarry already. Poof things dissappear.
I am still using my chunk loader though. Just placing it well enough away from the quarry but in range of the ender chests and piping system. So the quarry and the chuck loader are overlapping some chucks but the chunk loader itself is not placed in a quarry loaded chunk. That seems to be when it falls over. Would be interesting to find out if those chunks are loading twice actually or maybe thats where the error is occuring.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Chunkloaders are simply needed on servers running FTB. You get into nasty issues when only a part of your base (producing items) is chunkloaded and another part (storing items) isn't. Aside from building everything in one single chunk the only way around this is to use chunkloaders. That admin is simply uninformed and should not be running a server. So I suggest you and your friend find another server or rent one together. It's not expensive at all.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
My steam locomotive includes an anchor cart. Just outside my RC chunk-loaded base is a CC spot loader, to keep the station always loaded to accept charcoal whilst the train is away.

EVERY time the train nears my base, my frame rate drops to 3 FPS and the only way to clear it is to hit Escape. Its clearly a conflict when chunkloaders overlap, but who knows where the root of the problem lies? CC, Railcraft or Forge's chunk loading in general?

Sigh.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
From other posts here it is possible to reset a chunk if you use a quarry and add a extra chunk loader over lapping it, but I think it is only if the quarry is in another dimension.

Best thing to do seems to compartmentalize your base into separate chunks with buffers or shut offs between chunks to prevent issues. The only other option is the native chunk loading in vanilla minecraft such as the area around spawn on a server is always loaded but this only applies to a limited area.

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Considering the /quarry/ is a chunck loader, it's nearly impossable to run FTB without some chunk loading.
Most players will use way less then an online player worth of chunks though if you educate rather then herpa-derp

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
If your a server admin then the best thing you could do is use a recipe blocker to disable all chunk loaders including the quarry. Once all the chunk loaders are gone setup a system to give each new person x number of spot loaders. Which can easily be done with a CC player detector and command blocks to teleport the player into to a cell before giving him the loaders and teleporting him back. This way each new person who clicks the player detector will get his chunk loaders and their name will be added to a list to prevent them from getting more.

For added fun you can setup a currency system to allow people to buy extra spot loaders using the above system.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
My steam locomotive includes an anchor cart. Just outside my RC chunk-loaded base is a CC spot loader, to keep the station always loaded to accept charcoal whilst the train is away.

EVERY time the train nears my base, my frame rate drops to 3 FPS and the only way to clear it is to hit Escape. Its clearly a conflict when chunkloaders overlap, but who knows where the root of the problem lies? CC, Railcraft or Forge's chunk loading in general?

Sigh.

Try turning off your in-game sound and see if you still drop to 3 FPS when the train comes in. There was a thread on this issue a while back and it's believed to be the games sound engine that causes the FPS drops. If you also get massive FPS drops when walking about near lava in the nether and when walking away from flowing water and mob spawner noise then it's pretty much guaranteed that it's the game sound engine causing the issues.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah chunk loaders + world anchors or quarries = potential problems. I don't think a lot of people understand that their quarry doesn't need any additional chunk loader.

I'm a fan of the Personal Loader (only works when player is logged in), and restricting all other chunk loaders.

Reactions: danidas

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
If you are still looking for a FTB server with nice people and the ability to use a World Anchor or Chunk loader please let me know. I run a small 8 to 10 person server that is just in its beginning stages. Myself and a friend ran into a lot of the same attitudes in general, and were totally dismayed as to how often server admins dump others hard work without even a second thought. We are currently working on a 2 month old map and outside of normal updates by the FTB Team, we have no intentions of deleting that world anytime soon or ever for that matter. Again if you and your friend want a nice normal place to play without a ton of issues and attitude, please let me know and I will get the two of you setup.Also note that at anytime you request given a 24 hour notice (usually much sooner) we will supply you with a backup file of the world so that your hard work is forever saved.

TGB

Thanks! I literally just coughed up some cash for a small 8man server about 3 days ago, but considering it was just me and my friend it's almost TOO quiet... I wish I had bumped into your reply sooner (even though it was just yesterday). I will still take your offer into consideration, the people I rented the server from offer a 7 day refund.

That being said, I do prefer the smaller servers / communities. If nothing else, it would be cool to just meet some new people ;) I'll toss you a PM, and tbh I don't know why I didn't just make this a PM, but it's ok lol.

Tiny Gadget Bunny

Jul 29, 2019
Not a problem at all. Just let me know and I will get it handled. I know what you mean about quite too. That was myself and friend and one day we just decided that we needed to expand the horizons a little and start inviting others. It can be so much more fun than always being alone, and besides if you play alone all the time; just who do you brag to about the neat machine you just made :p hehe. Hope to see you there.

TGB